*Serious question about the "Killer Instict"*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
There's this "killer instict that MMA fighters are supposed to have, the same one that makes MMA a banned sport for a lot of people. I mean, not everybody would soccer kick another guy's face or stomp his head or knee directly to his nose.

Yeah, yeah, we know this is supposed to be a virtue, a must-have if you are a fighter, but talking about this besides MMA...what do you think?

Do you consider it 100% normal, even for a MMA fighter, to have no problem with soccer kicking a guy's face? Or kneeing his nose with a thai clinch?

Is there something psycopatic beyond that? I mean, would you like your son to have no regrets stomping a guy's head during a school fight?

English is not my native language, but i hope you get the point. In before this "don't be a pussy" replies. Is there something psycologically special among pro MMA fighters?

Sooo what's your question, if mma fighters are psychos?... yea for the most part they are

Having a "killer instinct" is overrated. Take Georges St-Pierre and Dominick Cruz, for instance - two of the greatest of all time who have no such thing.

There's this "killer instict that MMA fighters are supposed to have, the same one that makes MMA a banned sport for a lot of people. I mean, not everybody would soccer kick another guy's face or stomp his head or knee directly to his nose.

Yeah, yeah, we know this is supposed to be a virtue, a must-have if you are a fighter, but talking about this besides MMA...what do you think?

Do you consider it 100% normal, even for a MMA fighter, to have no problem with soccer kicking a guy's face? Or kneeing his nose with a thai clinch?

Is there something psycopatic beyond that? I mean, would you like your son to have no regrets stomping a guy's head during a school fight?

English is not my native language, but i hope you get the point. In before this "don't be a pussy" replies. Is there something psycologically special among pro MMA fighters?

The first and second world wars proved beyond a doubt that killer instinct is in the vast majority of the male population. It's part of our DNA. The Y chromosome in the male testicle controls the aggression gene that gives us our killer instinct. Any fighter who doesn't actively stomp or H bomb a downed opponent is either female or male trying to suppress his true emotions for a positive PR image (e.g. GSP).

aai5fQs.jpg

Killer instinct is only advantageous in barbaric cage fighting that we all love so much but in terms of actually being a decent human being, its a disgusting trait.

Well it helps in fighting. So yeah, I like to see killer instinct in fights. In a schoolyard, we don't have spectators who paid to see the most passionate fighting possible so it makes sense to hold out on the soccer kicks to the nose of grounded opponents until at least the crowd coughs up some cash.

That's why it's called PRIZE fighting. Because you need a prize to step on an unconscious man's nose until it crunches off his face.

Good question. Thx.

WAR SOCCER KICKS!!!
Nq1KsuO.gif

The first and second world wars proved beyond a doubt that killer instinct is in the vast majority of the male population. It's part of our DNA. The Y chromosome in the male testicle controls the aggression gene that gives us our killer instinct. Any fighter who doesn't actively stomp or H bomb a downed opponent is either female or male trying to suppress his true emotions for a positive PR image (e.g. GSP).

aai5fQs.jpg

Thanks man. I didn't know this. My friend got in a fight and when the guy dropped my friend didn't h-bomb, GnP, soccer kick or anything else. He taunted the guy with "Who's the bitch now?"

But now I understand something else. My friend is the bitch, not the man on the floor. My friend is missing the Y-zone you speak of. Hmmmm..... I don't have a date tomorrow night so Imma go over to that bitch's house (my friend, who I now know is a female) and Imma fuck him. I mean her.

Never for gay jesus, man....

Thanks Louis. This was important learning.

Having a "killer instinct" is overrated. Take Georges St-Pierre and Dominick Cruz, for instance - two of the greatest of all time who have no such thing.

That's what i'm talking about. Maia and many others don't seem to have that. On the other hand you got a guy like Wanderlei or Belfort.

Im cool with soccer kicks. Killer instinct is best when it backfires like pat berry/congo, or glover/bader, and countless others.

That's what i'm talking about. Maia and many others don't seem to have that. On the other hand you got a guy like Wanderlei or Belfort.

I've seen Maia squeeze Rick Story's head like a lemon until all his head juice poured out.

And you say he has not the instincts of a psychopath?

I think Story's head is still half size today!

