Who currently has the most old school style?

BigMuffler

Loli is love loli is life!
@Steel
Reaction score
As in, which current fighter fights in a way that reminds you the most of an earlier era of MMA? I thought of Maia since he doesn't need striking to win and JDS since he considers himself to just be a 'boxing guy' but I'm going with Nelson after a bit more thought - just a big right hand in most of his fights. Hendo too but he's retired now. Who is the chief old school representative in your mind?

How about a guy who is oldschool and has been in the game for 19 years (!). None other than Josh "The Warmaster" Barnett!

Maia .

He make guys look stupid like Royce used to do.

Catch wrestling is as old school as you can get

Josh Barnett is a late 90s throwback

There are a few.

But I will say this: CONOR MGREGOR

I could watch his fights over and over. The guy comes to fight. Throws with venom the entire time. Not a single boring second in his fights.

If we're going real old-school, UFC 1 level old-school: having no combat background, rudimentary skill set, and bottom-of-the-barrel athleticism: CM Punk by a mile.

His career has likely just expired but Dan Henderson has an old school style. Try and land one heavy shot that's as old school as it get no?

If we're going real old-school, UFC 1 level old-school: having no combat background, rudimentary skill set, and bottom-of-the-barrel athleticism: CM Punk by a mile.

No Punk learned new skills...he just couldn't employ any in his fight!

old school tends to translate to 'one-dimensional'. i would say conor. only one skill and very good with it.

No Punk learned new skills...he just couldn't employ any in his fight!

I didn't say he didn't learn any skills, I said rudimentary. And that's being generous.

The sport is so young that skill-wise 'old school' really just means extremely one dimensional and/or terrible. (with a handful of exceptions, like Marco Ruas)

Even a guy like Conor is extremely well-rounded compared to the first generation of UFC fighters.

The second generation fighters, like Liddell, etc. already had a style very similar to the current champions, though (generally-speaking) fighters nowadays are even more well-rounded and fighting in a deeper talent pool.

But if by old-school you mean 'attitude' and 'how they came up', then the first that comes to mind is Jorge Masvidal.

The guy has done plenty of parking lot bare-knuckle fights, has fought all over, living that low paid nomad fighter lifestyle before he got signed to the UFC.

BJ Penn

HotAgreeableAmurratsnake.gif

Gotta be Maia. He basically IS Royce in 2016. Doesnt even bother to train standup and is literally doing nothing but walking across the cage, taking you down and submitting you. But yeah all the examples in the op are very good.

The sport is so young that skill-wise 'old school' really just means extremely one dimensional and/or terrible. (with a handful of exceptions, like Marco Ruas)

Even a guy like Conor is extremely well-rounded compared to the first generation of UFC fighters.

The second generation fighters, like Liddell, etc. already had a style very similar to the current champions, though (generally-speaking) fighters nowadays are even more well-rounded and fighting in a deeper talent pool.

But if by old-school you mean 'attitude' and 'how they came up', then the first that comes to mind is Jorge Masvidal.

The guy has done plenty of parking lot bare-knuckle fights, has fought all over, living that low paid nomad fighter lifestyle before he got signed to the UFC.
Wut? Masvidal was in strikeforce before UFC.

Back