Does it worry you when a fighter doesn't want to trash talk?

Davey Crockett

Mane, Firmino, Salah
Banned
Reaction score
In the modern age of massive PPV sales, the need for hyping the build up for events is more prominent than ever. Talking shit about your opponent isn't even personal anymore and it takes someone extremely sharp of wit to make it so. Does this mean that someone who is reluctant to talk trash, given that it's only beneficial, can be seen as them being timid or afraid?

I remember in the build up to Dillashaw v Cruz, Dominick was saying something along those lines trying to draw out some personality from TJ - that he was afraid to state what he was going to do because he didn't want to be proven wrong.
Obviously it's not for everyone to pretend you don't respect someone that you actually do, but if you want to get paid these days you have to make noise.

There's plenty of guys that have been successful and never needed to trash talk their opponents.

Shogun
Machida
GSP
Maia
Hunto (pre-Brock)

To name a few.

It depends, if it used to be their MO and suddenly stop I find it suspicious.

Yes that and also the crisis in Syria is a bit worrying.

In the modern age of massive PPV sales, the need for hyping the build up for events is more prominent than ever. Talking shit about your opponent isn't even personal anymore and it takes someone extremely sharp of wit to make it so. Does this mean that someone who is reluctant to talk trash, given that it's only beneficial, can be seen as them being timid or afraid?

I remember in the build up to Dillashaw v Cruz, Dominick was saying something along those lines trying to draw out some personality from TJ - that he was afraid to state what he was going to do because he didn't want to be proven wrong.
Obviously it's not for everyone to pretend you don't respect someone that you actually do, but if you want to get paid these days you have to make noise.
yes it does. Those that don't (GSP), don't because they are genuinely good people and is comes across that way.

TJ is a overconfident jock that is trying to stay composed. You can see him containing the rage against Cruz and saying "whatever man" when in actual fact he wants to explode and mouth off. I'm not sure why he doesn't. He was going on about being a role model etc. But how can you if no one remembers you?!

He's a heel. Embrace it, before your career is over and you've made next to no money. He should be calling out Cruz, MM, Dodson, Conor, Faber, Cody...everyone. He's got an exciting style and he would crush a tonne of fighters. I should be his PR manager. I could make him a star.

Some fighters embrace the "martial arts" aspect of "mixed martial arts."

Then there's some that appeal to the children that enjoy staged displays, soundbites and story lines, because, hey, they buy PPVs too.

There's plenty of guys that have been successful and never needed to trash talk their opponents.

Shogun
Machida
GSP
Maia
Hunto (pre-Brock)

To name a few.

Chuck was the biggest star of the UFC as it was breaking into the mainstream and he was never a big trash talker.

I couldn't care less if someone is willing to talk trash. As a matter of fact, some of my favorite fighters don't have to talk trash. They just back it up in the octagon.

Then there's some that appeal to the children that enjoy staged displays, soundbites and story lines, because, hey, they buy PPVs too.

They don't call it Mixed Martial Twitter for no reason, bruh.

Come on man, the same bushido spirit that has them signing their lives away for 10k a fight? That's old news.

Rumble is timid and afraid for not willing to trash talk...

<31>
He does trash talk though. He speaks his opinion and openly states he's going to beat DC. I was thinking more about Kowalcievicz, but obviously my opinion is formed by many variables and not just that.

When I like someone I would be. Because there are some fighters who never talk shit about anyone. When they do, it means they are not confident.

Look at Cerrone, a fighter I like. The moment he started to talk shit to RDA, I know he was going to lose. Before the RDA fight, Pettis was the last dude Cerrone did talk shit. Who knows what Cerrone said after losing to Pettis, knows what I'm talking about.

I can tell the dude is fighting Conor right now isn't confident. He never does talk shit. However, that is all he does when talking about Conor.

If Conor stop doing his thing I would be like, fuck he is going to lose too.

Does this mean that someone who is reluctant to talk trash, given that it's only beneficial, can be seen as them being timid or afraid?

If someone who's not been in the habit of talking trash suddenly starts to...can that be seen as them being desperate?

Fear of being left behind if you don't act contrary to your nature is understandable when your paycheck's on the line. But it's still fear.

Back