Thoughts on Mighty Mouse vs Elliott??

SketchBounce

Fuck me up fam.
Banned
Reaction score
After watching the main event I'm a little skeptical. The Mighty Mouse that showed up tonight looked very beatable against an opponent that looked pretty sub-par. I personally think the Benavidez and Cejudo that showed up tonight in the co main event looked like they could have easily taken Mighty Mouse out.

My further skepticism of this main event comes around the general lack of talent in the flyweight division in general. I honestly think that Mighty Mouse held back in this fight and made it look more like a grappling match to draw the fight on in hopes of making it more interesting in hopes of drawing attention to his division, himself and sales in general.

I'm not saying the fight was staged nor fixed, but does anyone else think or even consider that Mighty Mouse was holding back even the slightest bit in this fight?

The Mighty Mouse that so many people claim to be the #1 P4P fighter should have been able to finish Elliott in 5 rounds no problem.

On a sidenote: Ryan Hall has to be the most boring fighter to watch and I can't see him getting another fight any time soon with a performance like that. Jesus Christ.

Tim with a decent training camp wins

He is automatically #2 at bw now also

MM had issues with larger opponents at 135. Elliot is the largest 125er that DJ has fought in some time, especially in regards to his use of reach.

Against Joe and Cejudo, DJ would be facing opponents that need to come to him as much as the other way again. I was as surprised as anyone that DJ's speed didn't just get him inside on Tim, but in retrospect, it isn't that shocking.

Mighty Mouse was dealing with a guy who presented a good challenge and he beat him soundly. It's that simple. He fought and won like a Champion.

MM had issues with larger opponents at 135. Elliot is the largest 125er that DJ has fought in some time, especially in regards to his use of reach.

Against Joe and Cejudo, DJ would be facing opponents that need to come to him as much as the other way again. I was as surprised as anyone that DJ's speed didn't just get him inside on Tim, but in retrospect, it isn't that shocking.

Thank you for a solid response.

That's why fights ain't fought on paper. Tim is very unorthodox. Difficult to get his timing down. He is big for flyweight. Plus he was able to get out of every submission attempt where others could not. Gotta give him lots of credit rather than taking away from DJ. I mean after the first, DJ was in control. Half of it was just lay n pray, but he had many attempts of submissions. Tim was just slick enough to get out. I guess you can say DJ should have tried to pound him on the ground more, but Tim was able to scare him enough with his defense off his back. Also thought, Tim was winning the stand up battle. Entertaining fight for the most part.

Mouse is overrated as fuck.

Dont get me wrong. I appreciate his talents but his level of competition is far weaker than the other top P4P fighters.

I get it. Nobody cares about the manlet division so the UFC marketing machine tries to hype him up as the "greatest martial artist ever" and "most skilled fighter in the sport"

No he isnt and no he isnt. He is a great fighter but hes not Conor, he's not Jones, Stipe or Cormier. His opponents arent as good and as dangerous as their opponents are.

His division is paper thin and the best guy they could get for him is a 14-6 journeyman from TUF and Mouse struggled with him. P4P #1 my ass.

I honestly think that Mighty Mouse held back in this fight and made it look more like a grappling match to draw the fight on in hopes of making it more interesting in hopes of drawing attention to his division, himself and sales in general.

Nope. He was having problems with Elliott so he set out to neutralize him. MM fights to win, he doesn't give a shit whether it's interesting.

Thank you for a solid response.

No problem! One thing this fight probably did was nix any chance of DJ returning to 135. The gate was terrible and we saw what he looked like as the smaller man again.

Imagine if this fight took place at 135. Elliot has already talked about the draining cut, and he's visibly leaner than his frame needs to be. You put 10 lbs on each of these guys and DJ doesn't benefit at all, he's probably actually slower, while Elliot gains in strength and cardio.

There are so many contributing factors involved with every fight.

Did fighter " A " have an injury that could have affected his performance ?

Maybe fighter " B " had an illness that fucked him up.

Fighter " C " may have not been in the best place mentally. Perhaps a death in the family. Possible relationship trouble, etc.

It's impossible to know what factors... If any... That could have affected any fighter's performance.

Then there's the straight up physical advantages some might enjoy... Longer reach, iron chin, etc.

" Should have been able to finish "...

Hmmm... Like Bones, Cruz, or GSP ? Those fuckers never went to a decision.

Seriously...

I put no stock in that result. He won in dominant fashion. It just may not have been his best day... For any number of reasons.

It's kinda fucked that I even have to point this shit out.

Mouse is overrated as fuck.

Dont get me wrong. I appreciate his talents but his level of competition is far weaker than the other top P4P fighters.

I get it. Nobody cares about the manlet division so the UFC marketing machine tries to hype him up as the "greatest martial artist ever" and "most skilled fighter in the sport"

No he isnt and no he isnt. He is a great fighter but hes not Conor, he's not Jones, Stipe or Cormier. His opponents arent as good and as dangerous as their opponents are.

His division is paper thin and the best guy they could get for him is a 14-6 journeyman from TUF and Mouse struggled with him. P4P #1 my ass.

His competition aside, he's a very skilled, complete fighter, which is why most people have him high on their p4p list, not just his record. I'd say skill wise the only person you mentioned that might be better is jon and he happens to enjoy a significant size and reach advantage over most of his oppenents. Do remember that many people thought he lost his first fight with someone who matched him in the size department, though he still enjoyed a sizable reach advantage. Let's not pretend that lhw and hw are stacked either. Looking at the rankings, I'm more impressed with flyweight than either.

Great fight. I enjoyed it throughly.

Great scrambles, great grappling, great transitions, great offense met by great defense...

Fun fight. 5 minutes of non-stop action.

Would like to see this one again down the road.

watching it I thought eliminate this whole division

regarding the other fight, Cejudo won

Very surprised he couldnt strike with him. If anything I thought MM looked rusty and came with a bad game plan in the 1st. I also think Elliot looked amazing as ever. He didnt even try to defend takedowns which is why he could strike with MM. It cost him the fight but it was a risk he was willing to take knowing he couldnt get subbed or damaged too much on the ground by the significantly smaller fighter.

Strange fight but had its moments, the thing that gets me is that Elliot dropped DJ with a left hook and DJ was on the mat stunned for like a second or 2 and instead of pouncing on DJ, Elliot just decided to throw a PRIDE style soccer kick to DJ's head, he really could have finished DJ right there and then but he was clearly gassed real early on, great job from DJ but not the greatest fight I've ever seen

I think it should have been Hiro in that cage for DJ.

Back