What did you make of Demetrious Johnson's performance last night?

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here's my immediate reaction - I was disappointed.

Tim Elliott is a tough guy, but he is not an elite fighter. Tim has been on a good run since being cut from the ranks of the UFC, but he has lost every time he's faced a solid Flyweight fighter - and that is a fact.

Tim is unorthodox, but he's also sloppy, very sloppy. He's good in scrambles, but showed that he isn't great off of his back. DJ passed guard like there was no guard to pass, and as much as Tim prevented a submission he didn't offer much of anything once taken down.

Demetrious should be finishing guys like Tim, and if he can't do that, he should be putting a beating on him.

DJ was dropped by a looping left-hand, and was taken down several times by a guy he really has no business getting taken down by. I keep hearing "Tim is so much bigger", well he's taller, yes, but he's not some giant of a man - Benavidez and Bagautinov are very similar size to DJ and they dealt with him with relative ease.

Losing 1 round of a 5 round fight is nothing to be ashamed of, but he was dominated in that round. If Tim had some actual coordination to his striking he genuinely might have been able to win more rounds or even threaten a finish. Demetrious didn't tap, and didn't look all that close to tapping, but that D'arce was fucking tight - I genuinely thought we might see an upset there for a split second.

I don't expect the "Pound for Pound best fighter in the world" to be struggling with a guy who's arguably not even in the top 10 of the division, I also don't expect said fighter to essentially lay and pray to a victory. You have to offer more than just passing guard and trying for armbars for 4 whole rounds, I didn't see much of anything standing up and that was shocking. Never felt like Tim was in danger of being finished on the ground either, whether it be strikes or submissions.

I thought that Demetrious didn't really look like the great fighter that he is last night - he looked average. I say that because I think most Flyweights could have done that to Tim last night, Tim is not great.

My grade for DJ: C+

Demetrious losing a step? Took Tim for granted? Cruising at this stage of his career?

What do we think? and how would you grade that performance last night?

1_dj_hl_pic.vresize.1200.675.high.31.jpg

Honestly I thought he did exactly what he needed to do. Elliot is super unorthodox on the feet and MM didn't have the reach to be able to neutralise him standing up. So he took him down and pretty much had his way on the ground for 4 out of the 5 rounds.

He might not have looked really impressive in doing so, but the fight wasn't close.

Herb looks huge in that picture

"Demetrious should be finishing guys like Tim, and if he can't do that, he should be putting a beating on him."

He finished Cejudo, Benavidez and Horiguchi, among other excellent fighters. So what if he couldn't finish Elliot? It happens. Anderson Silva has decisioned (even lost to) mediocre fighters and KO'd great ones.

Last edited:
He looked great, as always. He got into a few bad spots at first, but easily dominated once he got in his groove.
I can't wait for him to get 2 more defenses and beat the all-time record. Silva who?

It was ok. It felt more like a grappling match than anything else.

His performance was Okay. But before judging him, remember Matt Serra TKO greatest Welterweight of all time. Same story : won TUF and got title shot.

He looked great, as always. He got into a few bad spots at first, but easily dominated once he got in his groove.
I can't wait for him to get 2 more defenses and beat the all-time record. Silva who?
Silva who?

Demetrious isn't even in the same league as Anderson Silva, and unless he goes up and beats everyone at 135lbs he will never even be in the same conversation. These boys at 125lbs are simply not good enough, and people forget how controversial the Benavidez and Dodson fights were the first go-around. That's not even mentioning McCall.

Demetrious is great, but that performance last night was a GSP vs Hardy-esque - not impressed.

I think Tim actually could have beat him with a better strategy rather than dropping for chokes. He was putting himself in terrible positions. If he had kept the fight at range he would have had a better chance to win.

I'm beginning to think MM is overrated. Joe B is supposed to be one of his biggest wins and he looked absolutely awful last night. He has almost no striking technique and just relies on his quickness.

Here's my immediate reaction - I was disappointed.

Tim Elliott is a tough guy, but he is not an elite fighter. Tim has been on a good run since being cut from the ranks of the UFC, but he has lost every time he's faced a solid Flyweight fighter - and that is a fact.

