The Future of Tim Elliot

MacDougall

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Elliot is definitely a very good fighter. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be able to get wins over top guys. He fights them, looks great, is entertaining... but loses. So the tendency is to put him in there with another top guy and it happens again.

He is a guy I want to see stay in the UFC but he needs to be protected somewhat. He should go down and fight a fringe top 15 guy before taking on a top guy again. If he fights Cejudo and looks good and loses... well he is on another UFC losing streak and probably a loss away from being cut again.

Elliot vs. Smolka for me. And if he wins... I would put him in there with another 10-15 guy afterwards. I would like to see him get a few wins together.

He just needs a SLIGHT improvement in his wrestling, and dude could be champ.

He damn near subbed MM in that first round.

We need to see how he does against another top guy that isn't DJ. He literally had nothing to lose in this fight which really gave him the ability to do whatever

He has a very good defensive ground game. Sharp enough to scramble between transitions. Caught MM in multiple choke holds. Showed how much stronger he was than MM...etc. Unfortunately he didn't really show any formable striking skills. His cardio started to slowdown after round 2.

He probably should move up a weight class.

that was the most fun I've had watching a flyweight fight. Tim Elliot adds excitement to a mainly lackluster division. If he improves his wrestling and cardio, I think he could eventually beat dj. regardless, he sold me on entertainment value.

The point is we have already seen this before. He is awesome but he doesn't win. If you like him and want to see him fight in the UFC you need to hope they put him in there against some of the 2nd tier guys.

With better focus and discipline Elliot would have won tonight. DJ had nothing for him on the feet due to his reach and strength disadvantage. If Elliot's cardio had been better I also think he would have out grappled DJ.

DJ showed why he is the Champ though, his composure and focus won him this fight.

Back