RUMOR: Cyborg vs Holm Could Happen for Inaugural UFC WFW Title

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drake

Holm-vs-cyborg.png

A women’s featherweight title fight featuring Invicta FC Featherweight Champion Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino and former UFC Women’s Bantamweight Champion Holly Holm is being discussed.

The UFC does not currently hold fights for women at 145 pounds. With Cyborg on the UFC roster, the promotion has made her fight at a 140-pound catchweight.

Cyborg is done going down to 140. She now wants to show her dominance as a featherweight in the world’s number one MMA promotion.

Cyborg has TKO victories over Leslie Smith and Lina Lansberg in the UFC. Justino now wants to fight a better-known fighter in her next outing.

Holm fits the description of someone Justino would want to fight. However, Holm has lost her last two fights. In July, Holm lost a decision to Valentina Shevchenko. In March, Holm lost her title to Miesha Tate. In order to fight for a UFC championship, Holm would need to win at least one fight before fighting Justino.

Justino is on a 17-fight win streak and is widely considered as the greatest female MMA fighter of all time. She is the only woman to hold the Invicta title and she was the only woman to ever hold the Strikeforce Women’s Featherweight Championship.

Holm was undefeated prior to her two recent losses. Her most notable wins are a decision victory over Raquel Pennington and a knockout win over Ronda Rousey to win the UFC title.

Sauce

Generally, entimports is a pretty "clickbaity" & somewhat unreliable source but they sponsor/work with Cyborg so things related to her should definitely hold some more weight...

Your thoughts?

Please no. No more of Cyborg's bullshit.

There isn't enough good fighters at 145 to make it worthwhile. Cyborg fights nobodies in Invicta's FW div, she'll just have to fight the same ones in a UFC one.

No need to pander to a cheat like Cyborg. Just let her ride out the rest of her unimpressive career in Invicta.

I have mixed emotions
the WFW division is going to a failure. Any serviceable talent will have already been smashed by Cyborg, and I'm a fan of trimming the roster not expanding it. I'd prefer this to be a super fight

But Holm vs Cyborg would be a great fight. They're betting hard on Holm here I think, she has legit star quality she still gets talked about in mainstream sports media, no other WMMA fighter does except for Ronda.

A large part of me wishes the UFC would go all in on acquiring Invicta and just have it as a separate league

Would be super retarded to talk so much shit on Cyborg and then pretty much hand her a UFC title.

A large part of me wishes the UFC would go all in on acquiring Invicta and just have it as a separate league
That's pretty much how it is already though.

It's just not called UFC, lol.

I think the UFC could try to do with Cyborg the same as they did to Rousey. Sell her as that once in a lifetike fighter, who kicks ass and what not.

The only problem is that Cyborg is not the type of girl fighter that would look good naked or in bikinis on the cover of sports magazines, so I don't know if they will really invest in her.

That's pretty much how it is already though.

It's just not called UFC, lol.
Yeah, but having them on the main cards is serving to be a risky proposition. Lots of hardcores constantly bitch about it, and there's little hype behind the cards - I think casuals are just indifferent, many of the fights in the UFC are boring (though Invicta is usually great top to bottom). Ronda is rumored to be out after this next fight, Tate is gone, Holm (who was trending towards stardom) won't ever be dominant. JJ's popularity is overstated, KK who has the potential to be a star won't touch gold as long as JJ exists.

I imagine that just having them all in Invicta might be better from a business perspective, you could still make money off of the ticket sales and gate, loosen the restrictions on sponsors for that league to make some money there as well and you could have the fights on Fox and FS1

Yeah, but having them on the main cards is serving to be a risky proposition. Lots of hardcores constantly bitch about it, and there's little hype behind the cards - I think casuals are just indifferent, many of the fights in the UFC are boring (though Invicta is usually great top to bottom). Ronda is rumored to be out after this next fight, Tate is gone, Holm (who was trending towards stardom) won't ever be dominant. JJ's popularity is overstated, KK who has the potential to be a star won't touch gold as long as JJ exists.

I imagine that just having them all in Invicta might be better from a business perspective, you could still make money off of the ticket sales and gate, loosen the restrictions on sponsors for that league to make some money there as well and you could have the fights on Fox and FS1

any Invicta fight I've ever seen > Mir/Arlovski (@KONE ;)) and really much of what the UFC HW division has put out lately. That said I would like to see something done with Invicta like you mention. I enjoy the cards as is so being absorbed by the UFC would be a step down.

The article says Holm would need a win before challenging Justino. That says to me that this source doesn't pay attention to the UFC way of match making and doing business. Do not trust. But would watch Holm/Cyborg.

Ah Yeah.

That's actually interesting.

we don't need another WMMA divison full of soccer moms but i would watch cyborgs vs holm

Plz don't do it Holly :(

Last edited:
no, not another weak division

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back