How did you score Benavidez vs Cejudo?

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately I was a little distracted by alcohol and having a good time that this fight was kind of just on in the background last night and I didn't watch it clearly enough to give an accurate score.

Upon watching it (sober), my opinion was that Benavidez won this fight by winning Round 2 and Round 3.

My final scorecard read 29-27 - Joseph Benavidez

These absolutely ridiculous scorecards like 30-26 for Joey and 29-27 for Cejudo just shock me. That means that one judge gave Joey all 3 rounds, which I think is ridiculously harsh on Henry. On the other hand, how is one judge scoring all 3 rounds for Henry!?!?!?!?

Breakdown by round:

Round 1:

I scored this for Cejudo because I thought he landed the power strikes in this round, and did have that moment where Joey was backed up on the cage covering up as Henry had rung his bell.

Round 2:

I thought this was pretty clearly a Benavidez round. A lot of what the commentators were saying were shots landed were really just hitting hands, like the body kicks and the winging hooks that would barely glance the top of Joey's head. Benavidez really started to get his timing and I thought he landed the cleaner and more precise shots, which were mostly well timed counters.

Round 3:

Close, but again Benavidez is landing on the button with counters. Henry got a takedown which lasted for approximately 5 seconds, to me that doesn't count for much. Henry was tight and swinging the power shots, Joey was throwing the "softer" but more well placed shots. Benavidez hit Henry a lot more in this round, and to me clearly won the close third round.

Any argument for Cejudo winning?

I think what might have hurt Benavidez was his balance, he was scrambling around a lot which doesn't look pretty, makes you look like you're not in control. He wasn't throwing Cejudo's takedown attempts off with authority, he was dropping to a knee and kind of wriggling out of them - doesn't look smooth.

Also, as much as this sounds condescending, people tend to score strikes that make a sound as landed strike. If Henry is throwing kicks to the body every 2 seconds, but they hit hands, they will make a loud sound, and they look effective - but the fact is they did not land.

I can see how people can be swayed by this, but you'd hope professional judges would not score him 3 whole rounds!?

I personally don't see the controversy - just some terrible judging, again.

Capture.0.0.png

Draw.

Two rounds to one Cejudo, but due to point deduction...draw.

i had Cejudo but the point taken away means a draw, Henry seemed to be pushing the pace more and although wiffing alot of his big shots ultimatley i think he did the most damage and pushed the pace more which for me tends to sway my decision but i could deffiantly see the argument either way

Agree 29-27. Cejudo took first round without the point deduction.

It's not nice to kick people in their Dicks

29-28 for Benavidez, but without the point deduction it would have been a draw for me

Henry definitely did more damage. According to fight metric Benividez outstruck Cejudo by one punch. While Cejudo had one take down to Josephs zero take down. Close fight but I had it a draw if you took the point away from Henry. BTW, the point deduction was absolutely ridiculous.

Apparently JoeB landed twice than Cejudo according to Stann. So Trowbridge may be made of same material like Stann. SMFH

I guess Joseph won..

I was kind of in amazement how tiny they both were.. Megan Olivi likes her men little..

Henry definitely did more damage. According to fight metric Benividez outstruck Cejudo by one punch. While Cejudo had one take down to Josephs zero take down. Close fight but I had it a draw if you took the point away from Henry. BTW, the point deduction was absolutely ridiculous.
You can't just keep kicking someone in the balls though.

Back