UFC Women's Flyweight division migrants

Dr John Smith

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Who are the fighters from the preexisting divisions who will almost assuredly move if the flyweight division becomes a reality?

Valentina Shevchenko
Liz Carmouche
Joanna Jedrzejczyk
Valerie Letourneau is already there
Joanne Calderwood

are the ones I would most expect to move. Then maybe also

Alexis Davis
Bethe Correia
Jessica Eye claims not to be able to, but after a 4 loss streak...
Miesha Tate possible, she's not that small now though
Claudia Gadelha should to have more cardio
Maryna Moroz 5'7 and used to fight there

Probably some others too. Pena and Cat used to fight at 125 but they seem pretty big these days... McMann might be able to make it but she's already one of the strongest 135ers so no need.

105 and 125 ,140 lb seems to be better weight classes for women most 115 women used to fight at 105 and most 135 lbs either fought at 125lbs or 145 before.

Alot, and making the new division is a no-brainer.

Fuck the UFC.

It makes a million times more sense than a female FW division... Just for one fighter ( The Borg ).

most 115 women used to fight at 105
Er this is flat out wrong, more of the prominent 115 women used to fight at 125 or higher than 105. Only ones I can think of from 105 off the top of my head are Waterson, Ham, Penne who is pretty much irrelevant now, and Chambers who has always been irrelevant. Whereas I can think of twice as many who moved down from higher divisions.

If there is going to be another W division, a W Flyweight they have to make a FW division for the BEST Woman MMA fighter in the world, and cut the bullshit excuses

Valentina Shevchenko
Liz Carmouche
Joanna Jedrzejczyk
Valerie Letourneau is already there
Joanne Calderwood

are the ones I would most expect to move. Then maybe also

Alexis Davis
Bethe Correia
Jessica Eye claims not to be able to, but after a 4 loss streak...
Miesha Tate possible, she's not that small now though
Claudia Gadelha should to have more cardio
Maryna Moroz 5'7 and used to fight there

Probably some others too. Pena and Cat used to fight at 125 but they seem pretty big these days... McMann might be able to make it but she's already one of the strongest 135ers so no need.

Yeah, no way on Cat. She was complaining about cutting the other day on twitter or instagram or one of those fucking places.

But then we will also get people from outside the UFC, so it will be a good division. It has the most depth in terms of roster across all promotions.

If there is going to be another W division, a W Flyweight they have to make a FW division for the BEST Woman MMA fighter in the world, and cut the bullshit excuses

Why make a division for one fighter with no competition who has a history of cheating, not honoring contracts and a failure to make weight? And please list her top five opponents, so that I may mock the majority of them.

And you.

I presume Tate would be the new 125 Champ, but then Sherdog wouldn't like her bikini pix anymore.

Yeah, no way on Cat. She was complaining about cutting the other day on twitter or instagram or one of those fucking places.

Yeah I figured pretty much no way on her but mentioned her preemptively since she used to fight at 125 so somebody would probably suggest it.

Thinking about it's actually likely 115 would be affected more than 135 (contrary to popular opinion) if 125 was added at least in terms of the top tier, Holly, Ronda, and Nunes are also pretty much NO WAY in terms of moving down with Pena, current Tate, and McMann at her age being pretty unlikely too, 135 would probably only lose Shev and maybe Davis in terms of major fighters while 115 could lose Joanna, Claudia, and several other top 10's.

Yeah I figured pretty much no way on her but mentioned her preemptively since she used to fight at 125 so somebody would probably suggested it.

Thinking about it's actually likely 115 would be affected more than 135 (contrary to popular opinion) if 125 was added at least in terms of the top tier, Holly, Ronda, and Nunes are also pretty much NO WAY in terms of moving down with Pena, current Tate, and McMann at her age being pretty unlikely too, 135 would probably only lose Shev and maybe Davis in terms of major fighters while 115 could lose Joanna, Claudia, and several other top 10's.

Not even sure about Davis. May be harder than ever for her to make weight after having yet another child. You never know, though. But I agree that 115 will have more move. Several have complained about the cut, including the top two.

And then you have fighters like JAG who should be at 105.

