Mcgregors UFC contract

arcadehero

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I recall Conor doing a few interviews saying he signed a new contract right before the Aldo fight (i could be wrong here). Think he said he signed a 4 fight deal. Since then he fought Aldo, Diaz, Diaz, Eddie. So it would make sense for him to put the pressure on UFC for a new bigger contract OR he walks and go to another sport like boxing. This would be a legitimate threat.

However, if he still has fights left on his current contract wouldn't that diminish his leverage? UFC can simply say finish your contract first and if you wanna play hard ball then We are gonna feed you all the hard fights and see if you got any leverage left when you finish up your current contract on a losing streak.

Thoughts?

Sherdog is the wrong place to be asking about contract implications.

I too would like to know if how many fights he has left on the contract. This unknown fact is what this entire situation sits on. If he's locked up all this boxing talk then it is just that, talk.

Exactly. Imagine he signed a 10 fight deal before the Aldo fight. Why would the UFC give a f*ck what he wants? He has no leverage. But if he just finished off his contract with that eddie fight...I can totally see Conor making crazy demands and UFC gotta be atleast somewhat nervous with all that debt with new owner and now the top ppv draw asking for the farm or he walks.

IIRC he's re-negotiated after every single fight for the last couple years. That's one of the reasons there's always some kind of drama before his fights are signed.

IIRC he's re-negotiated after every single fight for the last couple years. That's one of the reasons there's always some kind of drama before his fights are signed.

I believe the money part is negotiated on a per fight basis but the length was set initially.

UFC isn't gonna play hard ball with Conor, they are gonna play touch butt. They need Conor since they have so few stars and are shit at marketing anybody who doesn't do all the work themselves. Conor has all the power in negotiation, UFC gonna give him 10 million a fight while other good fighters get 10/10k.

Conor negotiates with the UFC on a fight-by-fight basis.

Would be hard to imagine top fighter in the game on a 1 fight contract lol. UFC would be dumb as F if they did that with all their top fighters lol. And if that's the case why doesn't aldo just walk if he was on 1 fight contract? Just finish his 1 fight and bounce

UFC isn't gonna play hard ball with Conor, they are gonna play touch butt.

They 'stripped him of his belt' and promoted a new 'champion' a week after Conor won it.

I'd say that's playing hardball.

I believe the money part is negotiated on a per fight basis but the length was set initially.
Number of fights is part of each contract. And his contract keeps changing. None of us know what that number of fights is. And it's probably unimportant, since it'll just be changed again upon the next renegotiation.

Would be hard to imagine top fighter in the game on a 1 fight contract lol. UFC would be dumb as F if they did that with all their top fighters lol. And if that's the case why doesn't aldo just walk if he was on 1 fight contract? Just finish his 1 fight and bounce
Nobody is saying Conor's on a 1-fight contract. They renegotiate anyway despite that. Fighters aren't slaves. They need to agree to fight.

Number of fights is part of each contract. And his contract keeps changing. None of us know what that number of fights is. And it's probably unimportant, since it'll just be changed again upon the next renegotiation.
How do you know his contract keeps changing? What's the point of having a contract f you gonna just keep changing the terms?

Not sure but isn't there a champion clause that stipulates a few extra fights when you get the strap? He just won another belt so...

Nobody is saying Conor's on a 1-fight contract. They renegotiate anyway despite that. Fighters aren't slaves. They need to agree to fight.
It would apear so many fighters are complaining they can't get out of Ther contract because they still have rights left on it. So why would UFC renegotiate?

Who gives a fuck ? He's a fraud that lies, and will not honour his contract anyway.

What do you think that shit before 200 was ? What do you think this ownership shit, and hiatus are now ? What about this boxing crap ?

You have to be a really " special " kind of person to be a fan of such a fraud.

giphy.gif

They 'stripped him of his belt' and promoted a new 'champion' a week after Conor won it.

I'd say that's playing hardball.

That's touch butt. They gifted him a LW title shot before all that, don't take it out of context. He still gets a belt, the poor baby.

Look, this whole arguement (and maybe you are right) about them renegotiate after every fight. Well, it just doesn't make much sense. It takes 2 sides to renegotiate. If they had a contract and Conor wants to renegotiate, the UFC don't have to. And if the UFC don't agree to renegotiate then Conor can't say OK well I'm going to boxing or another promotion. Because they still have a contract.

How do you know his contract keeps changing? What's the point of having a contract f you gonna just keep changing the terms?
They're signed by both parties with the knowledge that it'll be renegotiated. Number of fights is just there as a safeguard for the UFC to keep Conor locked into a contract with them.

We know vague details about contracts historically, as they're reported by certain people. For example, we know Conor's contract changed from UFC 194 to UFC 196, as his base pay changed. Conor reportedly was set to make $10 million flat for UFC 200, but didn't have PPV points, so we know his contract changed again. He had yet a different contract by the time UFC 202 came around, making $3 million I assume with PPV points. And I expect Conor's base pay numbers to be different yet again when 205 numbers come out (edit: IF they come out; I heard New York won't be releasing them).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back