Hypothetical: if Anthony Pettis won the FW championship.....

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Lets say anthony Pettis beats Max and then wins the real title vs aldo afterward.

he would be a 2 weight champion. But would he get credit for it? What I mean is, he started losing fights at LW since he dropped the championship to RDA. Wouldn't that kind of taint his FW championship win, as he wasn't able to compete at LW so he moved to a smaller division? Or is FW maybe more difficult than LW?

what say sherdog?

in b4 someone mentions conor

BJ and Randy had their fair share of losses. 2 belts is 2 belts brother

The real question is that - If he wins the interim, do you still consider him to be a 2 weight champ?

What really taints being a two weight champ is when you leapfrog the top 10 to get your first title shot, don't defend it, and then leapfrog the top 10 to get your second title shot all while going 1-1 against a 19-11 fighter somewhere in the middle.

Or when you lose twice then get the immediate title shot in a smaller division. (Frankie)

He wasn't even a current champ. Its not like he won then took on the new divisions champ. He just got the shot.

If Pettis wins he will have held 2 belts with a large time frame in between.

He has already won more championships than me.

Detractors will say "he's no Conor. Conor held two simultaneously and never lost his title"

I'd give him all the credit in the world though

maybe, but is moving down taking the easier road?
I get that point of view. In my eyes, if you can make a certain weight then there's no dishonour in it. He was either small for lightweight or had to lose muscle to become a featherweight anyway. Or USADA did that but who knows.

What really taints being a two weight champ is when you leapfrog the top 10 to get your first title shot, don't defend it, and then leapfrog the top 10 to get your second title shot all while going 1-1 against a 19-11 fighter somewhere in the middle.

Wrong on every front.

Conor beat Mendes.

Conor then went on to beat Aldo, and then immediately tried to make history as first ever two weight world champ. Lost the Diaz fight, but Diaz is no joke and is heavily underrated. Got his well deserved rematch and overcame massive amounts of adversity, and then proceeded to headline arguably the biggest mma event of all time in the second only UFC Superfight, where he came out victorious and made history.

He has already won more championships than me.

Detractors will say "he's no Conor. Conor held two simultaneously and never lost his title"

I'd give him all the credit in the world though
If he beats Max and Aldo that's like a comeback story movie worthy.Ugh I'm hyped for Friday and Saturday fights, mostly Saturday but I like Lewis and the Predator. I think Ngannou has looked terrifying in all of his fights.

Wrong on every front.

Conor beat Mendes.

Conor then went on to beat Aldo, and then immediately tried to make history as first ever two weight world champ. Lost the Diaz fight, but Diaz is no joke and is heavily underrated. Got his well deserved rematch and overcame massive amounts of adversity, and then proceeded to headline arguably the biggest mma event of all time in the second only UFC Superfight, where he came out victorious and made history.
So his rematch with Diaz was well deserved but he never gave Aldo his rematch.

Good thing i added the spoiler. Knew thia would happen

C'mon of course he will not matter what Conor nuthuggers say.

Back