Congressman: UFC "Threatened to Walk" If Randy Couture Speaks (Link, Cliffs)

James Baller

Black Belt
Banned
Reaction score
randy-couture-video.jpg

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/12/...-threatened-to-walk-randy-couture-ali-act-mma

Interesting read by Amy Dash. It's worth a look for those interested in the law and order of MMA.

It's a long article though, so here's cliffs.

- Congress is scheduled to hold a hearing in regards to expanding the Muhammad Ali Act to encompass all combat sports Thursday, on CSPAN (set the DVR folks! 'dis is gonna be good!).

- Though the witness list is supposed to be kept confidential until 48 hours out from the hearing (Tuesday morning), word got back to the UFC that Randy Couture was asked to speak on behalf of fighters.

- Representative Markwayne Mullin: “They (the UFC) had threatened to walk because they didn’t want us to have Randy Couture on the panel. We want them to participate but they can’t be dictating who we can and cannot have on the panel. This isn’t an ‘I gotchu hearing,’ this is giving perspectives across the board.”

- According to Mullin, the UFC did eventually back down. “They were the only ones trying to dictate who we could and couldn’t have on the panel and that’s not their place to do that.”

- A UFC spokesperson denies Mullin's allegation.

- Several sources confirm the UFC will be sending Jeff Novitsky to represent them and testify on the panel.

- So far, Randy Couture is the only fighter set to speak. Couture only recently was formally penciled in to speak, and is representing fighters who desire the Ali Act to encompass MMA.

- Couture on the UFC trying to influence the witness list: “Are you surprised by that? The landscape for the entire sport would change if we are successful. They’ve been trying to derail this hearing and not have it happen at all. So I’m not surprised that they are gonna pull out all the stops.”

- "If passed, the Ali Act would outlaw coercive contracts lasting more than a year, returning promotional rights back to fighters after a year, providing avenues for fighters to sue promoters and create an independent rank and title system, among other provisions." - Amy Dash, MMA journalist (quoted from her article)

- The end of the article outlines the process of passing the bill. Mullin comments about the UFC spending hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting the bill, and questions why they would spend so much money fighting a bill he believes will benefit the fighters.

- Mullin: "They’ve approached just about everybody on the committee at one time or another trying to get to them. I know they reached out to everybody that’s a co-sponsor of the bill and some of them have taken a meeting with them, some of them haven’t."

- Rep. Mullin goes on to say he has bipartisan support for the bill, despite the UFC's lobbying efforts. Fascinating stuff.

- Mullin also says this isn't about painting the UFC "as the big, bad wolf", and says the UFC deserves credit where credit is due, bringing MMA to where it is today. But he supports this bill, and believes it is beneficial for the fighters.

- It will take persistence on the part of supporters to see this bill through. If the bill is passed by the House and Senate, which would take months, President-elect Donald Trump will be in office and he would be the one to sign the bill into law.

Last edited:
If it's up to Trump he won't sign it.
As a fan I don't want it to pass since it can lead to long contract negotiations.
I'm not surprised UFC's trying to axe it. Couture doesn't care if they do.

- The end of the article outlines the proccess of passing the bill. Mullen comments about the UFC spending "thousands" of dollars fighting the bill, and questions why they would spend so much money fighting a bill he believes will benefit the fighters.

Not dozens of dollars, not hundreds of dollars, but THOUSANDS! The UFC will go bankrupt soon if they keep throwing that many dollars at it.

Exciting times. Hope this passes and ufc quits monopolizing the sport. They dont make the fights the fans want half the time anyway

Be prepared for the downfall of MMA.

MMA is gonna end up fractured like boxing and we won't get the best fighters fighting one another. Watch.

How exactly would this change things? I'm ignorant to all this. Would it be good for hardcore fans who want to see this be more sport than entertainment? Having guys who actually deserve title shots get them instead of who is the best draw.

MMA is gonna end up fractured like boxing and we won't get the best fighters fighting one another. Watch.
Yeah, sure would be a shame if the UFC's ranking system became arbitrary and they gave title shots to whoever they wanted.

I hope you're adept at detecting sarcasm because I'm doing it as hard as I can right now.

Jesus Christ, are you fucking serious?

So Jeff Novitsky is doing the UFCs dirty work for them.. Soo thats why the drafted him in. No one of the real UFC brasses are getting stuck in, too afraid to show.

I doubt it was Jeff Novitsky who objected to let Randy be there..

We already have garbage like Romero and Jacare getting fucked over so an old undeservering Hendo could get a titleshot, Rousey getting a titleshot after not fighting for a year, etc.
So let's stop pretending that the best are fighting the best all the time with the current situation.

Randy now sporting the inverted head look? Is having a beard with a bald head some small consolation prize? Played out.

Oh, and this Ali act would be amazing for the fighters, but Trump is going to show how important his friendship is with Dana.

We already have garbage like Romero and Jacare getting fucked over so an old undeservering Hendo could get a titleshot, Rousey getting a titleshot after not fighting for a year, etc.
So let's stop pretending that the best are fighting the best all the time with the current situation.

We get OUTSTANDING matchups on a regular basis. You'd know this if you paid attention to anyone but the top names.

How exactly would this change things? I'm ignorant to all this. Would it be good for hardcore fans who want to see this be more sport than entertainment? Having guys who actually deserve title shots get them instead of who is the best draw.
The ideal is to have an independent, legit panel of pundits similar to sherdog to do the rankings and determine match-up's. No more fun fights based on match-ups alone like Gus/DC or Condit/Lawler.

1 year contracts. Meaning the champ being tied to the promotion until he loses would be up to him, and a UFC champ in free agency would make bank. He could go to Rizin or Bellator while still being seen as #1. This naturally skews things since he wouldn't be fighting the best in those organizations.

No more USADA, since fighters likely wouldn't vote for it.

The Ali Act was applied to the boxing landscape. You have free agents choosing the biggest purse. When you have 8/10 of the best fighters in one promotion it's different. You'd need co-promotion more regularly to make big fights happen, which the UFC won't do until they're forced and this greatly benefits smaller shows, while UFC has sanctioned the whole sport of MMA in most States and Countries. So those smaller shows reap the benefits without having done the groundwork.

Last edited:
Yeah, sure would be a shame if the UFC's ranking system became arbitrary and they gave title shots to whoever they wanted.

I hope you're adept at detecting sarcasm because I'm doing it as hard as I can right now.

Frankly, with that avatar, I'm surprised anyone has ever taken your comment seriously.

However, the image of someone, "doing sarcasm as hard as they can right now" is awesome.
My intentions are to steal that line.

Are you fucking serious?! What the fuck does rankings have to do with anything?

Talking about holding all the talent in 1 company. It won't be possible and half will walk to other companies. Get your head outta your ass.

Great news mma will finally be a real sport, it's took over 20 years

You don't seem to get it.

So Jeff Novitsky is doing the UFCs dirty work for them.. Soo thats why the drafted him in. No one of the real UFC brasses are getting stuck in, too afraid to show.

I doubt it was Jeff Novitsky who objected to let Randy be there..
I'm no fan of Jeff Novitsky, but I too doubt he had anything to say regarding Randy Couture.

If I had to bet one person... I'd bet it was Lawrence Epstein, one of the attorneys representing the UFC. I think he was the main guy who has been trying to meet with the co-sponsors of the bill, and the committee, with mixed success.

I find law really confusing though. Hell, I'm honestly not sure I support the bill. Some of it sounds good, some of it sounds quite restrictive to me. I wish there was a "Law for Dummies" book so I could understand it all a little better. :oops:

(Edited for accuracy)

Last edited:
Back