Axii's Take on UFC 205 (Main Card Only)

AxiiDentaL

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
First off, I would like to re-introduce myself to the Sherdog Forums, I've been gone for a while due to college, work, and family issues. Hopefully I'm back to make frequent posts that you guys will enjoy! :) Here we go :) I am Kyle, a currently enrolled student at a local Community College here in Maryland. I am a big WWE, NFL, UFC, NBA, MMA, video game fan. I enjoy writing up reviews of the upcoming shows and events, and giving my two cents for those that will take the time to read it. I apologize that I failed to introduce myself to you guys, but I hope that you continue reading my content! Nonetheless, I am a 21 year old college kid that works at a Hat store in Ocean City, MD, trying to pay my way through this damn life!

Main Card Fight #1:

(1) Miesha Tate vs (8) Raquel Pennington

Miesha Tate is a fighter that I've been a fan of since she entered the UFC in 2013. Miesha Tate is not a renowned striker, she isn't a wrestler, but she is known for her heart, determination, and cardio. She's a constant warrior that always shows up for the fight. She's coming off a disappointing loss to current champion Amanda Nunes, but it seems like every time Miesha loses she is able to put together a string of wins followed by a title shot. Her opponent is no slouch, however. She's another grinder in the octagon, and she can score points while pressing the pace. This fight should be interesting, but if it goes the full three rounds, I see Miesha edging out the decision.

Main Card Fight #2:

(5) Kelvin Gastelum vs. (6) Donald Cerrone

Who doesn't love Donald Cerrone? The guy is always ready for a fight and has saved many cards when fighters pull out. Cowboy is easily one of the most entertaining fighters currently under a UFC contract, and he does not disappoint. He has managed to put together three solid finishes over the likes of Alex Oliveira, Patrick Cote, and Rick Story, and has made a case for a possible title run if he can find himself a victory over dangerous striker Kelvin Gastelum. Kelvin Gastelum is a guy that has made a career off of being the underdog, and UFC 205 is no different. There's no reason to believe that Gastelum would be favored over a guy like Cowboy, but that seems to be when he operates best. When his back is against the wall, the lights are on, and the odds are against him, he shines. Keys to victory for Gastelum are his heavy hands, pressing pace his ability to bite down on his mouth piece and sling shots. However, Cowboy is aware of the strength of Kelvin, and will likely keep the fighter at bay. Donald will look to land body shots to slow down Gastelum, throw those unpredictable head kicks, and string together solid combinations to try and put Kelvin away. My final prediction is a third round knockout in the favor of Cowboy. Watch out Welterweight division!

Main Card Fight #3:

(2) Chris Weidman vs. (4)* Yoel Romero

If you're wondering what that asterisk is by Yoel Romero's ranking, it's because he was flagged for a USADA doping violation. Both of these guys haven't fought since Conor McGregor knocked out then-kingpin Jose Aldo in 14 seconds, at UFC 194, back in 2015. These guys fought on the same card, in which Chris Weidman was knocked out by Luke Rockhold leading to a loss of his title, and Yoel Romero won a decision over Ronaldo Souza. I expect ring rust to be a factor in this fight for both men, (Don't tell Dominick Cruz I said that) and I expect Chris to take Yoel down. Yoel Romero is a physically strong, monstrous man but Chris Weidman is definitely aware of his power and sheer toughness and will thus, avoid those heavy hands at all costs. Yoel Romero is a dangerous fighter, he can land a shot at any given second and he knows it only takes one big shot to put someone away. The problem with that, is Yoel tends to get punch drunk, sloppy and tired from attempting to chase guys down, cut corners and push the pace of the fight. All of the muscle that Yoel Romero packs comes with a price of cardio, and gas tank. If Chris Weidman can weather the storm of Romero, utilize head movement to dodge the heavy hands and take this fight to the ground, I see Weidman winning. All Yoel has to do though, is land one big shot. If we see the old Weidman, look out Bisping.

Main Card Fight #4:

(C) Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. (2) Karolina Kowalkiewicz

These girls both have lightning fast hands, pin point accuracy, and devastating head movement. This fight could steal the show, no exaggeration. I don't see either one of these girls trying to take the fight to the ground, and this bout will not leave the third round. Joanna is very mentally tough, and she packs a punch backed up by her kicks. Karolina however, is a wicked fast striker in her own right, and knows how to score points. I do not see Joanna being dethroned however, and this fight will definitely appeal to the fans that dislike the jiu-jitsu aspect of MMA. Joanna by knockout in the second.

Main Card Fight #5:

(C) Tyron Woodley vs. (2) Stephen Thompson

This is the fight I'm most excited for on the UFC 205 card. We have arguably, the most devastating puncher in the UFC, Tyron Woodley, taking on one of the most technically skilled, and flashy fighters, Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson, in a barn-burning fight for the ages. I've never seen someone knock guys out the way that Tyron Woodley has, and I think every single Welterweight fighter is aware of the power he possesses. Stephen Thompson possesses a very difficult challenge for Tyron Woodley. Stephen is riding a seven fight winning streak, where he's knocked out 4 of the 7 opponents, 3 of which in the first round. Tyron Woodley has won 4 of his last 5 by knockout. However, we've seen Tyron Woodley gas later in fights. Again, that comes as a result of the muscle that Tyron packs on his body, which limits his cardio in his fights. This fight will be a sure Fight of the Night Award, and the keys to victory for each are as follows: 1) Tyron Woodley needs to finish the fight early, if he hopes to retain. He needs to push the pace and make Stephen feel uncomfortable in the octagon. He cannot let Stephen establish his footwork, head movement, and combinations. Failure to do so, will be the end of his title reign. 2) Stephen Thompson needs to be careful of pushing his combinations too far. If Stephen lands a combination that rocks Tyron, but doesn't floor him, I would advise against pushing forward searching for the highlight reel knockout. Reason being, is Tyron can land a counter punch better than anyone in MMA today, and when he connects, it's bone-shattering. I would advise Stephen to clinch Tyron, land some knees to the legs and body, stomp the feet, and finish with a knee to the face. Tyron is an extremely strong wrestler as well, so Stephen needs to be aware of that, though I do not see Tyron attempting a take down with Stephen's Jiu-Jitsu expertise. Nonetheless, I digress, we have a new champion ladies and gentlemen. #AndNew

