Do people realise how belittling this is for MMA?

RandomUser12

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here you have your biggest star, supposedly the biggest in your sport's history, telling the entire world that his sport isn't good or big enough to satisfy his needs. That he needs to go to another sport - a much hated rival at that - in order to truly fulfil his earning potential.

Whether it's all one giant PR stunt is irrelevant; the fact that he's openly flirting with the idea at all is hugely disrespectful towards MMA. He's essentially acknowledging to the world that his own sport is inferior and small time in comparison to another one.

Nobody on this board is a bigger Conor fan than myself but he has absolutely zero respect for this sport. His casual fans have absolutely zero respect for this sport. I almost long for the day when he does leave so we can return to something that at least closely resembles a real sport.

Mcgregor got fired like Chuck and Hughes...

Get in get rich get out. Didnt read respect into that statement. If Boxing can pay him more than he ever made in UFC I don't blame him.

He just wants to get paid. is that so wrong?

Fuck the UFC. I hope McGregor does as well for himself as he can.

Hey guys, What's going on?

Edit: oh okay, well at least everyone knows they're too scared to fight in our sport because they know they'd get pretzel'd. We have the bravest toughest athletes here ;)

it's not about going to Boxing, it's about going for the biggest fight against the most famous fighter. If Mayweather were a judo player, Conor would be signing up for the IJF and trying to promote a judo match.

That is amazing news.

I didn't expect to hear that he quit the UFC and actually signed the fight with Floyd for an estimated $170,000,000 up front with PPV points. I never heard that.

Yeah, almost no one sees it that way. 99% of people looking at this see two stars potentially fighting in a huge money fight.

No one sees it the way you laid out. If anything, it's a plus for MMA to have created a star comparable to boxing's all-time biggest money attraction.

MMA has never resembled a real sport.

TS gets angry if told he looks fat in his jeans.

And Amir Khan was calling for a fight with Conor, even said he'd do it MMA rules for the payday. What an insult to boxing right?

4 bil dollar deal and we think its top stars should be grateful to get a few mil now and then and the mid to lower guys get 10k or less for multimillion dollar generating cards

If Conor actually has big money opportunities in boxing, he'd be foolish not to explore them. Even if this is all a bluff, if it gets him more money from the UFC, he'd be foolish not to use this tactic. There's no collective bargaining or anything in MMA...if Conor finds ways to use what leverage he has as an individual, then more power to him.

I remember Anderson trying this noise with Roy Jones Jr. and it was clearly just a bunch of BS. This time it feels like Conor might actually mean business.

UFC has always been a joke. They still use the "ripping me into pieces" music ffs

If Conor actually has big money opportunities in boxing, he'd be foolish not to explore them. Even if this is all a bluff, if it gets him more money from the UFC, he'd be foolish not to use this tactic. There's no collective bargaining or anything in MMA...if Conor finds ways to use what leverage he has as an individual, then more power to him.

I remember Anderson trying this noise with Roy Jones Jr. and it was clearly just a bunch of BS. This time it feels like Conor might actually mean business.

How would they even sanction it? It seems nearly impossible.

Here you have your biggest star, supposedly the biggest in your sport's history, telling the entire world that his sport isn't good or big enough to satisfy his needs. That he needs to go to another sport - a much hated rival at that - in order to truly fulfil his earning potential.

Whether it's all one giant PR stunt is irrelevant; the fact that he's openly flirting with the idea at all is hugely disrespectful towards MMA. He's essentially acknowledging to the world that his own sport is inferior and small time in comparison to another one.

Nobody on this board is a bigger Conor fan than myself but he has absolutely zero respect for this sport. His casual fans have absolutely zero respect for this sport. I almost long for the day when he does leave so we can return to something that at least closely resembles a real sport.
I dont realy care about MMA in terms of sport. Im a martial artist and I watch it to see what the best are doing. Ive learned so much by watching guys like GSP and Conor. I will always watch the UFC because it continues to showcase the best martial artists in the world. Conor is bigger than MMA and thats why he stands out among everyone in the UFC. His charisma and passion for success transcends what the UFC has to offer him. If I were him, I would live of my fame for the next few years and never fight again.

They are two different sports, but they are related.

There is clearly more money in boxing if you have a name, I have no problem saying that.

MMA is just better as far as real fighting is concerned. I happen to enjoy some MMA much more.

Lately though, MMA is on par with boxing as far as there being no name people and boring fights.

I miss the nhb days.

Conor is greedy. He will make the sport look bad that made him rich and famous. Only to get even more rich and famous.

The boxing world will laugh about MMA and so will most casuals if the fight happens. Floyd would annihilate him.

Conor would get richer and MMA would take a big hit. I wouldn't be surprised if the negative effect would be bigger than the positive one Conor had on MMA.

And all the talk about how Conor would win a real fight and such would be just talk and nobody would really give a damn.

Him talking bullshit about fighting Floyd, as if he stood any chance, actually elevates the sport.

Him actually getting into the ring with Floyd and being made to look worse than Gatti is what would seriously hurt the sport. It's the reason why the UFC will never allow it. The 10-20 mil cut they would earn would be peanuts compared to the loss of prestige caused by the inevitable result: Conor made to look like a bum and getting brutally finished inside 3.

Back