5 Reasons why I think the future of our sport is in jeopardy

Reason

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
1. Meltzer - The UFC paid 13% to fighters in 2015.

They can't keep this up. As sure as the NY ban was eventually going to end, the fighter's cut is going to have to increase and profit margins will dwindle as a result.

2. That Loan

We heard about Goldman Sachs and the Federal warning. This is not to be brushed off. A simple exercise in arithmetic will tell you that. Even with very favourable revenue predictions, the numbers just don't quite add up.

3. They sold before the first NY show.

We all know that the process of lifting the ban in NY was epic. They went head to head with some of the most powerful people in the world for a long, long time.

Was the plan always to sell, as soon as they got the NY deal done? Do they know something we don't?

4. The GSP debacle

I cannot think of a reason why they didn't put GSP on 206. Its a classic win/win. Are they that worried about spending money that they give away one of the GOATs?

5. McGregor

I'm one of his biggest fans around here. Its been an incredible ride that began with some tongue-in-cheek band-and-forth in a PBP thread and has never let us down for entertainment value. With that being said, they have given him too much rope and the consequences of that have not fully revealed themselves.

What happens if Jones never makes it back? And GSP goes to Bellator.. Jose goes to Russia... McGregor retires... Ronda shits the bed again... Fighters form a Union... Canada boycotts.. Owners start losing money... debtors start not getting paid... Drastic cuts... rival orgs gather steam...

I don't know bros.... I'm a little worried....

Their cut has increased. Multiple times. There is nothing happening that's going to force them to pay more.

For the sport? I don't really think so. For the UFC in particular? Possibly.

MMA existed before the UFC and will still be around when the UFC is gone.

For the sport? I don't really think so. For the UFC in particular? Possibly.

What would have happened if PRIDE won the war and killed the UFC before everything came out about ties to organised crime, fixed fights etc? I think it would have thrown us straight back into the dark ages.

I feel that you underestimate the importance of the UFC to this sport. Especially these days..

MMA existed before the UFC and will still be around when the UFC is gone.

Will it be as good? Think about it. Like, actually sit and think about what the UFC has accomplished. Take all of that away and things get shaky very quickly.

Don't be afraid, son.
PERRY_MIKE.png

All other sports grew when players got union and more money. Union had a positive bearing on success that much is obvious. NFL player used to work two jobs too in the 1960s. All Union does is give worker more of revenue pie instead of owners. But both sides "won" they are both richer than ever.

1. Meltzer - The UFC paid 13% to fighters in 2015.

They can't keep this up. As sure as the NY ban was eventually going to end, the fighter's cut is going to have to increase and profit margins will dwindle as a result.

2. That Loan

We heard about Goldman Sachs and the Federal warning. This is not to be brushed off. A simple exercise in arithmetic will tell you that. Even with very favourable revenue predictions, the numbers just don't quite add up.

3. They sold before the first NY show.

We all know that the process of lifting the ban in NY was epic. They went head to head with some of the most powerful people in the world for a long, long time.

Was the plan always to sell, as soon as they got the NY deal done? Do they know something we don't?

4. The GSP debacle

I cannot think of a reason why they didn't put GSP on 206. Its a classic win/win. Are they that worried about spending money that they give away one of the GOATs?

5. McGregor

I'm one of his biggest fans around here. Its been an incredible ride that began with some tongue-in-cheek band-and-forth in a PBP thread and has never let us down for entertainment value. With that being said, they have given him too much rope and the consequences of that have not fully revealed themselves.

What happens if Jones never makes it back? And GSP goes to Bellator.. Jose goes to Russia... McGregor retires... Ronda shits the bed again... Fighters form a Union... Canada boycotts.. Owners start losing money... debtors start not getting paid... Drastic cuts... rival orgs gather steam...

I don't know bros.... I'm a little worried....

Sherdog, circa 2000. Look at the 5th post from the bottom. Never change.

AS8rNQF.jpg

All other sports grew when players got union and more money. Union had a positive bearing on success that much is obvious. NFL player used to work two jobs too in the 1960s. All Union does is give worker more of revenue pie instead of owners.

I agree. The point I was poorly trying to put across is that, while I think a union is needed for the fighters and is overdue, I'm worried that the new owners can't afford it.

People will always fight for money and people will always want to watch it happen. Nothing will ever change that.

You missed a BIG one and sort of skirted around a second one:

1) Concussion lawsuits - Dana likes to claim the sport is safer than other major sports, but a 25 year old who passed away had his brain examined and he had CTE.

2) Antitrust lawsuit and possible government intervention. Major US sports can maintain a monopoly but they do have to have unionized athletes and not cross the line. It is possible that unions could someday be forced upon the UFC even if the athletes are too afraid to start one on their own. GSP's situation could tie into this or the UFC could work out a deal with GSP and try to get his lawyer to back off on his other statements.

A possible third issue is that the UFC has watered down their cards and thus watered down their reputation.

We are spoiled by how awesome the UFC has been. When it's gone it'll never be the same and you will all wish you could turn back the clock.

GSP appearing or not appearing at UFC 206 is insignificant in the big picture.

People will always fight for money and people will always want to watch it happen. Nothing will ever change that.

Silly me.....of course you are right! In fact, I'm sure that's all WME had to tell Goldman Sachs to raise that 2b right?

Businesses face many challengers it's how you deal with them and adapt to change that counts.

Can WME run the UFC as good as the Fertitta brothers did? I don't think so but time will tell.
tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Totally disagree. The sport is in the best place it has been for ages. Competition is stronger than ever. UFC might be in a bit of trouble, not mma. Bellator is doing pretty well, gathering a rosta of talented fighters. Theres the resurgence of Japanese mma with rizin and a host of other minor orgs all with their own talent. And it's finally made it to New York.

Back