Don't sleep on Cody Garbrandt

Platinum

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Lets forget the permanent turtle neck and the smug attitude.

This guy has legit knockout power, wrestling background, speed and athleticism and on top of that he trains with Faber who is very familiar with Cruz and has dropped him on a few occasions for the record.

A lot of people claimed that Thomas Almeida would run through him as well.. and what happened?

Cruz has a very unique and effective defensive fighting style, but he is still hittable and every fighter has certain tendencies. There is alot more footage on Cruz to study on than there is on Garbrandt. Cruz might also underestimate him based off on his attitude, which has been the downfall of many great fighters. I don't think that he is, but he might be, just like a lot of people in here do.

Garbrandt also has boxing background, so he knows the basics better and will avoid over extending and therefore will avoid giving Cruz the ability to get a takedown on him.

#WARBRANDT

Last edited:
Cruz doesn't get hit a lot. I suspect he will decisionate Garbrandt.

Lineker isn't getting through TJ if they do TJ/Lineker for the #1 contender fight though.

Lineker isn't getting through TJ if they do TJ/Lineker for the #1 contender fight though.
Agreed. TJ will pick him apart. He's a bad match up for Garbrandt imo, because he has similar knock out power and a much better chin and they both like to brawl.

Who's sleeping on NoLove?? Dom loses this in the first, and it's going to be bad.

Cody's tats and bro'ish style keeps people from giving him the credit he deserves.

Yeah ive been saying for a while he might KO cruz.

Cody's tats and bro'ish style keeps people from giving him the credit he deserves.
Agreed.
He is a bad match up for Dom imo.

People keep bringing up the TJ fight, but TJ isn't a power puncher. He uses his punches to set up a high kick most of the time.

Agreed. TJ will pick him apart. He's a bad match up for Garbrandt imo, because he has similar knock out power and a much better chin and they both like to brawl.
Yeah, it's a rough one for Garbrandt for sure but I think Garbrandt gets it done. I don't think it'll happen anytime soon though.

Agreed.
He is a bad match up for Dom imo.

People keep bringing up the TJ fight, but TJ isn't a power puncher. He uses his punches to set up a high kick most of the time.

Agreed, he hit barao with the hardest shot he could and it still took a massive combination to put him down rounds later. You're not gonna stop Cruz with volume, you can't hit him enough.

im pulling for cody. But smart money says dom by decision. I do like ocdy's boxing and as you pointed out in the op, cody says his biggest strength where others have failed vs dom is that they overextend on their punches and its unwise to do that vs dom becasue his movement and counter attacks. COdy says he will stay tight and in the pocket and use his footwork to cut off angles and the big shot wil land.

Agreed, he hit barao with the hardest shot he could and it still took a massive combination to put him down rounds later. You're not gonna stop Cruz with volume, you can't hit him enough.
I know.
In my opinion it requires a power puncher with good combinations/feints, good wrestling and most of all speed to catch and beat Cruz. I could be wrong though.

I know.
In my opinion it requires a power puncher with good combinations/faints, good wrestling and most of all speed to catch and beat Cruz. I could be wrong though.

Cruz will be a tough fight for anyone, but I think Cody has the raw materials to win this fight, I just think he needs a couple more fights before he ready to challenge him.

Cruz will be a tough fight for anyone, but I think Cody has the raw materials to win this fight, I just think he needs a couple more fights before he ready to challenge him.
It would've been much better for him indeed, but some things are just meant to be. It could go like the TJ/Barao I story though in terms that the massive underdog could pull the upset.

IDK, Cruz has the ability to open his eyes. From what I've heard previously from Garbrandt's corner this could be trouble for him.

I'm not super impressed by him on film.
I'm going to have to go rewatch that fight that went the distance, but if memory serves dude only had two or three set ups (Same ones that he used for his last two KOs). He's got like three set ups that he goes to the well on over and over again.

No direspect, I think he's a great prospect and if this was a year or two later I'd be all for it. I just don't see it right now.

Hope I'm wrong. He's fast as fuck though, I think that gets lost in people talking about his power. A misstep by Cruz could have him on skates and he could pull the victory out his ass. But I just don't see it. Not right now.

Hope I'm wrong, War Cody fun as fuck to watch but this feels like too much too soon.

Cruz doesn't get hit a lot. I suspect he will decisionate Garbrandt.
Decisionate is a perfect description for what he does haha love it.
Hope cody catches him tho, kids got a shit attitude but sweet knockouts

I love this fight, could see Cruz taken through the trenches. I think he wins a decision but will have a head like GSP post Hendricks

Back