Just Rewatched McGregor vs Mendes

RichardN7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Before I begin, I am a McGregor fan, but I am completely unbiased when it comes to fighting skill. I am very hyped for UFC 205 and the Conor vs Eddie bout. Eddie will be McGregor's toughest opponent without a doubt, though I do feel Chad (despite being a FW) was both a better striker and a better wrestler than Alvarez. I cannot pick who wins this fight. My heart says 100% McGregor, my brain says it's a coin toss.

Anyway, on to the business at hand:
The Mendes fight was the first challenge McGregor faced inside the Octagon, as he'd made easy work of his previous opponents. What surprised me, however, wasn't Mendes' takedowns, as Conor stuffed about half of them, but his STRIKING. Chad, like many wrestlers, has a dangerous overhand right, but is also pretty technical and very explosive, which makes him a force to be reckoned with on the feet. What I found unbelievable was how easily he as able to find Conor's chin, it's as if Conor himself was taken by surprise by Chad's speed.
I don't feel like posting GIFs, if you find any, feel free to post them, otherwise just rewatch the fight. Pay attention to how Mendes would just dip his head below the left cross and wing a right hook followed by a left hook or uppercut. This caught McGregor multiple times and actually managed to beat him to the punch multiple times.

Do you think Eddie is capable of doing the same? Do you think Conor has improved since then? Is Mendes' striking and coaching by Duane Ludwig underrated? Why was an elite (especially by MMA standards) boxer like Conor caught so many times by a wrestler with two weeks' worth of training?
Discuss guys, and if I hear PlatinumBless again I'm killing someone... xD

Remember that Chad dropped and turned Aldo's face into mince meat. Chad is a better fighter than Alvarez p4p.

Is this a joke? Mendes got about 2 clean shots in when they were standing

Post GIFS to prove me otherwise

First page shaping up so far as a good example of why Sherdog isn't actually for conversations about MMA.

He prob landed less than 10 clean punches standing in 2 full rounds. Chad is fast, and a few times McGregor seemed to let him hit him almost. Had his hands completely at his sides.

Before I begin, I am a McGregor fan, but I am completely unbiased when it comes to fighting skill. I am very hyped for UFC 205 and the Conor vs Eddie bout. Eddie will be McGregor's toughest opponent without a doubt, though I do feel Chad (despite being a FW) was both a better striker and a better wrestler than Alvarez. I cannot pick who wins this fight. My heart says 100% McGregor, my brain says it's a coin toss.

Anyway, on to the business at hand:
The Mendes fight was the first challenge McGregor faced inside the Octagon, as he'd made easy work of his previous opponents. What surprised me, however, wasn't Mendes' takedowns, as Conor stuffed about half of them, but his STRIKING. Chad, like many wrestlers, has a dangerous overhand right, but is also pretty technical and very explosive, which makes him a force to be reckoned with on the feet. What I found unbelievable was how easily he as able to find Conor's chin, it's as if Conor himself was taken by surprise by Chad's speed.
I don't feel like posting GIFs, if you find any, feel free to post them, otherwise just rewatch the fight. Pay attention to how Mendes would just dip his head below the left cross and wing a right hook followed by a left hook or uppercut. This caught McGregor multiple times and actually managed to beat him to the punch multiple times.

Do you think Eddie is capable of doing the same? Do you think Conor has improved since then? Is Mendes' striking and coaching by Duane Ludwig underrated? Why was an elite (especially by MMA standards) boxer like Conor caught so many times by a wrestler with two weeks' worth of training?
Discuss guys, and if I hear PlatinumBless again I'm killing someone... xD

PlatinumBless

But seriously I really wish we could have seen Mendes on a full camp. He was winning the standup and ground game before he gassed.

"The UN-trained eye cant understamd the brilliance of Conor McGregor"

You Conor haters just dont know what the fuck you are watching

This is what was actually happening IN REALITY

SoftGleefulCottontail.gif

Conor was slipping, rolling, deflecting the VAST MAJORITY of Mendes' standing strikes

Joe Rogan's commentary was atroucious. He would bust a nut every time Mendes even threw a punch regardless if it landed or not

"Conor rocked" yet Conor rolls the punch

That also swayed

Watch the fight on mute. Conor OUT CLASSED Mendes

Its funny, Mendes HIT ALDO FAR FAR MORE, yet you dont dont hear shit about Aldo having bad defense or that his striking was exposed

Anderson was KOd for fucks sakes yet you newbs still worship his shitty boxing/defense

Yet Conor gets HIT one time, a RARE exception, and all the sudden "exposed/bad defense"

Again, 99% of you so called "MMA fans" dont know what the fuck you are watching

The double standards against Conor are sickening (Def has to do with racisim too)

BUT I guess the fact that you people hold Conor to these impossible standards only shows how deep down inside you KNOW Conor is THE REAL GOAT

If you think Mendes has better striking than Alvarez then you're going to be surprised.

Back