UFC looking to decrease amount of events next year to around 30

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
With the latest round of fighter cuts it seems that it's been reported by some that WME wants to decrease the amount of events next year to around 30 (Keep in mind this isn't confirmed, but it seems likely given the closing of regional offices).

This is in contrast to some rumors earlier this summer that posited WME would leave the amount the same or even increase to try to have a weekly or monthly TV presence (with TUF being on the way out). It seems like instead we might get a reality show about Ring Girls? Which I'm still not sure what the point of it is, it'll likely draw eyes but I can't see many people buying PPVs or tuning into Fox Shows just because they saw some hot chick drama on a reality show (I don't even notice ring girls anymore, particularly not when Mike Perry is fighting).

WME is clearly looking to save some bucks now that they have to pay off the remaining balance on their sale, and we could be back to the days (around 2012) where we get just about half the prelim card losers being cut. This will likely result in more stacked, but fewer cards, but one has to wonder if this is a temporary strategy or the soon to be status-quo of the sport.

Also with the lay-offs in various offices around the world, including at headquarters, WME will look to bring in some of their own executives and I'm intrigued at what the product is going to look like. There was some talk, for example, of "Face the Pain" finally being killed off with the Fox Deal but it stuck around under the assumption that it was familiar to long term fans. I'm guessing that WME will be betting hard on the UFC name and will invest quite a bit into starmaking meaning we might see some familiar parts of the production eventually change (I'm looking at you Goldie).

Also, with more and more fighters showing an awareness into their own personality stability both financial and from the health side, the slow death of "anybody anytime" mentality and WME needed names to push we might see more and more "Money Fights" as WME looks to bring as many eyes to the sport in a short amount of time as possible. If Conor wins against Alvarez, and is indeed sticking around in 2017 the UFC might be his playground.

I for one welcome our new WME overlords.

#platinumbless

Source

This shits watered down anyways. So im ok with that.

Make it 20 or even 12 and I'll be happy. After that remove the shitty cage and up the production level. #PrideNeverDie.

Make it 20 or even 12 and I'll be happy. After that remove the shitty cage and up the production level. #PrideNeverDie.
Bring back the goddamn Pride Lady

I worry about her sometimes

It's already Conor's playground. They would let him fight Joanna if he demanded. The UFC have sold their last shred of dignity as a sport. Let's not pretend otherwise.

I was just getting used to having a UFC card every weekend, starving for a card right now.
<mma1><mma1><mma1><mma1><mma1>

It's already Conor's playground. They would let him fight Joanna if he demanded. The UFC have sold their last shred of dignity as a sport. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Conor don't want any of those hands.

Id much rather have fewer cards that are way more stacked than having cards every weekend that I only care about the main event on.

Good move, Less is more!

Less cards allows you to build more anticipation for the card as well as better quality.

I saw reported 35.

Wheres this 30 coming from?

RIP UFC

It's been fun.

tumblr_inline_n63bmyQkw71qa7k0a.gif

I can definitely see more money fights/title fights based on drawing power becoming the new normal.

30-35 events feels better than what they've been doing the past couple of years. Imagine if they had combined the marquee fights from Fight Night 94 and 96 into one event. It'd be a better product for fans, for sure.

I prefer quality of cards above quantity.
So if all the fights on a card mattered again with less events.
Hooray

This shits watered down anyways. So im ok with that.

Absolutely. 30 is still too many really.

I still support the idea of a UFC minor league type of system where if you do well enough you get promoted to the big show. If you stink in the UFC you get offered a paycut to go to the minors or simply be released.

Every 2 weeks would be perfect. I agree that this is still to many.

good news, I never want to see shitty cards like the one in Utah ever again. Quality over quantity.

Absolutely. 30 is still too many really.

I still support the idea of a UFC minor league type of system where if you do well enough you get promoted to the big show. If you stink in the UFC you get offered a paycut to go to the minors or simply be released.

I kind of agree with you guys who say they want less events

The FightPass series and sometimes the FS1 events are essentially what you're referring to, but they put contenders in the mainevents (if they can) to try to bolster views or sell tickets
But I wouldn't mind what you're suggesting, just to build prospects in a better way which Joe Silva's not good at. Sean Shelby's management of WEC matchmaking is still the dopest matchmaking stretch in MMA history and it's not close imo, but that was mainly lighter guys.

I was getting used to a weekly or bi-monthly presence of MMA on TV. I don't particularly care much about names, I just like to see good fighters fight in good fights and most of the cards this year were pretty decent, not many stinkers. I think bi-monthyl might be the sweet spot, which is about 26ish events a year, I think it was probably a loss of money when they would have multiple cards in a single week.

There's been so many fights this year and im all for it. With fights comes crazy moments.

Back