How well could UFC fighters transition into other sports, or dance?

souvlaki

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
After seeing the endless training that UFC fighters do working on footwork, movement and flexibility, I began to wonder how well top caliber UFC athletes would fare in other sports, or more interestingly dance.

The Irish line dancer Michael Flatley, for example, has incredible footwork. His Wikipedia states that,

In May 1989, Flatley set a Guinness Book world record for tapping speed at 28 taps per second, and subsequently broke his own record in 1998 with 35 taps per second.

Here is "The Lord of the Dance" Michael Flatley

flatley.jpg

Could then, a UFC champion such as Conor Mcgregor (and countryman to Flatley), with his great footwork and movement, reach the level of Michael Flatley in this discipline, or is Michael Flatley's record of "The Fastest Tapper in Ireland" safe?

Thoughts?

Probably not too well unless you consider construction, plumbing, janitorial work, etc to be sports

This would have got more replies had you not thrown "dance" in there.

Lol you don't usually end up a cage fighter when your good at other stuff.

I bet Nick Diaz would turn a mean pirouette.

Could then, a UFC champion such as Conor Mcgregor (and countryman to Flatley), with his great footwork and movement, reach the level of Michael Flatley in this discipline, or is Michael Flatley's record of "The Fastest Tapper in Ireland" safe?

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Well, Conor and Flatley are both "fancy boys", but as far as the rest of the roster goes, fighters want to fight! Probably have little interest in pursuing any other sport beyond the hobby level.

Chuck-Liddell.jpg

If Conor knows something, is how to tap...

love your AV TS

came for gifs of Chuck on Dancing With The Stars

willing to wait

Well I mean...

If buddeh can't skate. Hockey is out of the question. It really depends if they have skills that can be used in other sports.

But someone like Nate competes in pretty high level triathlons ( I believe they are high level, but I could be wrong ). So he must be competent in running, biking, and swimming. Aldo was supposedly good in soccer.

I think Demetrious Johnson would be an amazing running back if there were a football league with a 175 lb weight limit.

He would also be an amazing power forward in a basketball league with a 5'6" height limit.

His movement is very natural and technical, and he is extremely quick.

Sonnen is a superb break dancer.

+1 for Fastest Tapper in Ireland.

Back