What's more likely Cody by decision, or Dom by Finish

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
I'm thinking Dominick Cruz has a decent chance to finish Cody Garbradnt

I give Garbrandt an outside chance in the early rounds, dudes' legitimately a great athlete (Chad Mendes level freak), extremely fast, decent footwork and a wrestling background. I wouldn't be surprised to see him catch Dom early, and even if he doesn't I think it's likely he could win the first round. Dominck Cruz is a great fighter and tactician, but he's the type of dude (like a smarter Condit) who is going to throw every feint he has in his arsenal at you and try to figure out what you like/don't like and he's going to exploit it down the stretch. I think Cody may surprise him early on, and I think Cody has the composure not to be too frustrated if he can't land cleanly early (like TJ was). In that regard I think it's a slim but not insignificant possiblity that Cody could win a close decision, something like 1,2 4 or 5 if his power and speed hold up over time

On the other side, Cody has never really been pushed in the UFC cardio and pace wise and Dominick is going to push him. I expect Cruz to fight similarly to the DJ fight, where he realizes he might be the slower guy in the ring (rare for him) and exploits his size and wrestling (he's probably not significantly bigger than Cody, but I think he'll be a little bigger come fight night) to equalize and push Cody. From that angle I wouldn't be surprised to see Dominick exploit openings in scrambles if Cody slows and we've seen in the Mizugaki fight that he will pounce if he sees blood in the water. I also think Dominick is improving, which is probably the most impressive part of his game, despite his age (a time when many guys are finished products) I saw a greater use of straight punches in both his fights with Uriah and TJ and I think that he has a sneaky straight right. For all the shit he gets for not finishing: Faber has a great chin, TJ was in there the whole fight, DJ is a freak of nature, Joey Benz has only been finished by DJ and Scott Jorgenson is tough as fuck (or at least was)

Which is more likely Sherdog?

Dom by finish or No Love getting the judges nod?

Cody by KO. Don't over think it

No one's getting the nod against someone who sits at the Fox table. That's the only reason Cruise has the belt.

Dom by finish. There's no way Cody's gonna outscore Dom, unless he gets a couple knockdowns.

Pssssh, beats the fuck outta' me.

Cody by KO. Don't over think it
Dom has never been legitimately hurt in his career, at least not to my memory. He's been stumbled a couple times, but in most cases his feet are out of position and he loses his balance. He ate headkicks from TJ and walked through them. Dudes chin is legit.

I'll also add that correctly or not, Dom doesn't always 50-45 guys. Faber (the second, not the third time), DJ, Benavidez, and TJ all took rounds off of him.

Despite the narrative (stupidly I might add) being "Lol Dom by decision or Cody by early KO" fights are deeper than that, and I think this matchup might show that.

I think Cody is going to learn real fast that Cruz is on another level.

Obviously neither are likely which is why you posed the question. I don't think Cody has any shot at out pointing Dom over 5 rounds. If I had to pick 1 it's more likely that Dom finishes Cody. That pains me to say it as a Dom hater.

Cody is too green for Dom and it will show. Cruz will run circles around him and win 50-45.

Should've kept building Garbrandt up for another year or so.

Obviously neither are likely which is why you posed the question. I don't think Cody has any shot at out pointing Dom over 5 rounds. If I had to pick 1 it's more likely that Dom finishes Cody. That pains me to say it as a Dom hater.

I'm with you (down to being a Dom hater).
I could see Dom catching Cody with a knee or punch in a scramble, getting on top and voluming him to death
Dude had DJ mounted (I think, might be combining two fights in my head) and might have gotten a finish with more time

Cody is too green for Dom and it will show. Cruz will run circles around him and win 50-45.

Should've kept building Garbrandt up for another year or so.
Fully agree. I'm confused as to why Garbrandt's "fans" (bullshit) want this fight. Cody seems like a very legit talent - this fight oozes too much too soon for me. I'd love to have seen him fight a tough tactician like Rivera first to test his fight IQ or a brawler like Lineker to test his stamina and grit first. Cody is making the right decision by taking the fight/calling for it - but the UFC is making a mistake. They could be killing a future star.
Of course he could win, or he could come back better from a loss - but lots of guys climb the mountain, lose and never look the same.

EASILY Dom by finish. C'mon man, do better....

EASILY Dom by finish. C'mon man, do better....
Eh. I don't think it's really that bad of a question
Fights are scored round by round
If you're a person that believes that Cody could catch Dominick Cruz - is it outside of the realm of possibility that he could catch him twice? What if he catches him in three separate rounds? What if his cardio is extremely good and he keeps it competitive down the stretch?

Think deeper on the fight than just what seems MOST likely. Sure, by far if Cody wins it'll probably be by stoppage - but if I believe that to be true, it's possible that he could hurt Dom early and Dom might not recover but might hang on and survive.

Like I said before, matchups are deeper than whatever the popular narrative is. We see all the time "its one guy by KO or the other down the stretch" - it doesn't always work like that

Cruise by decision or Cody by finish is more like it....

Eh. I don't think it's really that bad of a question
Fights are scored round by round
If you're a person that believes that Cody could catch Dominick Cruz - is it outside of the realm of possibility that he could catch him twice? What if he catches him in three separate rounds? What if his cardio is extremely good and he keeps it competitive down the stretch?

Think deeper on the fight than just what seems MOST likely. Sure, by far if Cody wins it'll probably be by stoppage - but if I believe that to be true, it's possible that he could hurt Dom early and Dom might not recover but might hang on and survive.

Like I said before, matchups are deeper than whatever the popular narrative is. We see all the time "its one guy by KO or the other down the stretch" - it doesn't always work like that

You've converted me then. You did ask which is MORE likely, but you're right they can both reasonably occur.

But I'm not changing my choice of answer....

You've converted me then. You did ask which is MORE likely, but you're right they can both reasonably occur.

But I'm not changing my choice of answer....
I agree with your pick though
[<cena1}

Garbrandt by decision is 0%. Cruz by finish, I'd say 50/50.

Dom by Finish, there is no way Cody outpoints Dom, his chances of winning are from a KO.

cruz finish, could see a sub since cruz can pretty much outwrestle anyone in that division.

don't care who you are, you're not outpointing dom.

Back