Mike Tyson and Ricco Rodriguez....Could Jon Jones Be Next?

King Cobra

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Which do you Sherdoggers feel was the bigger more shocking upset based off the heavily favored fighter partying too much and not training for the fight?

Ricco Rodriguez losing to Tim Sylvia

Or...

Mike Tyson losing to Buster Douglas

Keep in mind that Buster Douglas could had easily been world champion during the last ten years with the only boxers possibly giving him issues being the Klitschko brothers.

So do you feel Jon Jones would face someone who would shockingly upset him and if so than who would it be?

If anyones gonna beat him at 205 it will be Rumble.

Ricco losing to Tim isn't even on the shortlist of most shocking MMA upsets. Why are you putting it up against arguably the biggest upset in the history of all sports?

Jones is certainly similar to Tyson. Both became the youngest champs (allthough I still consider Vitor to be the youngest) and seem unbeatable at a young age but they get in trouble outside the ring/cage. Additionally both party hard and start not training nearly as hard as they should.

And while both should in theory be even more unbeatable at a more advanced age they might not be.

It remains o be seen but Jones' career could mirror Tyson's a lot

November 6th, 2008.

Sonnen vs Filho 2.

Never forget...

Tim silvia got busted for roids. Man the difference in him roided vs no roided was incredible. Roided tim silvia was unstoppable.

If I was on a tv quiz show and the question was "Did Ricco Rodriguez and Tim Sylvia ever fight each other? ", I wouldn't even know.

Tim silvia got busted for roids. Man the difference in him roided vs no roided was incredible. Roided tim silvia was unstoppable.

Right. That's why he came back after getting stripped, won the belt again, defended twice (still the most number of defenses in UFC heavyweight history), and never got busted for roids again.

If I was on a tv quiz show and the question was "Did Ricco Rodriguez and Tim Sylvia ever fight each other? ", I wouldn't even know.

There's still time to learn about the old greats, young Padawan. Ricco took the belt from Randy Couture via vicious ground and pound. Then Tim knocked Ricco out cold to win the belt.

Other fun facts: Ricco submitted Big Nog with a knee bar in a grappling competition. He also fought Nog in MMA and was robbed of the decision. He was no joke, nor was Sylvia.

I gotta ask; did Tyson even get into as much trouble as Jones? I only remember the ear bite and the rape case.

With Jones we have:

-busted for two banned substances
-received five tickets at one time
-hit the pregnant lady, ran from the scene. What am I missing?

IMG_5104.GIF

I gotta ask; did Tyson even get into as much trouble as Jones? I only remember the ear bite and the rape case.

With Jones we have:

-busted for two banned substances
-received five tickets at one time
-hit the pregnant lady, ran from the scene. What am I missing?

View attachment 174427
Tyson was pure gangster, Jones is a misbehaving juvenile.

Comparing the biggest upset in Boxing history to Ricco Rodriguez and Tim Sylvia?

I'm going to have to think about this over the weekend.

Ricco losing to Tim isn't even on the shortlist of most shocking MMA upsets. Why are you putting it up against arguably the biggest upset in the history of all sports?
He was talking about guys who lost because of partying/poor discipline/distractions.

Buster no doubt. Tyson was invincible or so everyone thought. I watched that live with my father and house full of his drunk buddies. Same shit I do now with my friends. They went crazy and then silence. Fun childhood memory. We recorded on the vcr. Watched it a good ten times in the couple weeks following.

mainly cause ive seen like with tyson how problems with the law and long layoffs lead to guys downfall i dont think jones losing in the near future would even be that big of an upset.

There's still time to learn about the old greats, young Padawan. Ricco took the belt from Randy Couture via vicious ground and pound. Then Tim knocked Ricco out cold to win the belt.

Other fun facts: Ricco submitted Big Nog with a knee bar in a grappling competition. He also fought Nog in MMA and was robbed of the decision. He was no joke, nor was Sylvia.

Hey shithead, I didn't call anyone a joke.

Tyson losing to Douglas is generally regarded as the biggest sporting upset in modern times. Nobody in my lifetime has had an aura of invincibility like he had by 1990, and I'd say he was the most famous person on the planet then, even ahead of Maradoner. I remember watching the fight live in a bar in Pattaya, Thailand, with a growing sense of disbelief. People began crowding outside the bar to watch the screens, stunned that Tyson was in trouble. When he was counted out, there was pandemonium.
In sporting terms, it was like a JFK moment!

Back