Weight classes by importance

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Here's a topic that might get a few of you little guys riled up. I see a thread about Mighty Mouse possibly breaking Anderson's record if he keeps this pace, and I start to ask myself why it's just not that big of a deal in the mma community, and why Mighty Mouse just doesn't generate any interest from most fans.

I know some people will say he's just got a bland personality, and doesn't promote himself, and so on, but that's bullshit. Anderson did virtually no self promotion and didn't even speak English, but he was a big deal pretty much from the get go. Plenty of others with bland personalities and not much to say, like Cro Cop, Shogun, Fedor, etc. all have a massive cult following and near God-like status in the hardcore mma circles, and all their fights were must see tv.

Sure all us knowledgeable fans will quickly say how Mighty Mouse is so technical, and we will even sometimes stand up for him when people say they couldn't care less about him, and we lecture them how they should appreciate his amazing skills and fight IQ... but deep down inside we dont really care about his upcoming fight all that much either.

Dominick Cruz might be a bit more marketable, but there you have another dominant long time champ, easily best ever at his weight class, unique style, talks the trash... yet still not that interesting to the fans. I'm not talking about casuals here, I'm talking about me and you, the hardcores. Yes I know there will be Dominick Cruz fans in here who will say I'm wrong, but you will be in the minority... and there will be those wiseguys that tell me I'm wrong just to virtue signal or make some attempt of being the voice of reason and political correctness, but the fact is that the lower weight classes are just not as important as the higher weight classes, there I said it.

At first I felt guilty for thinking this... I thought "but aren't we all created equal, and shouldn't every man have the same opportunity at greatness, regardless of size and weight...", but then I said fuck that, it's simple laws of nature that trump human emotions and wishful thinking every time. Being the strongest Tiger in the forrest definitely carries more importance than being the strongest bobcat in that same forest.

Hate away...

<{jackyeah}>

Brock Lesnar vs MM goes something like this...

wcw-nash-mysterio-dart-o.gif

Watch an event live. HW punches that hit the canvas can be heard hundreds of feet away, takedown and KOs shake the octagon.

Flyweights are almost silent.

Heavyweight will almost be the most important weight class in any combat sport because they can beat all the other weight classes. There have been exceptions from time to time but for the most part this is the rule.

Heavyweight will almost be the most important weight class in any combat sport because they can beat all the other weight classes. There have been exceptions from time to time but for the most part this is the rule.

Yeah like that fat Russian guy who was a natural Middle Weight that fought at Heavy Weight.

Yeah like that fat Russian guy who was a natural Middle Weight that fought at Heavy Weight.
Yeah like him. That fat Russian guy was the most important thing in MMA for a long time, even when that Brazilian guy was busy matrixing people a few weight divisions below him it didn't make you think you were looking at the baddest dude on the planet.

If Conor started talking shit about MM's next opponent people would fall in love with him just like Cruz went from boring point fighter to snake killer around here

Big = impressive. Cars, houses, mountains, everything.

People are always going to think to themselves "this little guy is great relatively, but he'd get destroyed by any halfway decent normal size fighter"

People always want to know how it would stack up in a world without weightclasses and these little guys have no chance

Depends on how you define "most important".

In my opinion, featherweight through middleweight are the deepest weight classes and honestly it makes sense. Most guys if they were in true fighting shape would be fighting in one of those four weight classes. Below FWs, those are pretty small dudes. But, those guys have virtually no athletic opportunities outside of combat sports, so you can get elite small athletes in those weight classes. Likewise, FW, LW, and WW aren't populated by guys who the major team sports are falling all over themselves to get. Middleweights are some pretty big dudes, but they're mostly guys who are on the upper end of "average". Your typical "big guy" would probably be a MW. By the time you get up to LHW, your elite athletes who are that size are probably in the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, etc. Virtually ALL of your elite athletes who would be fighting at HW are in the aforementioned leagues.

So, by process of elimation, I'll go with FW, LW, WW, and MW as the most important classes. Based on the current champs and top contenders at each class, I'd rank the top four like this:

1. LW - Conor is the biggest draw in MMA right now and he's the champ. Very good top contenders in Tony and Khabib with former champs Alvarez and RDA right behind them. Plenty of depth in the top 10.
2. MW - I think Bisping is a weak champ, but he's an established name. Very good top contenders in Romero, Jacare, Luke, Weidman, and Moose. Talent drops off pretty sharply after these top 6.
3. WW - Highly anticipated rematch of the champ and top contender coming up. Former champ Lawler still lurking. Maia is smothering everyone. Cowboy looks reborn at 170. Solid contender depth at least 7-8 deep.
4. FW - Aldo back with the belt, though a gifted belt. Solid contenders through the top 5 with the likes of Holloway, Pettis, Lama, and Swanson. The problem? Unless Pettis can get back to form, I don't see anyone beating Aldo anytime soon and he's just not a big draw even though he's a great fighter.

Back