The recent UFC layoffs havel all the markings of PE Firm Silver Lake Prepping WME-IMG-UFC For IPO

nanika

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
WME owns UFC. SIlver Lake Partners owns 51% of WME which then owns IMG. WME now owns the UFC and it itself is owned by Silver Lake Partners, a $20 billion plus private equity firm.

With all the lay offs at the UFC recently is Silver Lake looking to cash out on a WME|IMG|UFC initial public offering(IPO)?.

This is the way private equity works and WME has been controlled by Silver Lake since 2012.

Edit: WME technically bought the UFC. But WME is 51% owned by a technology venture capital fund called Silver Lake Partners. the "WME|IMG" is not a technical entity. WME owns IMG and uses its owner ship to create a kind of "partnership" and promote themselves as WME|IMG.

It is of my opinion that the UFC's purchase by WME had little to do with WME itself but with its owners Silver Lake Partners. Silver Lake is one of the largest private equity funds on earth.

Last edited:
I know this makes sense to a subset of individuals, but fuck me that made my brain hurt.

Can you dumb it down for those of us not Financial-Industry savvy?

I know this makes sense to a subset of individuals, but fuck me that made my brain hurt.

They're about to sell UFC shares. Get your wallets out Sherbros, this is your chance to invest in a piece of history.

Not sure how I feel about the UFC being a publicly traded company. Definite pro and cons to it.

UFC will be ruined if they become public. Just look at WWE. They can't do what they want because of the investors.

Could be IPO or just sell to someone else - IPO could make sense in the right market - I agree though that the private equity mentality of quick growth and cost cuts are prob happening

Come on, it's simple. WME is prepping IPO know for 51%. Silver Lake Partnerned UFC, owing IMGO.

Yes, I believe they are looking to IPO for 20 gazillion, especially with the laying off of 86% of their Asian employees (6 fellas).

Pump and dump. Deutschmarks. Dow Jones. The vig. Buy high sell low. Options. Long the short. Peter Thiel.

as long as the reign of irish jabroni as his own matchmaker ends, i dont care if the entire ufc assets go to wall street

im not sure it is, it just looks like a normal acquisition so far to me. WME-IMG is a media company, they probably bought the thing assuming they could do better promotion and PR than the UFC could, which would explain why theyre firing all the people who used to do that for the UFC

I'd buy some if they go public. Going public means company will have more cash without borrowing → more $ for talented fighters → young talented athletes taking up pro MMA. Future seems bright.

I'd buy some if they go public. Going public means company will have more cash without borrowing → more $ for talented fighters → young talented athletes taking up pro MMA. Future seems bright.

lol Bullshit.

It'll be a mess.

Their will be an IPO but Not happening anytime soon. Now that they have massive debt, the last thing they want to do is try to go public, give it a few years.

The reason for the mass firings is cut cost because of debt and also wme has their own guys that can replace alot of UFC staff, which explains all the layoffs.

Their will be an IPO but Not happening anytime soon. Now that they have massive debt, the last thing they want to do is try to go public, give it a few years.

The reason for the mass firings is cut cost because of debt and also wme has their own guys that can replace alot of UFC staff, which explains all the layoffs.

IPO raises money to help eliminate that debt. many companies IPO to reduce debt load.

as long as the reign of irish jabroni as his own matchmaker ends, i dont care if the entire ufc assets go to wall street

lol WHY IN THE FUCK WOULD THIS HAPPEN??????

You understand that Conor gets his way a lot BECAUSE HE GETS PPV WHICH GENERATES REVENUE????? So, a public company most of which would murder small children to make their stocks go up 0.01 percent are for some reason going to be ethical and stick to having fights and title fights based on rankings instead of oh, i don't know, WHAT MAKES THE MOST MONEY???????

I have more respect for motherfucking flat earthers than anyone who would be naive enough to believe this bullshit

GET THIS STRAIGHT---- a public UFC will do whatever the fuck it wants if it believes it will bring up the stock price....this is how wall street fucking works

IPO raises money to help eliminate that debt. many companies IPO to reduce debt load.

True but still think its way too early,

A good time to try one would be when they get a new TV deal. If they can get a massive deal with ESPN or another top network then that would be the perfect time. I think we may see a bidding war the next time the UFC tv rights go for sale

Back