Best Judo Fighter with best bjj game?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Well, semantics aside, since BJJ and Judo branched off jj, in case someone dislike the way I phrased the title,
who do you think is the best judo fighter with the best ground,bjj or whatever, game?

I know people bring up Rousey all the time, but it's like when you think about best basketball player, soccer player, boxer, wrestler, bjj fighter, no one in their right mind is trying to compare female and male professionals, and I don't do it when it comes to MMA at all.

I feel like Yoshida is probably the best Judoka that represented Judo in MMA, but he looked like a fish outta water on his back against Royce, with all credit to Royce, but still. Also, Hector Lombard doesn't seem to have much either, and Akiyama, well, he does have armbars and submission defense, but he doesn't look that good on the ground either, I mean Leben submitted him, tired or not tired. I suppose original Dong had Dong bars of highest quality, then when Mous took his back, he looked stuck beneathe his big brother. THen, there's the Next gen Dong, but I don't think he has a credentials high enough in Judo to consider as one of best Judo fighters competed, and of course, he's still above many Judo blackbelts competing in MMA...I feel like Karo is more known for his throws than his groundgames.

Judo is so much more afforable than BJJ, but I am wondering if there are any good legit Judokas who competed in MMA with a legit groundgame. I suppose there is Fedor, but I don't think his ground is that great either, especially his guard game, I mean, I think Fedor is GOAT, but still. There was RIck Hawn, the Olympian, but not really sure if he really was better Judoka than Fedor, and he didn't do shit against Chandler on top of him either.

You know, I wonder though, probably GOAT Judoka who tried his hands on MMA, Nastula(sp?), if he wasn't thrown into wolves right off the bat, how he would've faired with some legit training camps...

Thoughts?

it's a very stringent set of guidelines you just laid out. we know Rousey is a judo player with great armbars, but i have no evidence to suggest she has great overall bjj (she might).

maybe the last one was Kimura. he outlasted Gracie, so his bjj must have been something.

EDIT: i did a quick search of judo players in early ADCC (before it became so bjj-centric, back when guys like Tito & Kerr participated) but didn't find any. maybe someone more knowledgeable than me knows?

With your narrow filters...

Probably Hector Lombard

q1Av1eS.gif

Fedor and it's not even close... if you count sambo as judo

Judo is actually more popular than bjj in Brazil lots of bjj guys have judo black belts like jacare

Didn't Yoshida submit Royce ? "Tired or not tired"

Chris leben has very good submissions

Ronda and Fedor, not a ton of prominent judokas to choose from.

Back