Ryan Hall (TUF 24) Considerations

Exemplar

Fuligin Belt
@Black
Reaction score
TUF 24 Finale did something that I was not exactly expecting... it sort of rebooted the 'just-bleed' or preference for striking debate that has aways existed with MMA fans. After the Maynard/Hall bout, multiple threads showing dislike for Hall's tactics popped. I thought: why did I find his creative use of grappling refreshing, where others clearly did not?

This dislike shared amongst a bigly portion of members is clear. I'm of the other view, seeing his offensive rolls to grappling and defensive snap-guard attempts could lead other fighters to look at how to utilize their grappling in the future.

One of the biggest names in all of MMA, winner of UFC 1,2,4, Royce Gracie essentially put MMA on the map for countless fans, using BJJ almost exclusively. Presently, very, very few top tier fighters are BJJ/grappling purests.

Twenty-three years after Royce's UFC 1 win, the sport evolved to its current state where striking and wrestling overshadows grappling in terms of utilized offensive tactics. If there was a next-stage evolution, a resurgence in grappling/BJJ, is that a bad thing for MMA? Would a revitalized grappling emphasis really turn-off a lot of fans (considering there are orgs dedicated to boxing, kickboxing, etc. that they can go to)?

I honestly liked that fight.
Hall does some slick shit.
And Gray had no answer to it

I honestly liked that fight.
Hall does some slick shit.
And Gray had no answer to it
I 100% agree. But I recognize a good portion of members did not like Hall's methods.

I'm not a fan of the flopping but Hall has a point when he says Gray has every capability to engage, and it couldn't be argued who was more effective as a striker.

The Unified Rules ripped off everything from boxing. MMA should be fought under Pride Rules

I thought it was awesome.

I wished the "hairrow" was still active that would be mayhem in the cage with spinning shit vs spinning shit

Hall won that fight on PRIDE rules as well. He outstruck Maynard handily and wobbled him.
I'm aware but it doesn't change the fact that the 10-point system is flawed for MMA. Thompso vs Woodley shows that

let's see him fight someone ranked in the top 50 before we deem him the evolution of bjj in mma, to me, he's basically like Kenny Florian & Royce Gracie's love child at this point.. not my cup of tea, but I respect what he brings to the table, it's a much more "cerebral" style of fighting, not sure if that's the right word

I'd like to see him fight another BJJ black belt with striking power

I really like Hall as a fighter. He does some things no one else does. And If Gray had a problem with Hall flopping, he needed to do something about that. And he clearly didn't.

I liked the fight.

Hall won that fight on PRIDE rules as well. He outstruck Maynard handily and wobbled him.

You didn't understand the argument. Under Pride rules, there would be kicking, kneeing, stomping, etc. to the downed opponents face. A good way to get out of the 50/50 guard is to stomp the shit out of the guy's head with your free leg.

You didn't understand the argument. Under Pride rules, there would be kicking, kneeing, stomping, etc. to the downed opponents face. A good way to get out of the 50/50 guard is to stomp the shit out of the guy's head with your free leg.

That's also a good way to escape heel hooks, ankle locks, toe holds, and knee bars.

Hall looked great. Really impressed with his growth in striking. His rolls going for takedowns were good too. He got it down a couple times and thats where hes really dangerous. Just because its not a power double attempt doesnt bother me. Hall won easy. And he made it entertaining. Gray was the problem.

Hall got beaten up easily by Saul Rogers.

I'm a fan of Ryan and enjoyed seeing him expand his skills in the striking department. I thought he fought smart and avoided getting in a brawl with Gray. His leg lock attempts are unorthodox and didn't work well last night, but they were an attempt to get the fight in his realm. Gray did nothing to answer for Ryan's kicking on the feet.

Everyone is complaining, but the lack of engagement in the fight is more Gray's fault than anything. It's as though he only knows one way to fight and you have to appease him for it to be exciting.

Back