How the lack of fighter pay is ruining the sport

welcometohavoc

Yellow Card
Yellow Card
Reaction score
Too often, especially lately, fighters (mostly champions but some contenders) have been holding out or outright refusing fights with legitimate challengers in favor of fights with people more likely to generate more money.

This is a direct result of shit fighter pay and why champions especially need a structured, guaranteed salary (on top of bonuses, and other earnings). At this point it is more lucrative for fighters to fight lesser opponents who will net them more money than it is to fight top contenders. A perfect example is Bisping/Hendo. Hendo had no business getting that title shot, but it was a big money fight for both men. Other examples are Alvarez/McGregor, Cruz/Garbrandt, and fighters like Mousasi and Woodley trying to get fights with Anderson, Diaz, and GSP instead of fighting top contenders.

Give fighters a decent paycheck and they will be more willing to fight better challengers

Disagree.

No matter what they are paid, they will hold out for the better fight.

It's human nature.

Disagree.

No matter what they are paid, they will hold out for the better fight.

It's human nature.

That's true there is nothing that will stop fighters from wanting more money. All I said is they will be MORE willing to fight the people they should be if they were paid better.

Guys used to want to fight to be the baddest. Now you've got guys like conor

Guys used to want to fight to be the baddest. Now you've got guys like conor

It's prizefighting, there have always been guys like Conor.

Guys who just wanted to be the baddest were pretty stupid.

People like you are the problem. You'd rather see people like Conor and Chael who are better at running their mouth than they are fighting. I don't blame the UFC really. They're just catering to idiot fans

So we're pretending there are champs who don't get a "decent paycheck"? Bisping/Hendo wasn't that big of a money fight, Bisping wanted it because fighting a 90 year old for a title defense is preferable because he can't legitimately beat any of the top 5.

Being recognized as the best is stupid? Welp on to WWE you go. Idiot.

This problem where the champion is fighting unranked, non top 5 contenders, or contenders from a different weight class is caused by the UFC.

They purposely set up the matches to protect the cash cow champions (e.g. Bisping, McGregor).

People like you are the problem. You'd rather see people like Conor and Chael who are better at running their mouth than they are fighting. I don't blame the UFC really. They're just catering to idiot fans

What exactly is a "person like me?"

let me use a random ufc fighter and i will prove you wrong
Conor-McGregor-Money.jpg

rs-224906-GettyImages-467716692_.jpg

Belts are pretty much meaningless if you don't have to climb your way up the ladder to fight for them, or if you don't even defend them.

The sport is not "being ruined". However, if you no longer enjoy it, then stop watching.

Guys like Conor, Aldo, and the Diaz bros are breaking the mold. They are starting to demand for big money and they're getting it with the help of the fans in all honesty.

I'm for fighters getting paid more and think big time fights should equal big time money for the guys who actually make it happen.

Too often, especially lately, fighters (mostly champions but some contenders) have been holding out or outright refusing fights with legitimate challengers in favor of fights with people more likely to generate more money.

This is a direct result of shit fighter pay and why champions especially need a structured, guaranteed salary (on top of bonuses, and other earnings). At this point it is more lucrative for fighters to fight lesser opponents who will net them more money than it is to fight top contenders. A perfect example is Bisping/Hendo. Hendo had no business getting that title shot, but it was a big money fight for both men. Other examples are Alvarez/McGregor, Cruz/Garbrandt, and fighters like Mousasi and Woodley trying to get fights with Anderson, Diaz, and GSP instead of fighting top contenders.

Give fighters a decent paycheck and they will be more willing to fight better challengers

Not a chance...

This isn't a team sport driven by seasonal results and or playoff results. This sport is driven by Individuals and how much revenue can be created in a particular night, within reason.

Records/rankings still matter, but when there is an opportunity to create exponentially more revenue, it is taken. and I'm all for that.

You're just a Dana drone, Conor sheep, UFC noob etc.

Back