Where do you rank Pettis as a sub artist?

BigMuffler

Loli is love loli is life!
@Steel
Reaction score
He doesn't have a ton of subs and is more known as a striker, but he has some VERY good ones over Bendo, Melendez and Oliveira (subbed the sub guy of 145!) Would you consider Pettis as one of the best current submission artists in the UFC, or no?

Really great at getting them. One of the best. He is easy to wrestle fuck though so his ground only looks great when he is fighting agressive people.

I'd like to see him not so gun shy and let his technique fly.

Submissive artist

When he decides to work his guard and try to snag necks in transitions he's damn good. I think he gets complacent, relying on kicks from distance. Which sucks bc when he's on, he's nabbed the scalps of Benson, giblert and Aloe Vera which is astounding if you think about it.

i rank him above Jared but somewhere below the girl at the subway by my work

I would have liked to see him and Lauzon on the ground but never happened.

I still cant believe he subbed Oliviera in the last roumnd while having a bad weight cut to deal with.

He's a solid submission guy when in MMA but I doubt he would do well in straight BJJ. I also think there's people that are a lot better than him like Maia, Jacare, Gunnar, etc.

not even close.

Guys like Maia, and Jacare are
Jacare and Maia are on some God tier shit so I can't hold that against him. For a tae kwon do dude his ground game is very effective. Most strikers can't even break down posture, don't hunt for sweeps, no framing etc.

His ground game is awesome for not being a bjj deity like Jac and Maia

He's a solid submission guy when in MMA but I doubt he would do well in straight BJJ. I also think there's people that are a lot better than him like Maia, Jacare, Gunnar, etc.

Maia and Jacare are both seasoned and both greats, but they have grapple fucked when they couldn't get the sub. Pettis ain't wrestle fucking shit. He rather stand and taekwondo and box dat arse up. Pettis has pulled off some slick shit.

Pettis does an excellent job of setting up submissions with his striking in the flow of a fight, just not sure how good is pure BJJ is.

He's elite in mma. He's not some bjj-wizard, but he's a top-shelf submission-artist who has never been tapped. His wins over Bendo and Oliviera are impressive, but, imo, tapping Melendez is his greatest feat.

Underrated. His guard game in particular. The armbar against Henderson was a work of art. Bendo is the same guy who escaped like 60 subs against Cowboy.

He's elite in mma. He's not some bjj-wizard, but he's a top-shelf submission-artist who has never been tapped. His wins over Bendo and Oliviera are impressive, but, imo, tapping Melendez is his greatest feat.
And he has more than one kill in his repertoire. Triangles, guillotines, armbars etc. He's a good as anyone who isn't a multi time world champ in pure bjj

not even close.

Guys like Maia, and Jacare are
He said ONE of the best SUBMISSION artists.... get the key words he's not asking who's the best jiu jitsu guy of course we all know who those are. There's a difference between pure grappling and being able to grab submissions out of nowhere.

Back