Short vid Dillashaw drill with Benavidez

KillerIsBack V2

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Better seeing all the shit ronda shadow boxing ya'll been spamming lately...

God, bang's philosophy or stance switching midstrike directly infront of your opponent seems so dangerous to me. When they're doing it slow it looks like they're doing it BEFORE they move back, not during the backwards shift (which is how it looks in a fight).

Makes me nervous

ggcxarexygqlhylbimm0.gif

Gd, bang's philosophy or stance switching midstrike directly infront of your opponent seems so dangerous to me. When they're doing it slow it looks like they're doing it BEFORE they move back, not during the backwards shift (which is how it looks in a fight).

Makes me nervous

I've noticed that too during Bangs instructionals for stance switching mid combo. That head stays right in place for a good counter puncher.

They bring the lead hand back to the power hand and then fire away with it again. Maybe they should incorporate a level change while they switch the lead hand back to power hand, but what do I know...

dan1.gif

tumblr_o15oreAtNc1u2ragso2_250.gif

Last edited:
I've noticed that too during Bangs instructionals for stance switching mid combo. That head stays right in place for a good counter puncher.

They bring the lead hand back to the power hand and then fire away with it again. Maybe they should incorporate a level change while they switch the lead hand back to power hand, but what do I know...

dan1.gif

tumblr_o15oreAtNc1u2ragso2_250.gif

Tyrone Spong likes to switch stances sometimes, but he always does it with a high guard, or generally after just attacking, and adding a check hook to close the angle.

It's just such a weird idea
I kind of hate the whole "Neofootwork" trend, because A) It's not really new it's just new to MMA, but nobody called it a "neojab" when people started jabbing properly in MMA and B) Not everyone can get away with it. Even Crus gets caught out of position alot of times.

I love TJ's style of fighting. Could watch TJ fight all day.

Tyrone Spong likes to switch stances sometimes, but he always does it with a high guard, or generally after just attacking, and adding a check hook to close the angle.

It's just such a weird idea
I kind of hate the whole "Neofootwork" trend, because A) It's not really new it's just new to MMA, but nobody called it a "neojab" when people started jabbing properly in MMA and B) Not everyone can get away with it. Even Crus gets caught out of position alot of times.

Spong is a different animal when it comes to striking, dudes a beast.

And the Neofootwork thing is getting a bit absurd BUT I have to disagree with the Cruz statement.

It works phenomenally well for for him for 2 reasons:

A) Cruz can improvise midcombo while switching stance and usually does if he sees an opening. Dude fires away from a neutral squared up stance similar to Rumbles instead of just firing away with the same default combos ala Dillishaw who just strikes with the same played out combos Bangs drilled into his head.

Cruz is an improvisor which is what makes his style unique.

tumblr_o1r85uhbSK1upwz95o1_400.gif

B) Cruz actually uses his stance switch to set up his WRESTLING, unlike Dillishaw who goes in there K-1 style spamming combos and doing a goofy mimic of Ali's foot shuffles.

WanThoroughKatydid.gif

cruz-takes-down-kicks-comp.gif

Seriously when will Sherdog realize that El Domin8or IS the #1P4P fighter in MMA????

Spong is a different animal when it comes to striking, dudes a beast.

And the Neofootwork thing is getting a bit absurd BUT I have to disagree with the Cruz statement.

It works phenomenally well for for him for 2 reasons:

A) Cruz can improvise midcombo while switching stance and usually does if he sees an opening. Dude fires away from a neutral squared up stance similar to Rumbles instead of just firing away with the same default combos ala Dillishaw who just strikes with the same played out combos Bangs drilled into his head.

Cruz is an improvisor which is what makes his style unique.

tumblr_o1r85uhbSK1upwz95o1_400.gif

B) Cruz actually uses his stance switch to set up his WRESTLING, unlike Dillishaw who goes in there K-1 style spamming combos and doing a goofy mimic of Ali's foot shuffles.

WanThoroughKatydid.gif

cruz-takes-down-kicks-comp.gif

Seriously when will Sherdog realize that El Domin8or IS the #1P4P fighter in MMA????

Great response.
Dom being able to improvise kinda proves my point. The neofootwork only works for certain fighters, lots of other dudes would get smashed trying to use it

As far as comparisons to TJ and Dillashaw, I don't find their styles that different but if I had to make a comparison it's just the mentality of the guys doing it. TJ's trying to win every moment of the fight, he's constantly trying to hit his opponent or strike, he wants to win every exchange and you can sometimes (especially early before he settles) see him get lost in trying to figure out what the big picture is. That's why it looks like he's regurgitating the same combinations over again because he'll try to force one to work because he's been drilled that way AND because he just wants to punch his opponent in the face and win whatever exchange happens to be going on.

Dom approaches fights from a big picture stand point. He also uses the same drilled moves over and over, he's said as much in interviews - he just has far more and his goal as a whole is to win the entire fight (or round as it were) so it helps him think a step or two ahead. If TJ has twenty moves or shifts that he likes, Dom has 25 - and if TJ can be counted on to repeat one of his twenty at least twice in a minute - Dom's probably only repeating the same sequence twice in a fight and never the exact one.

I see it as just a mentality thing. Dom's got good fight IQ and is focused on winning the fight, and trying to build offense intelligently and like you said he's good at improvising so once he finds a flow that works he'll exploit it in various ways. TJ's trying to win every exchange, so he tries 10 combinations in a row and once he finds three that work he'll go to the well for it over and over again. Plus TJ's a coaches fighter, Bang is basically playing a video game when TJ is in the ring. Cruz has got his own plan and builds it himself inside the round, where as TJ is getting new tips whenever he goes to the corner.

The dichotomy between the two leads to one of the most interesting style clashes in MMA history imo. First fight was dope as fuck, my fight of the year in all honesty. I'm hyped for the eventual rematch.

Back