And then you have fighters like JAG who should be at 105.

I thought it was more that Gadelha is huge than JAG being undersized but yeah there are some who maybe could use a move down like 'Tiny' Tornado and definitely Hamderlei.

I presume Tate would be the new 125 Champ, but then Sherdog wouldn't like her bikini pix anymore.

I think it would come down to JJ vs. Shevchenko for the title. Tate would get picked apart by either, IMO. And, of course, it would be nice to see a rematch between the two. At 125, I would also take Claudia over Tate, assuming the easier cut took care of Claudia's gas tank issues.

I thought it was more that Gadelha is true than JAG being undersized but yeah there are some who maybe could use a move down like 'Tiny' Tornado and definitely Hamderlei.

Yep. If they opened up both, 115 would be hurting.

I think it would come down to JJ vs. Shevchenko for the title. Tate would get picked apart by either, IMO. And, of course, it would be nice to see a rematch between the two. At 125, I would also take Claudia over Tate, assuming the easier cut took care of Claudia's gas tank issues.

I would take Tate over the first two but I'm biased cause she's my favorite fighter lol, still even objectively I think she would have a good chance against either considering she beat a much bigger and stronger striker in Holly.

As for Claudia, dunno that would be interesting.

I would take Tate over the first two but I'm biased cause she's my favorite fighter lol, still even objectively I think she would have a good chance against either considering she beat a much bigger and stronger striker in Holly.

As for Claudia, dunno that would be interesting.

Holly fought terribly that night. And I will give it up for Tate, she fought the fight of her life when she needed to. But I think Shevchenko moves too well and Tate gets hit too much, so she will get picked apart all night. Same thing for JJ, Tate's striking defense is blocking shots with her face. She has decent takedowns, is quick to snatch a sub (like she did against both Coenen and Kedzie) and great in scrambles - probably the best in the division - but most of that will not apply in either case. JJ's takedown defense should overcome anything Tate tries, and I do not think she can get her hands on Shevchenko enough to do anything (although this would be a fight I would like to see for the prototypical male reason).

Who knows, maybe without Brian, Tate will learn to slip a punch.

Holly fought terribly that night. And I will give it up for Tate, she fought the fight of her life when she needed to. But I think Shevchenko moves too well and Tate gets hit too much, so she will get picked apart all night. Same thing for JJ, Tate's striking defense is blocking shots with her face. She has decent takedowns, is quick to snatch a sub (like she did against both Coenen and Kedzie) and great in scrambles - probably the best in the division - but most of that will not apply in either case. JJ's takedown defense should overcome anything Tate tries, and I do not think she can get her hands on Shevchenko enough to do anything (although this would be a fight I would like to see for the prototypical male reason).

Who knows, maybe without Brian, Tate will learn to slip a punch.

Well, Shev did lose to Nunes largely due to grappling and Tate won't run out of cardio like the Lioness.

Why make a division for one fighter with no competition who has a history of cheating, not honoring contracts and a failure to make weight? And please list her top five opponents, so that I may mock the majority of them.

And you.

I will play this game, with the "Sherdog" style of shitting on their career in retrospect:

-Top 5 opponents in some kind of order-

Marloes Coenen (23-7) Cyborg's best win IMO. Lost to Tate in the 135 SF tournament. Lost to Cindy Dandois who has been trying to get a fight with Cyborg since they had a fight signed last year. Just lost to UFC 135 washout Alexis Dufresne and a loss to the new Invicta 125 titleholder Roxanne Modafferi.

Gina Carano (7-1) Carano was an attractive fighter who missed weight about as often as Cyborg did and quit to act when she got beat by Cyborg in their headlining fight.

Hitomi Akano (18-10) Longtime wMMA fighter "Girlfight Monster" is a solid name on the Cyborg list, even if Akano was in the second half of her career and fought mostly at 135 or lower. Akano has losses to Tate and recently (2012, end of her career I think) to both Sarah McMann and Alexis Davis.

Shayna Baszler (15-10) While considered kind of a joke on Sherdog, Baszler is a good name for Cyborg with a lot of experience. Baszler, besides being part of the Four Horsewomen of Loss, has losses to Sarah Kaufman, Alexis Davis, Betche Correia and Amanda Nunes.

