Now that Rousey is no longer champ and is heavier, why doesn't she fight Cyborg at 140 catchweight?

MMAart

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Rousey has been fighting for years at 154lb in Olympics Judo, and have fought many times in MMA at 145lb back in Strikeforce.

Now that Rousey is no longer champ and is heavier, why doesn't she fight Cyborg for a non-title superfight at 140lb catchweight , which is a reasonable and fair halfway between 145 and 135?

Let's be real here, this is the fight that almost all MMA fans want to see.
The only people who don't want this fight to happen are the Rousey fans who are not confident in Rousey.

Fighters prove themselves by stepping UP a weight class, not STEPPING DOWN!

Does Jon Jones or GSP need to prove themselves by dropping down?

Anderson Silva proved himself by stepping UP to fight at the LHW division against Forrest Griffin.
Conor McGregor is trying to prove himself by stepping UP to LW against Alvarez.

If Rousey wants to prove herself, SHE needs to STEP UP, at the very least, to 140lb catchweight to prove herself (IF she wants to prove herself).

she's ducking Zulu weight
35c6aeaf43460f5ca2a853742a3dc4b29774a35d2f84a44f3665a4b84ef11b50.jpg

Duckin cyborg

Rousey has been fighting for years at 154lb in Olympics Judo, and have fought many times in MMA at 145lb back in Strikeforce.

Now that Rousey is no longer champ and is heavier, why doesn't she fight Cyborg for a non-title superfight at 140lb catchweight , which is a reasonable and fair halfway between 145 and 135?

The only people who don't want this fight to happen are the Rousey fans who are not confident in Rousey.

Anderson Silva proved himself by stepping UP to fight at the LHW division against Forrest Griffin.

If Rousey wants to prove herself, SHE needs to STEP UP, at the very least, to 140lb catchweight to prove herself (IF she wants to prove herself).
Exactly, and which one of those heavier fighters offered to come down and meet in the middle? Cyborg has made this fight as easy as possible for Ronda. Now if Ronda can go get her belt back then go ahead but either way, she needs to fight Cyborg at some point. If she loses to Nunes, she needs to take the superfight before she retires for good.

I think they want to milk Rousey a bit more before ever doing that. Ronda cuts weight in a barn.

Last edited:
If Rousey wants to prove herself, SHE needs to STEP UP, at the very least, to 140lb catchweight to prove herself (IF she wants to prove herself).[/QUOTE]

I don't know why Rousey is so afraid. Cyborg doesn't look that tough....

upload_2016-10-20_20-32-3.png.

Ronda knows what happened the last time she ran into a big chick with good striking. If Cyborg can stop the takedown like Holly did, and thanks to Holly the other women understand a bit better how to do it. Then Ronda will get her face caved in.

She knows that Cyborg is probably even stronger than Holly and hits like a truck. She wants no part of that fight.

Best we can hope for is that Nunes does her homework and stops the takedown long enough to beat the piss out of Ronda and send her away. otherwise we will have to endure the whole load of excuses for months to come all over again.

Hope she really is a once ever athlete, could do without seeing that hype twice.

She should just try and get Cyborg to come up to her weight. Fuck this catchweight shit

There is nothing in it for Honda to fight Cyborg, except money, which she probably doesn't need.

There is nothing in it for Honda to fight Cyborg, except money, which she probably doesn't need.

Money and the prestige that comes with beating Cyborg, the most feared female MMA fighters that most fighters don't want to fight against.

Cyborg looks like Bigfoot in the face from all the steroids she's taken.

I agree, Rousey-Cyborg should be fought at 155 under judo conditions - the weigh-in an hour before the fight.

As for why she doesn't go up to fight Cyborg, who knows. My guess is its the money (in 99% of pro-sports, money decides who competes where and when), but its really no one's business but Rousey's.

I agree its the fight that almost all WMMA fans want to see, but that's a subset of MMA fans. If most MMA fans were WMMA fans, Cyborg would be drawing huge numbers without having to call out Rousey.

Interesting you choose Jones or GSP - neither of them felt a need to prove themselves by going up in weight, not really the examples I'd choose if I were making the case that Rousey should go up. I can see Rousey's thinking: if Jones and GSP didn't have to go up in weight to prove themselves (and Anderson never went up to fight the current LHW champ for that matter), then there's no reason she should go up.

Personally I doubt she wants to prove herself. She left judo without proving herself (ie winning Olympic or world championship gold) because she wanted more money. Given that she dedicated herself to judo much longer than she has to MMA, I see no reason for her to treat MMA any differently. For that matter, the same is true for Cyborg. If she wants to prove herself, she should be going after bigger fighters (Gabi for instance, who would squash Rousey easily), or even try fighting men. She doesn't for the obvious reason- she wants the money that comes from fighting Rousey. Pro athletes tend to be more interested in making big money than proving themselves.

shes heavier in non fight shape.she likely didnt gain too much muscle during her time off.

Exactly, and which one of those heavier fighters offered to come down and meet in the middle? Cyborg has made this fight as easy as possible for Ronda. Now if Ronda can go get her belt back then go ahead but either way, she needs to fight Cyborg at some point. If she loses to Nunes, she needs to take the superfight before she retires for good.
I'm thinking if she wins the belt then that would be the best scenario for the fight to happen. She could fight the beast without the belt on the line. If she loses no harm done (well physical harm yes) and if she wins .....

Back