Hall vs Maynard streetfight ?

shrame99

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Imagine if you saw a fight like Hall vs Maynard on the street ?

Imagine Hall falling to the ground every time he got rushed... would you say Hall won ?

Obviously a UFC fight is not a street fight but I"m just trying to make a point...

If you want to grapple your opponent then you have to be aggressive. Kicking you opponent with the end of your foot or your toes and then falling down every time he tries to engage you with boxing or kickboxing is A JOKE.

You can argue that Hall fought smart but let me ask you this, would it be smart for Maynard to follow Hall to the ground and go where Hall wanted the fight to go ?

Imagine if every superior grappler did what Hall did ? Would you even want to watch UFC ? I wouldn't...

In any case I don't see Hall getting anywhere with that style, he may win some minor fights but he's not going to gain many fans, the UFC isn't going to move him up in the rankings and his career isn't going to progress very much...

Well considering the fact that Hall out struck Gray by a large margin, and did way more damage...what the fuck are you going on about.

Ya it was frustrating to watch but I think both fighters are to blame. Hall maybe should have been given a warning for not engaging and Maynard should have at least tried something different, maybe should have kicked his opponents hands or something

Well considering the fact that Hall out struck Gray by a large margin, and did way more damage...what the fuck are you going on about.

He's saying that had there been no rules ala a street fight, Maynard would have stomped on and soccer kicked the crap out of Hall's big head, thereby beating him.

Hall threw more strikes. landed more, and did more damage

Maynard walked around like a snake coiled up, but one that never struck

Hall did engage him. Falling to your back to engage in a grappling match, and then have your opponent walk away is not stalling, fleeing, or refusing to fight.

The street fight comment is ridiculous. Fighters train to fight certain opponents under certain rules, and many of those rules are bias against a grappler, so enough of the complaining.

Hall engaged Maynard on the feet when he didn't want to, and Maynard, as a well-trained grappler himself, should be expected to be able to fight anyone on the ground in a sport that is based on grappling. Maynard made that fight boring. Hall was always required to stand back up.

If more grapplers did what Hall did, then more fighters that didn't want to follow them there would have to start doing so. Maynard lost. So, he obviously should have done something different. Not every fighter can do what Hall does, and many more fighters would follow them to the ground anyway. there is no excuse for Maynard refusing any part of the grappling. Inexcusable, cowardly, and it cost him the fight.

I would rather watch what Hall did against Maynard than the terrible, half-hearted wrestling, and kickboxing sparring matches that make up most MMA fights; not to mention the just bleed toughman contests that are not worth watching.

MMA needs fewer fans like you.

I liked his scrambles. Made some excitement really. The fight was all hall. Even on the street knees will get blown out. Gray better bring a bat a knife or something.

we have been drinking a bit today (bedlam football), but I really loved this fight. it was strangely satisfying to watch gray complain constantly but not do anything.

reminds me of when Anderson would constantly taunt others and complain when people didn't fight exactly the way he wanted to fight. it works both ways. not sure what Maynard can complain about.

great job hall.

and amazingly eloquent post fight speech. my new favorite fighter.

as for warning hall...warn him to do or not do what exactly? should sloppy strikers be warned everyone they wing a telegraphed haymaker?

fun and different fight. enjoyed it.

Also, what is this whole stomps and soccer kids to the head fantasy that people seem to think happened all the time to grapplers in Pride? Hall's rotation on the ground does not leave him vulnerable to head stomps, or soccer kicks; especially when his opponent is busy try to avoid being entangled. Those strikes have to be set-up.

People seem to think that Hall would just lie there upside down, still, and patient while his opponent set-up a soccer kick, or head stomps, or whatever goody strategy you think he's vulnerable to. It's pure fantasy.

Halls roll is not the same as being face down off of a takedown, while your opponent soccer kicks your head, which how many soccer kicks, and head stomps occurred in Pride.

i would be ok with it, if hall didnt sit on his ass for awhile after each "attempt"

thats timidity, fights have been called because people stayed in the crab position. at the very least he shouldve gotten a warning, but really he should have a point taken after the 20th time of sitting there

Hall did engage him. Falling to your back to engage in a grappling match, and then have your opponent walk away is not stalling, fleeing, or refusing to fight.

The street fight comment is ridiculous. Fighters train to fight certain opponents under certain rules, and many of those rules are bias against a grappler, so enough of the complaining.

Hall engaged Maynard on the feet when he didn't want to, and Maynard, as a well-trained grappler himself, should be expected to be able to fight anyone on the ground in a sport that is based on grappling. Maynard made that fight boring. Hall was always required to stand back up.

If more grapplers did what Hall did, then more fighters that didn't want to follow them there would have to start doing so. Maynard lost. So, he obviously should have done something different. Not every fighter can do what Hall does, and many more fighters would follow them to the ground anyway. there is no excuse for Maynard refusing any part of the grappling. Inexcusable, cowardly, and it cost him the fight.

I would rather watch what Hall did against Maynard than the terrible, half-hearted wrestling, and kickboxing sparring matches that make up most MMA fights; not to mention the just bleed toughman contests that are not worth watching.

MMA needs fewer fans like you.

