Underated fight: Werdum vs Overeem 2

Natesblackshirt

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This fight was way ahead of its time. Werdum used his jui jitsu to beautifully neutralize Alistair Overeem's striking. The just bleed crowd at the time couldn't appreciate it but it was a masterful MMA performance. 2 of the 3 judges gave the fight to Overeem but anyone who watched the fight knows Overeem got outstruck. Overeem had also just recently won the K1 Grand Prix and was juiced to the gills with his confidence at an all time high. With more high level grapplers like Ryan Hall getting into MMA could this be the style of the future?

IMG_2072.JPG

Werdum was actually getting the better of him in the stand up, but was cautious. If he didn't flop that much he would've won. I still can't believe this is the same Werdum that bull rushed Stipe like a retard.

hey atleast Werdum got in there vs. Juicy Reem cough*fedor*cough

If Werd00m had trained with Wonderboy and threw taekwando kicks here and there he would have won.

He had just beat Fedor before this fight...

He had won enough for several lifetimes.

I just went to watch this on Fight Pass and there's no clock on the Fight Pass version. {<huh}

Anyways, at one point early in the fight Werdum dislocates his knee. I'm not sure if he's ever mentioned it publicly. That had a lot to do with what happened in that fight. I was going to point out the exact time in the round but there's no clock.

The first fight was Ubereem vs Werdum now it's another first Overeem vs Werdum. There can never be Ubereem vs Werdum 2. Ubereem is dead and buried. May he rest in peace he was the greatest heavyweight of all time. Would have merced Fedor in Fedors prime..

I had Werdume wining this fight actually.

Werdum's knee clearly gets fucked up in an awkward Reem takedown about 30 seconds into R2. He never seems to mention it as an excuse but it's clear when you watch the fight. After that he was obviously hampered on the feet and has no choice but to go full flop.

It was a bummer, because Werdum had won R1 by outstriking ol' Horsemeat McGhee and arguably should still have won the decision anyway.

Last edited:
This fight was way ahead of its time. Werdum used his jui jitsu to beautifully neutralize Alistair Overeem's striking. The just bleed crowd at the time couldn't appreciate it but it was a masterful MMA performance. 2 of the 3 judges gave the fight to Overeem but anyone who watched the fight knows Overeem got outstruck. Overeem had also just recently won the K1 Grand Prix and was juiced to the gills with his confidence at an all time high. With more high level grapplers like Ryan Hall getting into MMA could this be the style of the future?

View attachment 175453

I thought Werdum won the fight, but it wasnt an entertaining or brilliant fight by any means. It just showed that BJJ doesnt work without good takedowns

Werdum was actually getting the better of him in the stand up, but was cautious. If he didn't flop that much he would've won. I still can't believe this is the same Werdum that bull rushed Stipe like a retard.

I always thought the same
Jis knees was on point, but he was evading Reem the entire fight

I just went to watch this on Fight Pass and there's no clock on the Fight Pass version. {<huh}

Anyways, at one point early in the fight Werdum dislocates his knee. I'm not sure if he's ever mentioned it publicly. That had a lot to do with what happened in that fight. I was going to point out the exact time in the round but there's no clock.
Really? Do you have confirmation on this?

Overeem manhandled Werdum stuffed his takedowns, slammed him to the ground and hit him with power shots. Werdum was only able to survive by flopping to the ground. He only landed more strikes because every time Overeem tried to hit him back he would fall to the ground. Overeem didn't want to fight on the ground but Werdum didn't want a proper standup exchange. The fight was a farce and Werdum fought like a coward.

Just because it happened once before doesnt mean it was ahead of its time.

hey atleast Werdum got in there vs. Juicy Reem cough*fedor*cough

Werdum had already beaten Fedor by then

Also this was in a tournament where Fedor and Reem both signed up to. Had Fedor beaten Bigfoot, Reem vs Fedor was the next fight.

Then Reem pulls out of the fight against Bigfoot, and was replaced by Cormier (that would have been vs Fedor) - Reem 'didn't accept the timing of the bout'... *cough* cycling *cough* so Strikeforce removed him.

Ironically, when Reem did eventually fight Bigfoot, this happened:

overeem-knockout.gif

Werdum fought terrified, I was so hyped for that fight and it was the biggest pile of shit I'd ever seen at the time

Also Werdum literally flopped to his back every time Overeem even looked like he was going to throw a punch but trolls say he was beating Reem in the standup lel

Werdum had already beaten Fedor by then

Also this was in a tournament where Fedor and Reem both signed up to. Had Fedor beaten Bigfoot, Reem vs Fedor was the next fight.

Then Reem pulls out of the fight against Bigfoot, and was replaced by Cormier (that would have been vs Fedor) - Reem 'didn't accept the timing of the bout'... *cough* cycling *cough* so Strikeforce removed him.

Ironically, when Reem did eventually fight Bigfoot, this happened:

overeem-knockout.gif
Nice work

I'll grant you 5 nodding BJ's
<mma4><mma4><mma4><mma4><mma4>

Back