Why is Sherk never mentioned among the best LW's of all time?

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
- Two wins over Karo when Karo was Top 5-10 in the world
- Prime and huge Manny Gamburyan
- Close fight with Matt Hughes
- Beat Nick Diaz
- Beat Kenny Florian when Kenny was a Top 5 LW
- Won UFC Lightweight championship
- Defended the belt against former Top 5 LW Hermes Franca
- 32-4 MMA Record
- Fought for the UFC Welterweight Title
- Beat up former UFC Middleweight Benji Radach,
- Only losses in MMA were to Frankie Edgar, BJ Penn, GSP, and Matt Hughes. Four of the greatest fighters weve ever seen, four former world champs, four future hall of famers.

Basically, if you weren't one of the greatest of all time...Sean Sherk was going to beat your ass. And FYI, Frankie ran that whole fight.

Last edited:
Yeah he had a very impressive career. I think it is because when discussing the LW division the threads usually turn into a debate about if BJ Bendo Edgar or Gomi is the GOAT of the division

Yeah he had a very impressive career. I think it is because when discussing the LW division the threads usually turn into a debate if BJ Bendo Edgar or Gomi are the GOAT of the division

Gomi shouldn't even be a front runner in GOAT LW's.

IMO

1. Penn
2. Benson
3. Edgar
4. RDA
5. Sean Sherk
6. Pettis
7. Alvarez
8. Diaz
9. Cerrone
10. Gomi

- Beat Nick Diaz
- 32-4 MMA Record
- Only losses in MMA were to Frankie Edgar, BJ Penn, GSP, and Matt Hughes. Four of the greatest fighters weve ever seen, four former world champs, four future hall of famers.

Basically, if you weren't one of the greatest of all time...Sean Sherk was going to beat your ass. And FYI, Frankie ran that whole fight.
Sherk popped a couple of times during his run, some of his wins could've gone either way and he was a lay and prayer to the max. There's winning the match then there's winning the fight, Sherk would be the former.

In his prime he beat wholesale ass in Pride, but then again the pool of competition over there were either roided western meatheads or roided up japanese part time fighters.

Check out this cool Sherm highlight I found.

Last edited:
- Beat Nick Diaz
- 32-4 MMA Record

His fight with Matt Hughes was not close. It was a 49-46 (one judge was nice too sherk giving him two rounds) It was basically a fight were sherk managed to survive and Matt gassed just a tad so people thought it was close.....

Frankie runs every fight.

Nick Diaz can't wrestle

Karo was literally a teenager off the street when they fought.... top 5 in the world? not a chance

the lw division was basically bj, him and Kenny for a while there and that was it. Amazing how it was not that strong

Sean was also boring. His title fight wins against Kenny and Hermes were just wrestling. Ultimate rinse and repeat for for 10 rounds.

IMO

1. Penn
2. Benson
3. Edgar
4. RDA
5. Sean Sherk
6. Pettis
7. Alvarez
8. Diaz
9. Cerrone
10. Gomi
My only gripe with that list is Alvarez should be right below RDA, then switching Sherk and Pettis. Sherk was good but no way is he that high.

1. karo was not top 5-10 lightweight, he had a 6-0 record against cans and was 18-19 years old during fight
2. Manny was 20 with a 5-0 record against cans again
3. Nick Diaz was only 22
4. Kenflo was a good win
5. Lightweight title honestly meant nothing during this time period (let's be honest), it was reinstated after 4 years when pulver was stripped
6. Hermes Franca really?
7. Pretty Decent Record
8. Loss to legit guys
9. Caught out taking roids and then refused to acknowledge ever taking it and then getting absolutely demolished by BJ Penn, biggest blow here

From this it's pretty clear he ain't mentioned as one of the great lightweights, i doubt he gives RDA, Khabib, Bendo (lw days), Alvarez, Mcgregor any trouble

He also lost to Evan Dunham hehe.

And most of his career was outside the UFC, so for most fans the biggest memory they have of him is Sherk getting TKOd by that Penn knee.

MY all time top 5 is;

1-2. Penn/Frankie, fluctuates Penn in his prime/motivated was a monster but when it comes to legit wins and performances Frankie.
3.RDA
4-5.Alvarez/Pettis, again same argument can be said about them Alvarez has beaten fucking monsters(though outside the UFC) and Pettis has had some amazing performances.
Honorable Mentions; Diaz/Cerrone. These two could easily be 4-5.

1. karo was not top 5-10 lightweight, he had a 6-0 record against cans and was 18-19 years old during fight
2. Manny was 20 with a 5-0 record against cans again
3. Nick Diaz was only 22
4. Kenflo was a good win
5. Lightweight title honestly meant nothing during this time period (let's be honest), it was reinstated after 4 years when pulver was stripped
6. Hermes Franca really?
7. Pretty Decent Record
8. Loss to legit guys
9. Caught out taking roids and then refused to acknowledge ever taking it and then getting absolutely demolished by BJ Penn, biggest blow here

From this it's pretty clear he ain't mentioned as one of the great lightweights, i doubt he gives RDA, Khabib, Bendo (lw days), Alvarez, Mcgregor any trouble

Stupid thing to say. So I guess Matt Hughes isn't one of the greats because everyone in the top 10 would whoop his ass back if he was in his prime now?

I appreciate how Sean acknowledged he could not really take BJ down and said " Fuck it I'll trade with him"

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid thing to say. So I guess Matt Hughes isn't one of the greats because everyone in the top 10 would whoop his ass back if he was in his prime now?
UFC is tougher now my man. I think Woodley would knock Matt out more then likely (although prime hughes has a shot vs anybody)

It's just a fact.

Hes the Glen Coffee Johnson of MMA

rvkr9z.gif

sherk would've been goat at FW.

Back