Underrated Fight - Forrest Griffin vs Shogun Rua 1

Chomsky Honk

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This fight deserves more love! Griffin vs Rua 1 was a back and forth war and both fighters beat the crap out of each other from bell to bell for 3 rounds. Great takedowns, lots of scrambles, sub attempts, ground and pound, and Forrest almost got a freakin omoplata in the fight. It was brutal, bloody, and a great upset victory for Forrest.

ufc76griffin_vs_shogun2.jpg

Gotta love that 2007-2008 era MMA

That fight was the beginning of the end for Shogun's knees

When Griffin had the most heart in MMA

TUF winner defeating the #1 LHW in the world

Griffin and Shogun have put on some fantastic fights. Henderson Shogun 1 and Griffin Bonnar are two classics.

This fight deserves more love! Griffin vs Rua 1 was a back and forth war and both fighters beat the crap out of each other from bell to bell for 3 rounds. Great takedowns, lots of scrambles, sub attempts, ground and pound, and Forrest almost got a freakin omoplata in the fight. It was brutal, bloody, and a great upset victory for Forrest.

ufc76griffin_vs_shogun2.jpg

Gotta love that 2007-2008 era MMA

True. I keep telling people how good of a fight it was at the time, another fight from that era I like is Henderson-Silva. I stamp Forrest-Shogun I and Forrest-Rampage as Forrest's a-pex as a fighter, he never did display better performances than that.

It's not underrated as much as it was over 9 years ago. I think Forrest got a title shot just off that win and beat Shogun and Rampage back to back, and then one year later...
jpuh7c.jpg

Unfortunately we have the Kardashians running pr. And fighting a damn good bloody fight means nothing. Yelling and being disrespectful means ppv revenue and complete and utter bullshit along with it. #Gaybless

Thought Shogun was going to walk right through him. Lost some money on that fight. Good job by Forrest though.

I like Forrest but it's underrated how funny this KO was.

Miss watching Forrest compete, he had more balls than brains at times wich always made for a good show.

I like Forrest and all, thought he fought well and did his job, but Shogun had a bad knee in that fight.

Healthy active shogun would of been a different story

I like Forrest and all, thought he fought well and did his job, but Shogun had a bad knee in that fight.

Healthy active shogun would of been a different story
Reddit user name thief. That means nothing.

I still remember that first fight. I was expecting Shogun to dismantle Forrest kind of easily. Once Shogun looked super gassed all hope dropped and then he got choked and I felt his pain. Good for him that he got his revenge though with a quick finish.

When Griffin had the most heart in MMA

TUF winner defeating the #1 LHW in the world

Yeah he used to win fights are pure heart and work ethic. Then it just seemed to vanish.

Anderson turned Griffin into a joke figure but this fight was the pinnacle of his career, even moreso than squeaking past Rampage for the belt.

I like Griffin but Shogun wasn't looking like himself in that fight. Incredibly sloppy, gassed, nothing compared to the feared man who had that 2005 run.

When he came back after that against Machida, he had regained his strenght

Absolutely loved this fight. All the Pride huggers that never stopped gloating about the Liddell Rampage fight got shut up real quick.

Back