Judo gold medalist Kayla Harrison training in jiu-jitsu, boxing, but still unsure of MMA transition

Eater of Souls

Guardian of the Gate
@Silver
Reaction score
Kayla Harrison is training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and boxing. She has offers on the table from multiple mixed martial arts promotions.

But the two-time Olympic judo gold medalist still has not made a firm decision on whether or not MMA will be in her future.

"I can't answer that right now," Harrison told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "I just don't know. At the end of the day, I miss competing. I'm not gonna lie to you. I miss that feeling of stepping onto a mat and being the best in the world at what I do and forcing someone to submit. I miss that. But I don't know if I'm gonna find that in MMA or if I'm gonna find that down other avenues."

More:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/10/...yla-harrison-training-in-jiu-jitsu-boxing-but

Poor Ronda. If Kayla decides to give it a try at MMA she won't even be the best female judoka in MMA anymore. Better hold on to that pillow.

Id love to see her compete at the ADCCs or on EBI.

Poor Ronda. If Kayla decides to give it a try at MMA she won't even be the best female judoka in MMA anymore. Better hold on to that pillow.

that's why ogawa, ishii, yoshida > fedor.

I doubt she can get paid more doing something else.

Maybe she just doesn't want to get her ass kicked.

yeah im sure shes just falling all over herself for a chance at that reebok money

depends on if she's champion material. surely the highest paid wmma fighter does pretty well, no?

Please tell me where does she get paid more ?

Shes already got multiple offers, i imagine rizin, bellator, or some other org like that would be willing to drop cheddar in the hopes shes the next honda.

Shes already got multiple offers, i imagine rizin, bellator, or some other org like that would be willing to drop cheddar in the hopes shes the next honda.
certainly more likely that she starts outside the ufc.

I know ufc is the gold standard here but figuring how it doesn't have a fw division her argument is somewhat invalid. Other organizations are small enough to run a fairly straightforward ship. She should avoid Invicta & borg till she gets some experience though. Bellator iirc is hosting a fw division right? Build herself up and call out borg. Borg would finally fight someone at her own size with an equally dangerous skillset

i don't know why the article had to throw in the stupid money over merit lline using jose aldo as an example.

"I wouldn't say that I'm not interested, but I will say that I'm interested in MMA in an aspect where competitors are treated as competitors and not as celebrities or as showman,"

Be great to see her in some grappling matches first.

I know ufc is the gold standard here but figuring how it doesn't have a fw division her argument is somewhat invalid. Other organizations are small enough to run a fairly straightforward ship. She should avoid Invicta & borg till she gets some experience though. Bellator iirc is hosting a fw division right? Build herself up and call out borg. Borg would finally fight someone at her own size with an equally dangerous skillset

Yes, Bellator has one, and I am sure they would love to have her. Promotional opportunities are huge (if true).

Back