Failed Hype Trains

BC

Helax
@Gold
Reaction score
We are all guilty of buying into the hype of a fighter who we all thought was destined to be a champ from time to time, only to be dead wrong.

When I first got into MMA I thought Thiago Silva was going to be an absolute killer for a long time. He did a throat slash after he'd knock dudes out, he was undefeated, he just looked like a fucking savage that was hell-bent on fucking shit up.

thiago_silva.gif

tumblr_m79qs1u72o1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

And then Lyoto Machida beat him into an actual Living FOOKIN DIEDED. Silva bounced back with a KO win over The Dean of Mean, he lost to Rashad Evans, he then was out a year and returned against Brandon Vera where he just clowned Vera and played fucking bongos on homie's back.

giphy.gif

Then he was matched up against Rampage
but he failed his test against Vera and was suspended for a year. Then he did some GTA shit on his wife and got cut from the UFC and disappeared.

Thiago-Silva-mug-shot.jpg

I also bought into the 2010-2011 Melvin Guillard hype train when he went on that 5 fight tear, he was at Jackson's/Wink's and he looked like he really put it all together finally.

2_medium.gif

but Lauzon ended his run in less than a minute.

Which hype trains are you guilty of believing in Sherdog? @Sgt Smith @NightwingBJJ @KONE @ortizgnp

I thought Brandon Thatch was the future.

brandon-thatch-hugs-benson-henderson-backstage-after-their-fight-picture-id463479130

This chiseled physique had us all fooled. I'm not falling for that again.

20130426030338_IMG_9537.JPG

I foolishly thought that Thatch would be a machine of destruction in that division. He looked a whole other level in his first few UFC fights.

Sokoudjou - Looked amazing, appeared strong, talented, had some legit wins. I thought he would be a Rampage-esque Fighter. I didn't think he'd be the best, but I figured he'd be a guy who could potentially beat anyone, and became champ atleast once.
-

Caros Fodor - he looked extremely raw. but he seemed to have great defensive skillset. I thought he'd be competing for a belt someday. and atleast have some name value
-

Gina Carano. I thought she was Beautiful and talented. I assumed she would beat Cyborg and finish out her career as a dominant champion. I remember saying that Cyborg would try to ragdoll her down and end up on bottom. and Carano would hold her off and beat her into fatigue.

I think Carano wasn't mentally as strong as I thought. I do believe she had the skills to beat Cyborg. she just looked afraid.

Thatch with those dispatches

Hes got one more chance here......but hed have to go on a serious tear

I didn't think he would fight for the belt, but some fools on here bought into the Erick Silva hype train.

The term hater is thrown around way too much (@KONE) but if you say Ronda for this you are guilty of letting at least contempt blind you. There's no way a champion who defended her belt 6 times with 6 finishes and 5 of them in the first round was a hype train. Joe Rogan is just an idiot.

Just going on pure potential I would say Sokoudjou and David Terrell off the top of my head are two fighters who could have been elite but never put it together.

I didn't think he would fight for the belt, but some fools on here bought into the Erick Silva hype train.

I still remember when dudes were saying Silva would destroy Rory back in like 2012 when both were hyped as the future of the division.

So nobody thought Houston Alexander was for real??

And you mentioned him in the OP tangentially but Brandon Vera is another fighter that I distinctly remember having two division title hype behind him.

And you mentioned him in the OP tangentially but Brandon Vera is another fighter that I distinctly remember having two division title hype behind him.

After he TKO'd Mir the hype was strong, then Timmeh derailed the hype train.

After he TKO'd Mir the hype was strong, then Timmeh derailed the hype train.
Yeah but that hype went on forever, people didn't want to let go, even Dana. He was in a LHW title eliminator as recently as like UFC 150 which is funny. The Jon Jones fight was when I was both like okay this Jones kid is really legit and Vera is a really good gatekeeper.

Back