Deron Williams (NBA level athlete) opens MMA gym, plans to fight

CasterMard

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Mavericks point guard Deron Williams is obsessed with mixed martial arts.

"I don't miss fights," he said. "Every UFC fight, Fight Pass, if I miss them, I'll record them and watch them later."

Now, Williams is taking his obsession to the next level, partnering to develop a new gym in Deep Ellum named Fortis MMA. It's not simply an investment to watch others work out, grapple or punch. Williams would like to compete when his NBA career is over.

"I think it would be realistic," he said. My coach "wants me to fight [in the cage]. I don't know about that. I will do some jiu-jitsu grappling tournaments."

Williams, 32, is in the twilight of a basketball career plagued by injuries. His last team, the Brooklyn Nets, bought out his contract. The 6-3, 200-pound Williams recently re-signed with the Mavericks on a one-year, $9-million deal.

Williams, who has played in only eight of the Mavericks' first 16 games this season because of injuries, says the MMA training helps lessen the impact on his body.

"I can control my body better," Williams said. "I can hit the bag, with very little movement and do some light rolling and get a great workout and learn and drill. That's what I love about it. ... My body has taken a pounding from running on the court."

But he isn't allowed to take a pounding in MMA yet.

"I don't think there is something specifically for MMA but there is language that could get you into trouble," Williams said about restrictions in his Mavericks contract. "You can't ride a motorcycle. You can't ski. If you got hurt playing football, you could definitely void your contract or face a fine."

Williams, who grew up in The Colony, wrestled from ages 5 to 13 and won youth state championships. He stopped wrestling because of conflicts with his basketball schedule.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...ron-williams-opens-mma-gym-dallas-plans-fight

all his opponents will have to do is touch his ankles or knees. He's injured so often, I don't know how he'd make it through a fight camp.

Deron is washed up by NBA standards.

Would not be surprised if he won the belt.

That's crazy I always thought that premier NBA players have the best bodies and athletics for MMA. Whats even crazier is that I specifically remember thinking that Williams had the perfect build for fighting.

They have great footwork, speed, endurance, jumping ability, hand eye coordination and long limbs. imagine someone like Jon Jones but even more athletic. Imagine a flying knee from someone who can leap like this and has been training their whole life.

71ytmRdg0%2BL._SX450_.jpg

Unfortunately what happened to his career. He was really a great talent but he could just never stay healthy. The way he looks now, you would swear he's 42, not 32

all his opponents will have to do is touch his ankles or knees. He's injured so often, I don't know how he'd make it through a fight camp.

That's no problem, he'll do his final pre-fight prep at AKA, where he won't get hurt.

Man, I remember this dude in his prime. Him and Boozer in Utah were putting up crazy numbers and winning a ton of games. Being a Lakers fan, I watched him a ton.

Had no idea he is so into MMA. That's awesome.

Remember when people said he was better than Chris Paul

One year, nine million dollar deal.

Yeah, MMA seems like a great idea.

overrated AF. Good in Utah when he didn't have to play with any other good players and then the Nets overpaying ass did what they do, give a bunch of money to an injury prone or bad player. Gotta love the Nets.

It's great that Martial Arts is so mainstream now.

He's a mental midget though.

On his stint with the Brooklyn Nets and the bright lights:

"It’s cool. There’s a lot of people, I guess, who aren’t built for New York," Williams told Yahoo. "New York is not for everybody."

Making excuses for his poor play:

"I wish I wouldn’t have been hurt. I wish I would’ve played better and people didn’t feel like I was just stealing money. That’s the last thing I want people to feel like," Williams told Yahoo. "It didn’t work out the way anybody had hoped."

It's a great setup he have there.
But I'm not sure about his current skill level ,I mean how long would it
take for him to become relevant ? I guess now he is like CM punk for the HW division.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back