Diaz vs MacDonald, much different to how I remembered it...

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I randomly started watching old Nate Diaz fights the other day, and I literally just finished watching the Rory one.

My memory of this fight was a one-sided beatdown from Rory, with a whole load of German-Suplexes. I rewatched it and my god, that was not how the fight went at all...

Don't get me wrong, Rory won the fight, but it wasn't a 30-26 like 2 judges had it. You could even give Nate a round in this fight, and he actually statistically outstruck Rory 72-60.

Nate showed really good takedown defense for the majority of the fight. Fightmetric has Rory scored with a total of 7 takedowns, 3 of which were in the first 2 rounds - which I think is ludicrous. I don't even know what counts as a takedown anymore.

Rory is a huge Welterweight, and it just shows the difference weight classes make, and it's funny how everyone tries to call Nate a Welterweight in disguise. It really took until the 3rd round for there to be a noticable difference in class, Nate actually tried his own takedowns and cage work for the entire fight.

My point within the post is more so around how fights are so different when watching back. We've all watched thousands of fights, and trying to remember every detail is tough, so instead we come up with just a basic description of how it went. Everyone says "Rory threw Nate around", yes in the 3rd round - before that, it had been close. The idea there was a 10-8 in this fight is just astonishing to me.

Moral of the story - don't forget the fights, don't create your own narrative...

Nate-Diaz.jpg

You are correct.

Don't expect blind Diaz nuthuggers to agree though. I had money on Nate for the conor rematch and when I talk about how Nate is very clearly bigger than Conor, I get accused of being a fanboy

True TS, however the only part most remember is when Rory came on and demolished him. Nate held his own briefly and had a few notable moments.

True TS, however the only part most remember is when Rory came on and demolished him. Nate held his own briefly and had a few notable moments.
I just cannot understand how the first 13 minutes of this fight is irrelevant lol.

MMA fandom never fails to amaze me.

If I hit you more times than you hit me, it's at least close lol.

If I land 5 strikes and you land 14, it's not a 10-8 round.

These are simple details that are completely looked past.

Ppl hemember the slams but yeah outside that it wasnt a dominant performance or anything. Clear win for Hory tho, dont hemember any hounds going Nates way tho and none were 10-8, funny how dumbass judges are so inconsistent with that

also due to DHKs prefight trash talk ppl exaggerate that fight too. It came down to the 2nd hound, could give it to Nate or Dong or 10-10, very even fight

Rory was the clear cut winner and I don't remember anyone really saying Rory smoked Nate after the decision. It wasn't a question of who won though or even a close fight..

Yes i rewatched it before the conor nate 2 fight and the thing i took away was how well rory controlled the striking exchanges and that nate was looking for the takedown alot but rory was reversing him and took his back at one point if i remember correctly

Casuals get chubs for slams. A slam to a casual = 10-8 round atleast. I think this is because many come from WWE and the theatrics of it all influences the way they feel about a fight. The reality is that often the smallest punch can do the most damage while the big theatrical stuff inflicts little to no damage.

I randomly started watching old Nate Diaz fights the other day, and I literally just finished watching the Rory one.

My memory of this fight was a one-sided beatdown from Rory, with a whole load of German-Suplexes. I rewatched it and my god, that was not how the fight went at all...

Don't get me wrong, Rory won the fight, but it wasn't a 30-26 like 2 judges had it. You could even give Nate a round in this fight, and he actually statistically outstruck Rory 72-60.

Nate showed really good takedown defense for the majority of the fight. Fightmetric has Rory scored with a total of 7 takedowns, 3 of which were in the first 2 rounds - which I think is ludicrous. I don't even know what counts as a takedown anymore.

Rory is a huge Welterweight, and it just shows the difference weight classes make, and it's funny how everyone tries to call Nate a Welterweight in disguise. It really took until the 3rd round for there to be a noticable difference in class, Nate actually tried his own takedowns and cage work for the entire fight.

My point within the post is more so around how fights are so different when watching back. We've all watched thousands of fights, and trying to remember every detail is tough, so instead we come up with just a basic description of how it went. Everyone says "Rory threw Nate around", yes in the 3rd round - before that, it had been close. The idea there was a 10-8 in this fight is just astonishing to me.

Moral of the story - don't forget the fights, don't create your own narrative...

Nate-Diaz.jpg
This is all i remember
Rory_MacDonald_vs._Nate_Diaz_9.gif

Man, I've gotten a bunch of flack for saying that fight was competitive, all people know are the suplexes gif. Nate held his own fine the first two rounds.

Nate hung in there for the first two rounds, then got sloppy as he was desperate for a takedown in the 3rd, because he knew he was losing. Rory stuffed the TDs well and got those 3 suplexes, which everybody remembers from the highlights.

But how in the fuck two judges gave Rory a 10-8 is beyond me. Nate didn't seem hurt and was in no danger of being finished. I honestly think the huge Canadian crowd roaring for the suplexes influenced the judges.

Just cause you're out struck doesn't mean you lost. Quality of the strikes and damage outweigh volume with no damage. Whether that's right or not is another matter.

I agree with @The Natural Born Runner.

Casuals get chubs for slams. A slam to a casual = 10-8 round atleast. I think this is because many come from WWE and the theatrics of it all influences the way they feel about a fight. The reality is that often the smallest punch can do the most damage while the big theatrical stuff inflicts little to no damage.
/thread

Rory wanted to touch his butt

Back