Luke Rockhold Training for Jacare Souza rematch @ UFC Australia (Fight Night 101)

Transcend81

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I know Luke turned off a lot of people with his saltiness post-Bisping but I really hope he returns to form, because when he is on his game he looks nigh unstoppable.

Watch the video. Hands down chin up plus cockiness. Didn't he learn from the Bisping fight? He'll get Koed again.

Watch the video. Hands down chin up plus cockiness. Didn't he learn from the Bisping fight? He'll get Koed again.

He fights like that quite often, but people needed an excuse for him after Bisping knocked the shit out of him

I wouldn't mind if he took another loss

I still think Rockhold is the most complete fighter at MW. Crazy striking and slick ground game. Think he beats everyone at the top of the division from here on out. Just gotta keep that ego in order

He fights like that quite often, but people needed an excuse for him after Bisping knocked the shit out of him
yeah.. "don't fix it until it is broken," but now it is broken and it needs to be fixed

I know Luke turned off a lot of people with his saltiness post-Bisping but I really hope he returns to form, because when he is on his game he looks nigh unstoppable.

2:13, André Fialho future Bellator champion, watch.

I still think Rockhold is the most complete fighter at MW. Crazy striking and slick ground game. Think he beats everyone at the top of the division from here on out. Just gotta keep that ego in order

I agree and honestly would love to see him matched up vs JJ - his style would give Jonny fits imo.

He will regain the mw belt, plus he's never lost with the beard

I agree.

Luke Rockhold doing his hands down Carl Froch impersonation will get him destroyed again. He's a brilliant grappler with good kicking game yet when he developed semi-decent boxing he already thought he's the next Ali or RJJ and he got more and more cocky until getting obliterated by left hook Larry. He should stick to fundamentals.

The problem with most of the guys impersonating these hand(s) down styles is that they don't have the footwork fundamentals covered. Take for example Floyd, the reason why his style worked is largely because of how good his footwork and countering was, as well as his out of this world reflexes. Then you see guys like Broner and Berto trying to do the same and failing.

I thought Luke learned his lesson but here you have him sparring like this again.

Here you can see the basic flaws in Luke's boxing style:

And since I mentioned Carl Froch this is how you implement both hands down style if you have an iron chin. One of my favorite rounds in boxing, it looked like something out of a movie:

Luke could be such a good fighter, but he has major flaws with his southpaw boxing stance
He can get away with it when he's pressuring intelligently (usually), but its so flawed and it doesn't have to be - he's such a bullying fighter that when he can pressure EXACTLY as Javier Mendez gameplans him too it looks legit, but any break in whats expected and the holes start to show. That's to say nothing about his weird power lead southpaw stance, which I assume he took for kicks and takedown reasons but it's just got so much work that needs to be done on it from a boxing standpoint.

His pad work looks legit, but it always has.When he spars it gets me nervous

I kind of wish they did Rockhold/Romero and Chris/Jacare to avoid the needless rematch but this is cool too.

All 4 guys beat Bisping.

Luke Rockhold doing his hands down Carl Froch impersonation will get him destroyed again. He's a brilliant grappler with good kicking game yet when he developed semi-decent boxing he already thought he's the next Ali or RJJ and he got more and more cocky until getting obliterated by left hook Larry. He should stick to fundamentals.

The problem with most of the guys impersonating these hand(s) down styles is that they don't have the footwork fundamentals covered. Take for example Floyd, the reason why his style worked is largely because of how good his footwork and countering was, as well as his out of this world reflexes. Then you see guys like Broner and Berto trying to do the same and failing.

I thought Luke learned his lesson but here you have him sparring like this again.

Here you can see the basic flaws in Luke's boxing style:

And since I mentioned Carl Froch this is how you implement both hands down style if you have an iron chin. One of my favorite rounds in boxing, it looked like something out of a movie:

Great post.
It's not even just the hands down, it's his stance as well. Despite being a natural righty, he lines himself up in such a away that he can't really establish a jab without making foot placement adjustments first which telegraphs it, and it's weird that he carries no dexterity in his lead. His go to is that check right hook, but he'll often almost turn his body side long to land it, so when guys get inside of the right lead, they eat him up from an open angle and he's forced to pivot to adjust. It's just a really weird boxing application, especially when you consider that he doesn't throw left straights with any real authority, and rarely throws more than one punch at a time. It's weird. Vitor gave him an absolute boxing lesson even before landing the heel kick and Left Hook Larry (Buddeh), caught him because he willingly pretty much gave up his range, Larry stepped inside to where Luke had no answer (again inside the check right hook) and took his soul. He's got tools in almost literally every other area of the fight, but fails completely in boxing range.

EDIT: I should add, it's not that his stance is super flawed, it's that he doesn't have the footwork or fundamentals (He doesn't tuck his chin and learn to use his shoulders for example if he wants to fight like that) to pull that type of defense off, plus it's not even really what he wants to do he wants to stand a bit longer and fight a bit higher for kicks and we end up with some weird mash up of the two.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back