Main Card Fight #6:

(C) Eddie Alvarez vs. (C) Conor McGregor

O-M-G. This is the moment, UFC fans, watching around the world, have been waiting for. LIVE, from the sold-out, Madison Square Garden Arena in Manhattan... IT'S TIME!! 5 ROUNDS, FOR THE UNDISPUTED, UFC LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD! Alright, I had to get my Bruce Buffer on there. Anyhow, Conor McGregor is the most polarizing figure in the Mixed Martial Arts world, today. There is no denying his success. From promos to world tours, this guy has changed the way fights are fought, paid, and awarded. Though, his opponent is no joke. Eddie's only loss came at the hands of Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone at UFC 178, by a unanimous decision, and it was his UFC debut. His most recent victory came by way of TKO over the then-champion, Rafael Dos Anjos (RDA). Eddie is a seasoned veteran when it comes to wrestling, and Conor has been proven to have a weak ground game. Chad Mendes exposes Conor's weakness, and proved what everyone thought. When Conor gets taken down, he is like a turtle on it's shell, and I think I speak for everyone when I say we know what Eddie's game plan is. More than likely he's going to make this a grinding clinch and take down clinic, and if it goes his way, he will either win via unanimous decision, or ground-and-pound Conor's lights out. Conor needs to do everything in his power to keep Eddie off of him, and keep him at striking distance. Conor is a master at footwork, wheel kicks and punch combinations. Not to mention, Conor's mind games are the best in the company. I would compare his mind games to Anderson Silva-esque, because much like the Spider, Conor can change a fighter's game plan with words. Anderson was notorious for talking people out of their game plan, kind of like Jordan when he was on the court. If Conor makes this fight a stand up war, I expect another TKO victory in the Notorious One's favor. Personally, I'm questioning Conor's gas tank. He looked gassed in the second round of his Nate Diaz II fight, of course he was fighting at 170, but being a veteran like McGregor, shouldn't matter. If Conor can preserve his energy I could see this fight going into the fourth or fifth round, but I do not question that there will be a stoppage. This fight could play out so many different ways, but with McGregor the current favorite in betting odds, I expect that number to rise, and rightfully so. Conor takes this fight via TKO in the fourth, and makes history becoming the first person to hold two belts in two divisions, and then drops one.

All in All UFC 205 will be the highest grossed PPV, with the most PPV buys and with MSG capping out at 18,200 people, it will be a loud night of crazy, exciting fights. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this review, and if I have anything wrong or incorrectly stated, do not hesitate to correct me!

Sherdog MMA Community, I need YOUR feedback. What do YOU think will happen at UFC 205? Let the Discussion Start Now!

Last edited:
ryh89Vx.gif

You said you were gonna reintroduce yourself but you never did

I was also disappointed in the fact that you failed to reintroduce yourself. Thanks for nothing.

Your post looks like a teen girl's myspace page from 2006.

You said you were gonna reintroduce yourself but you never did
Didn't know if people wanted to actually read that. Here we go :) I am Kyle, a currently enrolled student at a local Community College here in Maryland. I am a big WWE, NFL, UFC, NBA, MMA, video game fan. I enjoy writing up reviews of the upcoming shows and events, and giving my two cents for those that will take the time to read it. I apologize that I failed to introduce myself to you guys, but I hope that you continue reading my content! Nonetheless, I am a 21 year old college kid that works at a Hat store in Ocean City, MD, trying to pay my way through this damn life!

Your post looks like a teen girl's myspace page from 2006.
Thanks for the feedback! Care to share your thoughts on something relevant to the topic? Never judge a book by its cover, Melvin. Maybe clear your browsing history after that last comment. I'd like to know your opinion of UFC 205 though.

:) I am Kyle, a currently enrolled student at a local Community College here in Maryland. I am a big WWE fan!
No wonder you picked Conor to win.

I actually read that whole thing and agree with most of you predictions.

Also look Thomas and Tyron call you racist for the cardio comments.

No wonder you picked Conor to win.

I actually read that whole thing and agree with most of you predictions.

Also look Thomas and Tyron call you racist for the cardio comments.
Which did you not agree with? I'm curious to know your opinion!

Which did you not agree with? I'm curious to know your opinion!
Alvarez is going to make Conor look like cm punk. And you didn't necessarily pick in the Weidman yolo fight but I'm leaning towards teh Chris

Thanks for the feedback! Care to share your thoughts on something relevant to the topic? Never judge a book by its cover, Melvin. Maybe clear your browsing history after that last comment. I'd like to know your opinion of UFC 205 though.

Sorry dad.

"Axils take"- by Axil

reminds me of Seinfeld...

"Jimmy had a good game today"

Colours, strange font choice, pretty much like my book reports when I was 10/12...

cliffs after reintroduction without a reintroduction paragraph please.

Christ on a hand car...

Who the fuck are you ? And why would I give a fiddler's fuck about your take ?

Third person dipshit...

The guest gives zero fucks.

200w.gif

Back