Why do people take the rankings seriously ?

cheese32165

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The UFC doesn't make the rankings and doesn't use them either, so stop using them to justify title shots.

Dom vs Cody is great title fight.

People are used to sports where rankings matter, they forget that the UFC is a business

Last edited:
The UFC might not take it seriously, but they should. Just because the organisation settles with money fights, it doesn't mean we should necessarily do the same as fans.

Garbrandt over Dillashaw makes no sense at all.

The UFC might not take it seriously, but they should. Just because the organisation settles with money fights, it doesn't mean we should necessarily do the same as fans.

Garbrandt over Dillashaw makes no sense at all.

Garbrandt or Dillashaw, either is great imo.

The NBA finals should always be Knicks Vs Lakers

Because that's the 2 biggest market.

Make sense.

(that being said, Cruz Vs Cody is a pretty cool fight)

because the higher ranked fighter is generally perceived as more of a threat to the champion than the lower ranked one.

Garbrandt or Dillashaw, either is great imo.

I agree with you, Dominick vs. Garbrandt is great indeed. Personally, I was pretty psyched with Bisping vs. Hendo just as well for example. I still think the "money fights" over rankings make a dangerous precedent though.

It's fun to pretend that things matter

It's not "people's" fault they care about the rankings. The UFC shows those numbers everywhere, Buffer says them every time someone ranked is fighting, so of course people will think they have some relevance.

So, why people care? Because they are influenced to do so. And get off your high horse.

I agree with you, Dominick vs. Garbrandt is great indeed. Personally, I was pretty psyched with Bisping vs. Hendo just as well for example. I still think the "money fights" over rankings make a dangerous precedent though.
I get what your saying but Cruz vs. Garbrandt makes alot more sense than Bisping vs. Hendo.

It's not "people's" fault they care about the rankings. The UFC shows those numbers everywhere, Buffer says them every time someone ranked is fighting, so of course people will think they have some relevance.

So, why people care? Because they are influenced to do so. And get off your high horse.
"High horse", bitch please its a forum "discussion".

Because the champion should be defending his belt against the most competitive person in the division? Because there are other people in the division who would also like to get a title shot..?

Because the champion should be defending his belt against the most competitive person in the division? Because there are other people in the division who would also like to get a title shot..?
That's independent of the rankings.

It'd be enough to have the champion and then 10 guys who are "ranked top 10" without giving them a specific number. Not like most of them couldn't lose to each other on any given night.

That's independent of the rankings.

And..which part of it is independent? If you got 50 people in a division and they all seem competitive, how do you differentiate them a part? Surely there's got to be a systematic approach in place to figure this out. Like, I don't know, a ranking system sounds good. All 50 guys want a title shot. I guess Sage Northcutt should get the next title shot after he beats Gall.

The UFC does use the rankings, sometimes.

Back