Why has Sambo never caught on in the west like BJJ has?

Because BJJ is easier

031415-UFC-Khabib-Nurmagomedov-LN-PI.vadapt.664.high.99.jpg

russia patented exclusive rights to keep sambo in their country....

BJJ started a revolution with the early UFCs. We had never seen anything like it and it announced itself in a BIG way because even non-fight fans were talking about it.

Sambo is basically unknown even to casuals. And even then it's basically judo with leg locks, so it's not something we've never seen before, so it's not as mindblowing.

Early UFC was like a giant infomercial for BJJ. Sambo never really got that level of attention and certainly not at the time.

BJJ started a revolution with the early UFCs. We had never seen anything like it and it announced itself in a BIG way because even non-fight fans were talking about it.

Sambo is basically unknown even to casuals. And even then, it's basically judo with leg locks, so it's not something we've never seen before, so it's not as mindblowing.

And BJJ is like Judo without throws and more double legs.

I really wish I could train with some Sambo masters. Not too many around here

Because many Japanese left Japan when the Portuguese occupied parts of it and went to Brazil ironically, because they could speak Portuguese. Brazilian fighters turned Judo into Jiu-jitsu. Brazilian people are successful in the UFC.

Russia has Fedor. Who barely did anything in the west.

Because BJJ is basically a glorified self defense class for women and nerds and is marketed as such.

Sambo is marketed as a sport for real tough men.

That's why BJJ is popular in the West and Sambo is popular in the East.

And BJJ is like Judo without throws and more double legs.

Which looks entirely different. Just like wrestling is basically London Prize Ring bareknuckle boxing without the punches, yet mysteriously looks very different. BJJ is something no one had seen before. Everyone has seen Judo before and that's why Sambo hasn't created the same sense of astonishment.

Because BJJ is basically a glorified self defense class for women and nerds and is marketed as such.

Sambo is marketed as a sport for real tough men.

That's why BJJ is popular in the West and Sambo is popular in the East.

bjj got his advertising with the gracie family, thats it.
gracies won with the bjj flag against many strikers so everybody wanted to learn this bjj and it got popular.

bjj on the ground
kick boxing on the feed
mix it up = mma.

popular version

When I lived in mother Russia I learned sambo and it's very hard!

Probably because Sambo is very similar to MMA so it is much more brutal than BJJ which can basically be trained by anyone wether they want to be a fighter or just want a good work out and to learn some good self defence skills. If you train Sambo you are going to get hurt were as training BJJ that is far less likely.

Some of the posters mentioned it already (via trolling).

Sambo was a self defense program started by the Soviet Union, so the Iron Curtain prevented it from being introduced to the bourgeois West. Once Communism fell, BJJ already had a foothold in combat arts.

Back