What do you think Derrick "Black Beast" Lewis' ceiling is?

Thesnake101

Think about it, it worth it.
@Gold
Reaction score
We all know and love the man that is Derrick Lewis, but after his performance against Roy, do you think he has what it takes to trouble anyone in the top 10?

He obviously has the power, but the skill doesn't seem to bet all there, not to mention that his chin has been exposed as suspect by the next Fedor killer Matt Mitrione and Shawn Jordan.

I think he's going to take over Roy's place as a gatekeepr and will be used to gauge the skill of rising prospects, starting with Abdurakhimov - who's not much of a prospect, but is a game fighter - Anyways, he's a guy that always tries to put on a show, so I'll be a fan no matter what, even if he ends up going on a huge skid.

Last edited:
I think you're spot on...His peak is probably somewhere around or below Roy's. Top 5 wrecks him with ease.

Doubt he ever cracks the top 5, but his power is ridiculous, that KO over Gonzaga was nasty.

He's not very good with takedown defense. Has raw power but has holes in his game. Still remember Shawn Jordan beating him up.

Can crushing gatekeeper

With a favorable matchup or two and a little luck who knows

Gatekeeper, but he has made significant improvements to his game. Improved his cardio and his ground defense. Gonzaga had his back and he not only managed to get up but win shortly after, which was impressive.

A lot of people here pretty much nailed it already. He'll kinda take Roy's gatekeeper spot except he won't have the best chin in MMA history like Roy does

Roy took him down with ease when they fought. Top 5 rekts him
Agree with this. I was surprised at how often Roy got him down, he'd be easy pickings for a guy that knows how to mix up takedowns with his striking. Jordan beat him that way iirc, took him down when Derrick tried to open up and then finished him on the feet.

I thought that there was an argument that he won that Nelson fight. Its true that Roy pretty much laid out a way to beat him, but in the HW division there aren't many top 10 guys who wrestle as much as in other divisions.

Hes a super dangerous guy on the feet and depending who he gets, I could definitely see him in the top ten for some time.

Gatekeeper, but he has made significant improvements to his game. Improved his cardio and his ground defense. Gonzaga had his back and he not only managed to get up but win shortly after, which was impressive.

A lot of people here pretty much nailed it already. He'll kinda take Roy's gatekeeper spot except he won't have the best chin in MMA history like Roy does
They need to make Black Beast/Mir when Frank's suspension is up. Winnable fight for either of them, and will be pure, unadulterated violence, like Mir/Arlovski.

They need to make Black Beast/Mir when Frank's suspension is up. Winnable fight for either of them, and will be pure, unadulterated violence, like Mir/Arlovski.

If that fight ends up with another "controller disconnected" situation like Mir/Arlovski I officially quit everything

He's been beat by Jordan twice and will only beat the past there prime big names or the cans of the division.

If that fight ends up with another "controller disconnected" situation like Mir/Arlovski I officially quit everything
Look at the bright side, if that happens, we'll see two guts that are about to explode instead of one.

Let's see him fight Mr. Rousey...

Did TS forget that Matt Mittrione showed us the cap of his skill level?

He's the new Nelson without any BJJ or the chin. He'll always have that chance for a KO, but that doesn't get you past being a gatekeeper.

We all know and love the man that is Derrick Lewis, but after his performance against Roy, do you think he has what it takes to trouble anyone in the top 10?

He obviously has the power, but the skill doesn't seem to bet all there, not to mention that his chin has been exposed as suspect by the next Fedor killer Matt Mitrione and Shawn Jordan.

I think he's going to take over Roy's place as a gatekeepr and will be used to gauge the skill of rising prospects, starting with Abdurakhimov - who's not much of a prospect, but is a game fighter - Anyways, he's a guy that always tries to put on a show, so I'll be a fan no matter what, even if he ends up going on a huge skid.
Didnt he get KOd by Matt Mitrione? lol

Back