Charmaine Tweet (9-5) Tweet is a good example of the 145 division being anemic AF. She is a current top 10 (top 5?) WFW fighter with a loss in 49 seconds to Ronda Rousey (Tweet's first fight, Rousey's second) and #3 WFW Julia Budd (lost to Rousey in 39 seconds in Rousey's 4th fight and last fight at 145.)

I'll throw in one more name for the heck of it: Jan Finney (9-12) Losses to just about everyone. Carmouche, Holm, Shevchenko, Tate, Baszler and 3 losses to Julie Kedzie.

Last edited:
Well, Shev did lose to Nunes largely due to grappling and Tate won't run out of cardio like the Lioness.

Hopefully she does not do the same slow start crap. And Nunes has serious grappling, which often gets overlooked (not by you, I know you know). But yeah, Tate will not run out of cardio, but Shevchenko seems to learn from her mistakes (see avoiding the inside leg kick as a counter when fighting Holm, after she landed on her ass).

Best reason for Tate - Shevchenko fight:

MeishaTatesLovelyLadyLumps.gif

I will play this game, with the "Sherdog" style of shitting on their career in retrospect:

-Top 5 opponents in some kind of order-

Marloes Coenen (23-7)
Cyborg's best win IMO. Lost to Tate in the 135 SF tournament. Lost to Cindy Dandois who has been trying to get a fight with Cyborg since they had a fight signed last year. Just lost to UFC 135 washout Alexis Dufresne and a loss to the new Invicta 125 titleholder Roxanne Modafferi.

While I wish Roxy had won the title, she lost. Competitive fight, but fair decision.

Gina Carano (7-1)
Carano was an attractive fighter who missed weight about as often as Cyborg did and quit to act when she got beat by Cyborg in their headlining fight.

And Carano also had a history of fighting smaller women.

Hitomi Akano (18-10)
Longtime wMMA fighter "Girlfight Monster" is a solid name on the Cyborg list, even if Akano was in the second half of her career and fought mostly at 135 or lower. Akano has losses to Tate and recently (2012, end of her career I think) to both Sarah McMann and Alexis Davis.

Yeah, another smaller woman. Sort of my point. Mid-carder at 135.

Shayna Baszler (15-10)
While considered kind of a joke on Sherdog, Baszler is a good name for Cyborg with a lot of experience. Baszler, besides being part of the Four Horsewomen of Loss, has losses to Sarah Kaufman, Alexis Davis, Betche Correia and Amanda Nunes.

Yep, one of Cyborg's more talented wins. But she has fought at 125, and only gave up at least 25 to 30 lbs. of muscle when she fought Cyborg.

Charmaine Tweet (9-5)
Tweet is a good example of the 145 division being anemic AF. She is a top 10 (top 5?) WFW fighter with a loss in 49 seconds to Ronda Rousey (Tweet's first fight, Rousey's second) and #3 WFW Julia Budd (lost to Rousey in 39 seconds in Rousey's 4th fight and last fight at 145.)

Agree. People forget that Rousey was destroying 145 when she fought there. At the time she moved down, she had only 138 seconds of professional cage time. And yes, she said she needed more experience before fighting Cyborg. Which is reasonable, when you consider she had not even fought a full round.

I'll throw in one more name for the heck of it: Jan Finney (9-12) Losses to just about everyone. Carmouche, Holm, Shevchenko, Tate, Baszler and 3 losses to Julie Kedzie.

But that is the point. Cyborg has not fought anyone. 145 has always been a wasteland, and her resume consists of the shambling mutants left wandering the post-apocalyptic ruins that comprise 145, and women who have moved up from lower weight classes because they needed a payday. There are plenty of fighters I do not like, but they have fought legit competition. Hell, I cannot stand Jones, but that does not mean he has not fought all comers, and in a tough division. Same way for most other champs. Cyborg, well, no. So there will always be doubt until she fights talented women of roughly equal size. So far it has been one or the other. Or neither. But never both.[/quote]

Back