Tim is unorthodox, but he's also sloppy, very sloppy. He's good in scrambles, but showed that he isn't great off of his back. DJ passed guard like there was no guard to pass, and as much as Tim prevented a submission he didn't offer much of anything once taken down.

Demetrious should be finishing guys like Tim, and if he can't do that, he should be putting a beating on him.

DJ was dropped by a looping left-hand, and was taken down several times by a guy he really has no business getting taken down by. I keep hearing "Tim is so much bigger", well he's taller, yes, but he's not some giant of a man - Benavidez and Bagautinov are very similar size to DJ and they dealt with him with relative ease.

Losing 1 round of a 5 round fight is nothing to be ashamed of, but he was dominated in that round. If Tim had some actual coordination to his striking he genuinely might have been able to win more rounds or even threaten a finish. Demetrious didn't tap, and didn't look all that close to tapping, but that D'arce was fucking tight - I genuinely thought we might see an upset there for a split second.

I don't expect the "Pound for Pound best fighter in the world" to be struggling with a guy who's arguably not even in the top 10 of the division, I also don't expect said fighter to essentially lay and pray to a victory. You have to offer more than just passing guard and trying for armbars for 4 whole rounds, I didn't see much of anything standing up and that was shocking. Never felt like Tim was in danger of being finished on the ground either, whether it be strikes or submissions.

I thought that Demetrious didn't really look like the great fighter that he is last night - he looked average. I say that because I think most Flyweights could have done that to Tim last night, Tim is not great.

My grade for DJ: C+

Demetrious losing a step? Took Tim for granted? Cruising at this stage of his career?

What do we think? and how would you grade that performance last night?

1_dj_hl_pic.vresize.1200.675.high.31.jpg

I honestly think he took him for granted a bit, and was a bit unprepared. He looked pretty sloppy that first round, and honestly most of the fight, but the thing is, his sloppy (like Jon Jones) still enables him to dominate the fight.

I think Tim actually could have beat him with a better strategy rather than dropping for chokes. He was putting himself in terrible positions. If he had kept the fight at range he would have had a better chance to win.

I'm beginning to think MM is overrated. Joe B is supposed to be one of his biggest wins and he looked absolutely awful last night. He has almost no striking technique and just relies on his quickness.
I've been saying this for a long time, Johnson is obviously super-talented and he's a great fighter - but the level of competition is horrible.

He beat Tim Elliott last night, like take a minute to let that sink in.

He faced Tim fucking Elliott, and almost got finished in the first round. As you said, if it wasn't for Tim wanting to fight like Kalib Starnes mixed with Nick Diaz then he might have actually had a chance to win.

Very disappointed in that performance.

I honestly think he took him for granted a bit, and was a bit unprepared. He looked pretty sloppy that first round, and honestly most of the fight, but the thing is, his sloppy (like Jon Jones) still enables him to dominate the fight.
If he had fought Dodson like that last night he'd have been slept.

I thought Hiro should have been fighting him, not Timmy.

Last night's fight says more about Tim than DJ. Everyone took this kid for granted and he shut them all up lol

"Demetrious should be finishing guys like Tim, and if he can't do that, he should be putting a beating on him."

He finished Benavidez and Horiguchi, among other excellent fighters. So what if he couldn't finish Elliot? It happens. Anderson Silva has decisioned (even lost to) mediocre fighters and KO'd great ones.
Anderson Silva completely embarrassed those that he couldn't finish.

They all left with cuts, black eyes and pretty much didn't touch him.

Leites and Maia are obviously who I speak of.

Those guys also were not guys who rolled in from Titan FC after beating 3 nobodies, they actually beat some high-level guys prior to fighting Anderson.

DJ lay in north-south for most of that fight, it was a weird, boring fight.

Excellent escape of choke
. dominated the grappling.

If he had fought Dodson like that last night he'd have been slept.

Nah. Elliot's not a bad fighter. He was always a solid top 15, fringe top 10 guy and he's gotten better since he was released. I was always surprised why they released him, but whatever.

Elliot's the much bigger and fighter, and like you said unorthodox. After about a round, Mighty Mouse had figured him out. He's clearly already figured out Dodson.

Different fights have different styles and aren't going to have the same outcomes. One punch thrown differently can change how an entire fight goes down.

Back