I don't think fighters should have any hesitation to inflict damage on an opponent unless they're clearly already out. It's a fight, both guys agreed to it and trained for it. Having remorse/hesitation to stomp some one's face in in a street fight based on impulse and emotion is something a trained fighter should have as their training should give them some control over the situation.

We are talking about a sport that is essentially violence between consenting adults. (Which I guess means a safe word is essentially a verbal tap.) It's possible to suspend the normal bounds of behavior by mutual agreement; would you call that psychopathic, or merely compartmentalization?

You're wrong TS. I wish I had a dime for every time a victim looked up at me, trembling, and stuttered "y-y-you're a psychopath....."

And I don't even fight MMA. So no.

What is the name of this killer insect you speak of?

For me, "killer instinct" doesn't necessarily equate to soccer kicks, knees from the clinch, etc. I understand the word "killer" is in there, but it's not specifically referencing certain strikes-- especially those that common viewers might consider to be "more violent" than say, a punch.

"Killer instinct" (besides being a fun video game from the 90's) is more or less a feeling that a fighter has when his or her opponent is in danger, and moving in for the finish. If a fighter has a killer instinct, it doesn't mean that they have to deliver a skull-crushing blow-- it just means that they sense that their opponent is hurt, and they are looking to capitalize for a finish.

Frankly, I think the term is somewhat overrated and that "fight IQ" (while also often overused), is a fair alternative. I believe that when a fighter has a high fight IQ, it essentially means that they can adapt to the fight, make changes accordingly (whether offensively or defensively), and also have that "killer instinct" to maximize effectiveness.

As far as these questions go, are they separate from the "killer instinct" discussion? I don't know if fighters have "no problem" with it, but these are two grown adults who have knowingly agreed to compete against each other under in mixed martial arts under whatever regulatory guidelines apply, given the location/promotion. MMA may be a new sport, but it's been going on long enough that any professional would know what they're getting themselves into. And for my son stomping someone's head in a school fight, I see that as a completely different situation.

Again, MMA fighters are professionals. Fighting is their job. There are rules, and there is money at stake. In a schoolyard fight, I would assume that if I had a son, he would only fight if he needed to. You're comparing consenting, professionally trained adults who are competing within a set standard of rules with judges and a referee, to a schoolyard fight between two children. The differences are more than apparent at face value alone. With all-due respect, comparing the scenarios in-depth would take way too much time for something that is already inherently flawed on the surface.

For me, "killer instinct" doesn't necessarily equate to soccer kicks, knees from the clinch, etc. I understand the word "killer" is in there, but it's not specifically referencing certain strikes-- especially those that common viewers might consider to be "more violent" than say, a punch.

"Killer instinct" (besides being a fun video game from the 90's) is more or less a feeling that a fighter has when his or her opponent is in danger, and moving in for the finish. If a fighter has a killer instinct, it doesn't mean that they have to deliver a skull-crushing blow-- it just means that they sense that their opponent is hurt, and they are looking to capitalize for a finish.

Frankly, I think the term is somewhat overrated and that "fight IQ" (while also often overused), is a fair alternative. I believe that when a fighter has a high fight IQ, it essentially means that they can adapt to the fight, make changes accordingly (whether offensively or defensively), and also have that "killer instinct" to maximize effectiveness.

As far as these questions go, are they separate from the "killer instinct" discussion? I don't know if fighters have "no problem" with it, but these are two grown adults who have knowingly agreed to compete against each other under in mixed martial arts under whatever regulatory guidelines apply, given the location/promotion. MMA may be a new sport, but it's been going on long enough that any professional would know what they're getting themselves into. And for my son stomping someone's head in a school fight, I see that as a completely different situation.

Again, MMA fighters are professionals. Fighting is their job. There are rules, and there is money at stake. In a schoolyard fight, I would assume that if I had a son, he would only fight if he needed to. You're comparing consenting, professionally trained adults who are competing within a set standard of rules with judges and a referee, to a schoolyard fight between two children. The differences are more than apparent at face value alone. With all-due respect, comparing the scenarios in-depth would take way too much time for something that is already inherently flawed on the surface.

As the TS i must say that's a great reply, not very common here in Sherdog. Actually, i might agree with you.

Back