UFC to decrease UFC events to 30 - Are you happy with this?

Are you happy the UFC plan to reduce the number or yearly UFC events from 42 to 30?

• Total voters

mattandbenny

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I know there has been threads on this but it would be interesting to have a poll on the matter.

So basically the new owners plan to reduce the number of UFC events to 30, essentially cutting a lot of the international cards out (Canada, Japan etc). This goes back to how it was in the 2011-2013 era. It is just the past 3 years the number of yearly events has sky rocketed to 40+.

Number of UFC events by year
2011: 27
2012: 32
2013: 33
2014: 47
2015: 41
2016: 42
2017: 30?

Is this reduction good thing?

Positives
More stacked cards

Negatives
Less fights
Reduction in roster - smaller divisions

Personally i am of the opinion that this sucks - the more cards the better. Even if it's a UFC Australia / Philippines card etc with little name value.

Yes.

too many bad prelims fight nowadays.

Quality not quantity. And get rid of WMMA, that shit is trash.

I think it is a good idea.
I recall the time where we could discuss cards with excitement.
Nowadays most of the cards are not even news, and are ignored, thinking ahead of one or two mega-cards that year.

I rather they make good cards from top to bottom than have too many cards no one cares about...

I guess It's alright. I understand the quality over quantity argument.

But I'm gonna miss a UFC event almost every weekend.

I like watching MMA.

Yes.

Just look at the Belfast and Brazil cards coming up in November, awful cards headlined by rematches no one wanted.

Good move.

Too many events, some with guys I could care less about at the top of the cards.

It was getting too watered down.

Since I like watching MMA I'm not too pleased with this. I also don't understand all the complainers saying that too much UFC makes watered down cards. If you don't want to watch all fights just watch the cards that you think are stacked enough. If they really want to have MMA as a legit main stream sport they need to have a lot events.

Not really. I rather have more events.
If there's only two good fights, I'll just watcu them.

I'd like to see the format change, but the number of cards expand.

Ideally, build a small arena that seats about 3000...have bi-weekly cards that have about 5 fights on them. Air this on fight pass or FS1, along with news/commentary/interviews...for shits and grins, we will call this show UFC Challengers.

If a guy wins a few fights on the Challengers series, he's promoted to air on regular Fox. We will call this show UFC Contenders. Win a fox fight or two, and you are promoted to PPV status.

If you lose a few PPV fights, you're downgraded to the contender status, drop a few there and you're back to a challenger, lose their and its back to the indie circuit for you.

I realize this is probably cost prohibitive, but the up and down method ensures that guys who might be out of their prime aren't getting eaten by every young lion and hanging around the UFC too long.

This will HOPEFULLY stop them from cancelling a card based on 1 injury. I know the term "watered down cards" has been thrown around ALOT, but hopefully this produces higher quality cards. Even though "you can't judge a card until it's over" people will disagree with that.

This is a good thing. I have Bellator and other orgs to fill the gaps in UFC events. I liked having all the cards, but some were absolutely abysmal on paper and you really didn't know anyone other than 1-2 of the main event guys/gals.

Buh bye manlets. Maybe MM can make all that coin he wanted on Broadway's Wizard of Oz.

Back