"Beach Muscles"?

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
The fans of the lighter weight divisions often complain about fighters in heavier divisions having "beach muscles." Their belief is that big muscles don't help one's athletic performance and their only use is for looking good at the beach.

Anyone who has ever trained with weights for a decent amount of time has noticed that when you train by forcing muscles to get stronger, the muscles get bigger! Remember when you or your friend broke his arm and his arm was in a cast for 4 to 6 weeks? When the cast got taken off, after all that time being inactive, the muscles in that arm had gotten smaller and the arm was weaker than before it was broken.

The bottom line is your muscles don't get stronger when you train for strength without also growing in size. You can't get significantly stronger without your muscles also getting bigger.

93427ccea20a07ced66271b7f5a20adf.jpg

Big muscles are pointless in a fight if they cause you to gas out in the first round though.

Wow, what a revelation. Thanks TS for pointing out the perfectly obvious.

As a guy how trains, and works out a lot I can only say that you can't fight your genes. I'm more fit than most of my friends but a lot of my black friends are fucking huge. I don't do the supplements save for a protein shake and a multivitamin but I'm not huge. Certainly not as big as some of my buddies who don't train as much or as hard. Genetics will get ya bro. If you're a manlet, you just have to work with that manlet body the good lord have ya. No shame in that.

#GUERNICAbless

Beach muscles are a thing. That's why there's body builders, and there's powerlifting. Guys in between, like Bradley Martin, are definitely on steroids.

Al Iaquinta goes to the beach to show off his beach muscles.

No one says that. If anything MMA has disproved the whole idea of "beach muscles".

Have we ever seen a fighter who looked strong but ended up getting out muscled all the time? (Given equal weight).

Sure you can be deceptively strong but no ones really deceptively weak.

Yeah bro, definitely agree bro

635928012936853405-19930152_Musclebob_buffpants.png

I've never seen anybody on this forum talk about what you are claiming. I've seen people say "Well maybe it's not good to be heavily muscled because it could diminish your cardio." But that's about it.

The fans of the lighter weight divisions often complain about fighters in heavier divisions having "beach muscles." Their belief is that big muscles don't help one's athletic performance and their only use is for looking good at the beach.

Anyone who has ever trained with weights for a decent amount of time has noticed that when you train by forcing muscles to get stronger, the muscles get bigger! Remember when you or your friend broke his arm and his arm was in a cast for 4 to 6 weeks? When the cast got taken off, after all that time being inactive, the muscles in that arm had gotten smaller and the arm was weaker than before it was broken.

The bottom line is your muscles don't get stronger when you train for strength without also growing in size. You can't get significantly stronger without your muscles also getting bigger.

I think that the point is that there is believed to be a diminishing return on value for big muscles when you have fighting by weight divisions. Consider boxing. Do GGG, Mayweather, Pacquiao, etc. have huge muscles?

If large muscles move you up to heavier weight divisions, you'll start facing opponents with more height and reach, for example.

94234971-750x340-1470522740.jpg

Last edited:

I don't know man heavier weight fighters are just naturally built heavier, all high level athletes are ripped, just depends on their body shape as to how "big" they are.

Despite whether you agree with my statement or not... I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

It's not so much about big showy muscles anymore, but functional fighting muscles which is achieved through cross training workouts where you can actually train muscles from functional angles where standard machine & free weight exercise don't always hit, I find crossfit & the good old standard work best for me but I don't train to fight competitively just for me and my ego.

As a guy how trains, and works out a lot I can only say that you can't fight your genes. I'm more fit than most of my friends but a lot of my black friends are fucking huge. I don't do the supplements save for a protein shake and a multivitamin but I'm not huge. Certainly not as big as some of my buddies who don't train as much or as hard. Genetics will get ya bro. If you're a manlet, you just have to work with that manlet body the good lord have ya. No shame in that.

#GUERNICAbless
It's a shame to be a manlet. Why are you trying to deceive folks by watering down the truth.

Back