Can someone please summarize the Hall / Maynard fight for me

gotBooched

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Missed it, and it's all the talk around here. Sounds like he fought Maynard the same way Werdum fought Overeem?

I've seen bits and pieces - like Maynard complaining to him on twitter after the fight. I just need to put all the pieces together.

What gives?

Ryan Hall was flopping all over the place like a pissed up old grandad at his granddaughters 18th party, also throwing many head kicks

Gray was angry at Halls strategy, so angry he resigned himself to doing practically nothing but looking angry

Hall won, the fans lost

Plenty of sites, including this one, have Play-by-play write ups. You can also find the fight online pretty easily.

That said, Hall used a lot of kicks to keep distance, then if Maynard came forward he either dropped down to try and grab a leg (only rarely successfully, got a hold of his leg a few times, very rarely was able to do anything with it for more than a few seconds) or ran away (this was a less used strategy than the flopping). He was attacking when he dropped down, but a lot of times, it was just to avoid a stand up exchange. On the occasions he got it to the ground, he was clearly better than Maynard grappling, but never really came close to anything.

Maynard, for his part, was confused and frustrated. He basically decided that he would just continue stalking and didn't engage on the ground much at all. He landed very few strikes standing. Hall clearly won, but if stomps and kicks/knees to a grounded opponent's head were allowed, it might have been very different.

Plenty of sites, including this one, have Play-by-play write ups. You can also find the fight online pretty easily.

That said, Hall used a lot of kicks to keep distance, then if Maynard came forward he either dropped down to try and grab a leg (only rarely successfully, got a hold of his leg a few times, very rarely was able to do anything with it for more than a few seconds) or ran away (this was a less used strategy than the flopping). He was attacking when he dropped down, but a lot of times, it was just to avoid a stand up exchange. On the occasions he got it to the ground, he was clearly better than Maynard grappling, but never really came close to anything.

Maynard, for his part, was confused and frustrated. He basically decided that he would just continue stalking and didn't engage on the ground much at all. He landed very few strikes standing. Hall clearly won, but if stomps and kicks/knees to a grounded opponent's head were allowed, it might have been very different.

Thanks. I wanted to hear it from a fan. And also I'm working and can't check out the video.

appreciate the info.

Ryan head kicked him like 15 times and flopped to his back everytime gray threw a strike or got in grappling range. Gray Maynard literally did nothing.

It was basically Hall throwing a bunch of silly karate kicks, then flopping to the ground anytime Maynard came at him with punches. It was pathetic. Then he accused Gray of "running" after the fight. You were the one flopping around like a fish, 'tard. You think the fans were really booing Maynard?

Yeah, so now I pretty much hate this guy. They should bring back soccer kicks and stomps just for his fights. He never even came close to grabbing Maynard's leg on any of his grappling "attempts".

Thanks. I wanted to hear it from a fan. And also I'm working and can't check out the video.

appreciate the info.

Lol, I swear I thought it was a new join date when I read the OP (not because of content, but because I was going too fast). I recognize you, wouldn't have put in that first section if I had realized.

No problem. I hope it's a fair assessment. Let me know if/when you get a chance to see the fight. While it won't go down as one of my favorite fights, it was interesting and personally I think it's the type of fight that makes you want to discuss fighting theory and rules.

ryan-hall-trading-heel-hooks-for-hook-kicks.jpg

69bb850fcf81afa2b746e1759de792b3.gif

giphy.gif

Repeat.gif

It was basically Hall throwing a bunch of silly karate kicks, then flopping to the ground anytime Maynard came at him with punches. It was pathetic. Then he accused Gray of "running" after the fight. You were the one flopping around like a fish, 'tard. You think the fans were really booing Maynard?

Yeah, so now I pretty much hate this guy. They should bring back soccer kicks and stomps just for his fights. He never even came close to grabbing Maynard's leg on any of his grappling "attempts".

Low Intelligence poster

Summary: Maynard landed 12 strikes in 15 minutes, even though Hall was mostly sitting on the mat right in front of him - and Maynard is supposed to be some sort of top game wrestler.

Missed it, and it's all the talk around here. Sounds like he fought Maynard the same way Werdum fought Overeem?

I've seen bits and pieces - like Maynard complaining to him on twitter after the fight. I just need to put all the pieces together.

What gives?
Hall future GOAT.

/thread

Ryan Hall stays on the outside and kicks Maynard in the face. Maynard is a plodder so all he can do is run forward and wing punches at Hall. As soon as he does that, Hall drops to his back. Maynard, terrified of Hall's BJJ, walks away and makes him get up.

Repeat.

There was also the occasional imanari roll.

Last edited:

that's a very good sum of what happened IMO.
Maynard was mad because Hall blatantly used the flop to avoid any and all exchanges.
But Maynard should have (at least once) tried to jump on Hall on the ground and attempt some GnP. I feel that, is he did it at the tail end of a round, he could have won a round. And if successful in keeping top control, it might have changed Hall's free pass he got just by flopping onto the ground.

It wasn't like Werdum as Werdum was pleading AO to follow him. Hall just wanted Maynard to take a step back while Hall got back on his feet in a safe distance, to begin with kicks and running away once more.

It was frustrating to watch (as the flops never got close to anything), but also a different style.
But I feel that, as soon as Hall loses a fight, much like Machida now loses points for being "elusive", Hall will probably get a point deducted for flopping to the ground without real intention to engage.

Hall tried his usual roll to grab Maynard's leg when that clearly wasn't working he started spamming kicks at range. Anytime Gray got within his striking range Hall would either dive for the leg or flop to his back. Gray didn't want to jump into Hall's guard though so he pretty much spent the whole fight eating kicks. Basically if you're going to be fighting Hall you're going to have to jump in his guard if you want to win because anytime you get close to him he will flop down.

I really wish Hall would actually try for a takedown though. Seems all he does is dive for the leg or flop and invite his opponent to jump in his guard. As he climbs the ranks he will eventually face guys who won't be afraid to jump into his guard and can defend his subs so he has to try other things besides just diving and flopping

Maynard was terrified of going to the ground, Hall was scared to bang. Hall kept his distance with weird kicks and landed a few to the face and dropped to the ground every time Maynard got close. Maynard did nothing but cry. Conclusion: Maynard was the biggest puxxy, so he lost.

Back