How can you call someone FALLING to the ground when he gets engaged by boxing/kickboxing ENGAGING ? Imagine if Nate or Alvarez would have done that every time Conor came to throw a punch the ENTIRE match... If Hall wanted to take Maynard to the ground then he should have grappled him, not PRENTED TO DIE everytime he Maynard threw a punch... btw I don't think you're an MMA fan, calling most matches half hearted wrestling and kickboxing sparring matches proves that. Maybe you should just watch wrestling or Ju Jitsu matches ?

we have been drinking a bit today (bedlam football), but I really loved this fight. it was strangely satisfying to watch gray complain constantly but not do anything.

reminds me of when Anderson would constantly taunt others and complain when people didn't fight exactly the way he wanted to fight. it works both ways. not sure what Maynard can complain about.

great job hall.

and amazingly eloquent post fight speech. my new favorite fighter.

as for warning hall...warn him to do or not do what exactly? should sloppy strikers be warned everyone they wing a telegraphed haymaker?

fun and different fight. enjoyed it.
Good point. What about wrestlers who refuse to pass guard, or throw significant strikes over and over again, but get rewarded for it? What about guys who clinch constantly and lean on their opponent? What about guys who refuse to go to the ground at all? What about guys who run the entire fight, but barely a mention is made.

The reality is most MMA fans would rather watch a sloppy striking match than any kind of grappling match.

Like anything else in society, roughly only %20 percent of any alrge group actually cares intellectually about anything they're watching, or doing.

i would be ok with it, if hall didnt sit on his ass for awhile after each "attempt"

thats timidity, fights have been called because people stayed in the crab position. at the very least he shouldve gotten a warning, but really he should have a point taken after the 20th time of sitting there
Timidity? His opponent is refusing to give him the distance to stand-up, suggesting that if he did, he would try to catch him while getting up. That is what you are supposed to do in that situation. It's proper defense. Hall waited for either Maynard to walk away, or the referee to restart. Hall even moved forward on his butt while Maynard scurried to his safe space.

The public will always become frustrated by the intelligent solution. It's just a fact of life. It's not going to change Hall. But don't despair, I feel fairly confident that the UFC will find ways to remove more, and more grappling in the future. The fanbase isn't educated enough to let it remain.

How can you call someone FALLING to the ground when he gets engaged by boxing/kickboxing ENGAGING ? Imagine if Nate or Alvarez would have done that every time Conor came to throw a punch the ENTIRE match... If Hall wanted to take Maynard to the ground then he should have grappled him, not PRENTED TO DIE everytime he Maynard threw a punch... btw I don't think you're an MMA fan, calling most matches half hearted wrestling and kickboxing sparring matches proves that. Maybe you should just watch wrestling or Ju Jitsu matches ?

Pretend to die? No, he ducked out of the way of his punches, and stayed right in front of him. Gray refused to follow up. Gray wanted the referee to make it a striking only match, and he even lost that. This is not boxing. Again, this is not boxing. You are expected to know enough grappling to compete with your opponent.

Grappling is the only thing that makes MMA unique. It's the foundation of the sport. Without grapplers it's just shitty kickboxing.

I watch BJJ tournaments, and wrestling. I also watch MMA. Unlike you, I can do both.

You just can't relate to the sport as it is practiced. It's okay, most fans come, and go. You'll find something else to complain about.

Maynard should have points taken away for not fighting. Some dude on Tuf who's name i don't even remember controlled and beat the shit of Ryan Hall using his wrestling. Maynard did more whining then fighting. I don't see what the fuck everyone is complaining about.

Pretend to die? No, he ducked out of the way of his punches, and stayed right in front of him. Gray refused to follow up. Gray wanted the referee to make it a striking only match, and he even lost that. This is not boxing. Again, this is not boxing. You are expected to know enough grappling to compete with your opponent.

Grappling is the only thing that makes MMA unique. It's the foundation of the sport. Without grapplers it's just shitty kickboxing.

I watch BJJ tournaments, and wrestling. I also watch MMA. Unlike you, I can do both.

You just can't relate to the sport as it is practiced. It's okay, most fans come, and go. You'll find something else to complain about.

If Hall wanted to take Maynard to the ground then he should have engaged him and forced him down but falling down on purpose to bait your opponent 15 to 20 times in 15 minutes is a joke, that is not a fight, don't expect to see Hall in the main card anytime soon with that style.

Maynard should have absolutely had a point taken away from him. Put an end to this walk away bullshit. This is the second time Maynard has complained during the fight because his opponent wasn't doing what he wanted, but at least with Guida, Guida was actually running like Maynard did in this fight.

I'm sick of these grapple-phobic fighters who think they should exploit the rules by walking away.

If Hall wanted to take Maynard to the ground then he should have engaged him and forced him down but falling down on purpose to bait your opponent 15 to 20 times in 15 minutes is a joke, that is not a fight, don't expect to see Hall in the main card anytime soon with that style.

Oh, enough. It doesn't matter what Hall does to gain fans. Grappling is becoming less respected as the casual fanbase increases, and the entire sport becomes more generic. I see the UFC making it harder for any kind of grappler to dominate in the future. The yahoo fans have won.

Maia is the consummate grappler, and an incredible fighter, and people still find him boring, and act like he does nothing. There's nothing you can do except become McGregor to have a large fanbase in modern MMA. So, why bother if that's not what you want to be?

Ryan can honor his style, and keep his integrity. He doesn't care what the fans think, so, neither should you.

It's nice to see fighters who tell the viewers to fuck off. We need more of them. "Fans" only have so much sway.

Back