24 cards a year; a better idea ?

The Sausage King

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The UFC had 35 cards in 2016. If they cut down to 24, I feel it would have more stacked cards and give us no more than two weeks before a card.

There's no need to waste a PPV/FOX level fight on a fight night card. If every month you did one PPV level card, and one Fight Night card with up and comers, it would keep us full and have better quality cards.

257.gif

at 24 fights a year with 12 on a card would need 576 fighters. the UFC roster has 400+ fighters so with only 24 events most fighters would not get a chance to fight multiple times a year by simple math.

I would be ok with that. I want some of my Sat nights free haha, but not too many. 1 on 1 off would be perfect, with the benefits you already outlined (more stacked cards). This last card and next weekend are probably the only ones I'll skip in years (although I tuned in for the main fight).

Don't you remember 4.2 billon was paid?

New ownership is going to put on over 50 fight shows a year until profit is made.

If they would cut down to 24 cards a year, I would want them to go after all the top fighters outside the UFC and get rid of some of the so-so fighters. Make sure they really have at least all of the top 15-20 fighters in the world of each division at all times. Get guys like Mike Chandler, David Branch, Mamed Khalidov, Vitaly Minakov hell even Phil Davis and Ben Askren etc. all in the UFC. Otherwise, the UFC will slowly lose position. Bellator already is signing most of the top wrestlers transitioning to MMA and is close to having just as many events a year as the UFC.

24 cards a year is the sweet spot IMO. 208 has been cancelled, 206 needs to be put on free TV otherwise it'll be the lowest grossing PPV possibly of all-time. You want a little build between events to actually get excited about them.

trust the process

they didnt have 36 events by accident

<{danayeah}>

Yes please. Last year was the first time I did not watch an event since 2003 or so when I started following MMA. Now, all of a sudden, I haven't watched the last three. Why the F would they run three events in 7 days and it's basically only one decent fight per card.

Mousasi-Hall 2, pointless fight, we knew Mousasi was the better fighter even if he lost the first time. Rest of the fights on that card I had no interest in. Bader-Nog 2, why? Who on earth thought Nog would win? Whittaker-Brunson, they were on a nice can crush streak but the card was a pile of shit. They could have taken these three main events and made ONE somewhat decent card (the two rematches were still crap).

The UFC needs to cut down on the number of events or re-sign all the talent that has left that actually hade some name value.

Back