If UFC had a 145 division in 2006...

ReturnoftheKing

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
BJ would have been a three division champ. Not simultaneously, but he'd already held the WW belt, and was about to win the LW belt at that time.

Anyone disagree?

bj-header-localhawaiimag-roald.jpg

I agree he could have beaten anyone at 145 at the time. I disagree he would have because 2006 BJ really didn't like weight cutting or being disciplined. And at the time, there was no need to since he was the best LW in the world, certainly at least in the UFC.

Faber was the best there was at that point.

Kid wasn't an injured mess either.

Hard to say if BJ would have won those fights.

Aldo destroys any version of BJ.

wonder how faber and aldo would go plus see mendes being like sherk vs penn

But there wasn't a FW division in 2006......ok ok that was a dick comment.

Agree that BJ, if he were to cut down, would have been a three division champ.

Faber was the best there was at that point.

Kid wasn't an injured mess either.

Hard to say if BJ would have won those fights.
Hard to argue that. I think people forget about him because he was WEC.
The real question is how good would MM be if the UFC left WEC untouched? They really marketed the lower weight classes well.

Waiting for Conor fans to chime in. Conor fans were probably 6 years old at the time of 2006, non existent.

BJ would've been a 3 time yup.

Honestly if they had a 145 weight class in 06 besides Faber, BJ and Jens being the first obvious choices for people to make noise in think Leonard Garcia and Matt Serra would have tried their hand at it.

Eventually though Aldo comes around and stomps everyone.

The thing most impressive about Penn is that he is a legitimate 145er who was champ at 155 and 170, not a dude who was a natural 155er who somehow managed to make the cut to 145 by nearly killing himself. Honourable mention for Henderson, who was champ in his actual weight class and one above him. Also Couture, who was a 2 division champ, but not at the same time.

I agree he could have beaten anyone at 145 at the time. I disagree he would have because 2006 BJ really didn't like weight cutting or being disciplined. And at the time, there was no need to since he was the best LW in the world, certainly at least in the UFC.
This is probably true. BJ would have made easy work of Faber. I like Faber, but he had absolutely nothing for BJ. He wouldn't be able to get it to the ground, and BJ would have mauled him on the feet. It would have been easier than the Sherk fight, which was a cakewalk.

But this is the same BJ that fought Hughes, GSP, and Lyoto, and talked about fighting Anderson. Hell, he talked about fighting Timmeh at HW. This is the same BJ who fired Marinovich because BJ didn't want to work that hard. Something tells me he wouldn't have any interest in moving down in weight.

Honestly, BJ's 2-division accomplishment is something we may never see again. To be the GOAT in one division and destroy the then-GOAT at the higher division is crazy to think about. Especially considering the fact that he wasn't a big LW to begin with.

Back