UFC are hypocrites that do shit to promote DJ

NuMe

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
First,

Starts at 0:00.

And then what they do, DJ is headlining a show in a place with what, 2.500 seats? When did they promote DJ? How? When did DJ got some kind of commentating role or something, like Woodley did recently or bunch of fighters are/were?

Yes, people aren't really excited about manlets fighting, but if UFC could promote that 'once in life Ronda' shit to mainstream media, story about guy that breaks records, and seemingly good guy that also still has his every day job outside fighting, could be promoted much more.

DJ doesn't have personality. The first thing he does when Anik interviews him after the fight is thanking his sponsors and stuff.

All DJ cares about is winning fights and im good with that

DJ doesn't have personality. The first thing he does when Anik interviews him after the fight is thanking his sponsors and stuff.

By personality you mean trash talk.

First,

Starts at 0:00.

And then what they do, DJ is headlining a show in a place with what, 2.500 seats? When did they promote DJ? How? When did DJ got some kind of commentating role or something, like Woodley did recently or bunch of fighters are/were?

Yes, people aren't really excited about manlets fighting, but if UFC could promote that 'once in life Ronda' shit to mainstream media, story about guy that breaks records, and seemingly good guy that also still has his every day job outside fighting, could be promoted much more.

You can't promote lack of charisma, excitement, size and looks.

Unfortunately, DJ is facing limitations in every way. He fights in the lightest weightclass, against which there are always biases. He is not particularly charismatic. He doesn't trash talk, is not humorous, nor does he give sizzling punchlines which resonate in the media. His style, while amazing skillswise, is oftentimes very technical and methodical, rather than explosive and exciting. This makes him less accessible to the wide fanbase and viewership which does not have deep appreciation for technique or understand it very well.

He is not a poster boy looks wise either. He is not Rockhold or Cruz. On top of all of that, he fights in a division where there are no substantive rivalries or interesting challengers, not to mention DJ has basically cleaned it out already. There's no one to get him the exposure he needs, like Conor was for Nate or Aldo. So he's in a shitty situation, but it's the nature of business.

Ronda had an obnoxious but marketable personality, finished fights, had looks, and was the dominant champ.

DJ is not marketed because he is not a product that is attractive. If he was they would promote him.

Ronda is a woman, so that already had a huge target audience and she's an Olympic Medalist who was arm barring everyone in 1rd. Im not interested at all in WMMA but I tuned in to Rondas fights just to see if she can get that arm bar. DJ is one of my favorite fighters to watch because I watch MMA to study and learn moves and DJ is probably the most skilled fighter out there. I love his interviews and any of the pre fight documentary stuff they have on him. He seems like a great guy and a great dad too. I think it has less to do with his height and more to do with the lack of quality opponents, or he's just too good and makes them look bad. Like all that "Olympic Gold Medalist Henry Cejudo" hype..I knew Henry was going to get smoked.

I agree, except he does have a bit of a personality just a bad manager - he should showcase it more, and the UFC should shove more mics in his face.

D.J just isn't marketable. Reasons short ,bald, not funny, 125 pounds, dark, isn't a drug user, doesn't do hit and run accidents, defends his title, just to ordinary!

You can't promote lack of charisma, excitement, size and looks.

Unfortunately, DJ is facing limitations in every way. He fights in the lightest weightclass, against which there are always biases. He is not particularly charismatic. He doesn't trash talk, is not humorous, nor does he give sizzling punchlines which resonate in the media. His style, while amazing skillswise, is oftentimes very technical and methodical, rather than explosive and exciting. This makes him less accessible to the wide fanbase and viewership which does not have deep appreciation for technique or understand it very well.

He is not a poster boy looks wise either. He is not Rockhold or Cruz. On top of all of that, he fights in a division where there are no substantive rivalries or interesting challengers, not to mention DJ has basically cleaned it out already. There's no one to get him the exposure he needs, like Conor was for Nate or Aldo. So he's in a shitty situation, but it's the nature of business.

Ronda had an obnoxious but marketable personality, finished fights, had looks, and was the dominant champ.

DJ is not marketed because he is not a product that is attractive. If he was they would promote him.
This looks like a post about GSP.

Yet, he is one of the biggest stars ever.

DJ also finishes fights (5 of 9 defenses) and is the dominant champ. Only difference is Ronda is a trash talker and UFC tried hard to promote her.

Believe me, marketing experts could promote my grandpa if they tried hard.

I remember MM being interviewed on The MMA Hour with "AAAAAARRRRRRIIIIEEEELLLL hellWAAAAneeeee" and he had a super fun personality. He's comfortable talking and joking around. He's got personality.

Easier for me to hop on board with this if you had made this after the Joey rematch or even after the Cejudo fight, so it's not hard to imagine what "casual" followers think. Elliott isn't a top-tier fighter and MM stunk the joint up. He'd be easier to promote if he had beaten him to a pulp.

MM also has to beat these dudes up to get people excited, since he doesn't create anticipation before fights. Sonnen wasn't what you'd usually call exciting, but he made people invested in the fight (or rather the event) regardless of if it's finishes or not.

Dana's great when he's like that

But WME-IMG will never let him talk that way again

It's 2016 and it is obvious the ufc media army could hype him as hell if they only wanted. Part of the latest ufc mo is to promote whoever the fuck they want...

This looks like a post about GSP.

Yet, he is one of the biggest stars ever.

DJ also finishes fights (5 of 9 defenses) and is the dominant champ. Only difference is Ronda is a trash talker and UFC tried hard to promote her.

Believe me, marketing experts could promote my grandpa if they tried hard.

GSP fights in a bigger weightclass, had the whole Canadian fanbase behind him, he was in extremely impressive shape, was a very vocal and intelligent interlocutor, and he participated in a division with some of the most popular fighters in the UFC: Hughes, Penn. He also had a massive rivalry with Diaz. You forget that GSP gained his immense popularity before he became solidified as a champion and started having more decisions and fighting more conservatively. His fights with Penn and Hughes were immensely influential in catapulting him to stardom, his recuperation of the title against Serra was too.

It is nothing like DJ's case. You didn't even read it seems.

Back