MMA fighter who died in hit-and-run had CTE (First MMA fighter diagnosed)

seiger

Posting from a UK no-go zone in Northern Ireland
Banned
Reaction score
Jordan Parsons, theMMA fighter killed in a hit-and-run accident in Delray Beach in a hit-and-run accident last May in South Florida, has been posthumously diagnosed with CTE, according to theBoston Globe.

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/trending-now/mma-fighter-who-died-in-hitandrun-had-cte/459350900

Not good.

methodget-38-rs70-38-q75-38-x16-38-y2-38-w700-38-h372-38-ro0-38-sjordan-parsons_1_20161021110035288_6403491_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Guy was 25.

CTE can only be diagnosed posthumously, and IIRC on request. So you need to have a dead fighter on your hands, which given the age of the sport is unlikely at this stage. You also need a reason to be present to test for CTE in the first place.

To find CTE in a 25 year old MMA fighter is messed up. Obviously any link to that condition affects the sport, which is why i posted in the HWs.

Last edited:
For anyone like me who didn't know what CTE is, here's the wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

I wonder though how much can 3 or 4 x 25 minute fights a year contribute (unless they are Velasquez JDS beatdowns) to this?
I would guess it's more to do with hard sparring throughout the training periods that would have more of an effect. But then who am I to say.

Wow and he was only 25.

It would be speculate to solely blame mma and mma training for his cte, considering we can't know if other activities or incidents he was involved in at a younger age may have contributed also.

We have seen motorcross, skateboarders and bmx freestylers develop it at a young age as well.

Did he play any other sports? Grow up in a rough neighborhood? There are alot of questions that need to be answered before MMA can be linked as the cause. Since he was relatively young I would think that there would have to be some sort of other activity adding to him having CTE.

Well, he does get punched in the head for a living.

I think it's obvious that if high school football players are getting CTE that we're going to see a lot of MMA fighters get it. I don't know how any fighter who has a long career won't get it to some degree.

Apparently hes the first MMA guy diagnosed with CTE

Did he play any other sports? Grow up in a rough neighborhood?

Huh?

I take your point though about other activities, and maybe some people have a predisposition to it.

Horrific news. MMA is such a new sport in the mainstream and all the guys in it still so relatively young. There's going to be some bad shit ahead in the coming decades

I think it's obvious that if high school football players are getting CTE that we're going to see a lot of MMA fighters get it. I don't know how any fighter who has a long career won't get it to some degree.

My sentiments exactly. Some people say "maybe he got it prior to MMA, because MMA isn't necessarily enough". If teenaged football players can (and they have) gotten CTE, then certainly a mid-20's pro fighter can get it from MMA. Not only has this guy been fighting for years, but he's been training and *sparring* for years. That's a lot of accumulated head trauma.

It doesn't take that much to develop CTE. It's a pretty simple formula: take repeated blows to the head... that's it.

Apparently hes the first MMA guy diagnosed with CTE

Probably. But that's because you can't test someone who is alive, so a fighter has to die first. AND on top of it, the family of the deceased would have to request that an autopsy be done to investigate the potential for CTE. MMA is a young sport and CTE is a relatively new thing. Going forward, any former MMA fighter who passes away *should* be checked for this. I think it should be mandatory, almost. Because it represents a medical problem that I would define as being almost akin to an epidemic in contact sports in North America (hockey, football, MMA... these guys are all at a high risk for this disease).

you do realize what he did for a living don't you?

Probably high school football... or mma.

Wiki mentions he was bullied, started weight training and wrestling, started MMA fighting at 17. Weight training and wrestling plus an early start in MMA doesnt really help the blame something else angle. No ball and no boxing. Being bullied is usually mostly emotional, in that its not usually being repeatedly knocked out or hit in the head with relevant force to give someone CTE.

you do realize what he did for a living don't you?

You do realise an association with CTE proven posthumously by testing, is a little more relevant to the sport than "conor mcnugget stole my lines".

Why is this surprising? Mma fighters get probably 2-10 legit concussions per year. Jordan Reed who plays for the Redskins has had 5 in 5 years and that's considered a big deal

This is why I get so angry when I hear about the lousy pay and working conditions a lot of these guys have. Such a dangerous business, lousy pay (for most), no benefits, no union. I love the sport but you have to be nuts to compete in it.

Also, they've found that you don't have to be knocked out or rocked hard to get CTE. Sub-concussive blows apparently add up big time, so years of getting punched and kicked in the head (even with headgear) is going to lead to bad things.

Wait 10-15 years for some hard hitting documentaries about MMA fighters and brain damage. Espn 30 for 30 shit. Alex Gibney steez.

A 10 year old with a bunch of concussions will have it too. Seems pretty obvious.

Surprised? Pff. The man got in a ring and fought because that's what he wanted to do. This isn't Conan the Barbarian being forced to pit fight. Everyone knows that getting punched in the face is a bad thing, and some will keep doing it til the end of time.

You do realise an association with CTE proven posthumously by testing, is a little more relevant to the sport than "conor mcnugget stole my lines".

Not really. It's a combat sport. CTE is more relevant to a sport like football, where specific procedures and technology can be implemented to minimize head trauma. That's not applicable to a sport where the intention is to repeatedly strike the head and cause damage.

Although, this is a good reason for the camps to reform how the fighters train and spar in the gym.

Back