WME-IMG weren't willing to pay me a “really reasonable” amount to return from a 3-year hiatus - GSP

The Sausage King

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
New UFC Owners Have Ditched Plans For 'World F--king Domination'

Right before these international cutbacks started to come in, the big news on the UFC centered on its contract impasse with Georges St-Pierre, by far the biggest MMA star to ever come out of Canada. According to GSP, the new owners were not keen on paying him what he deemed a “really reasonable” amount to return from a three-year hiatus, withdrawing an offer Fertitta had made before he resigned his post as chairman and CEO. Apparently, they did not want to take on the perceived “financial risk” of reintroducing him to the MMA audience.

It’s also worth noting that the UFC elected not to match Bellator MMA’s contract offer to Rory MacDonald, Canada’s second-most popular fighter behind St-Pierre, when he was testing free agency in August. Without the country’s two biggest names, and an overall shallow card from top to bottom, UFC 206 in Toronto has clearly taken a backseat to the company’s other year-end cards — UFC 205 in New York and UFC 207 in Vegas.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattcon...ans-for-world-f-king-domination/#7b5d44ad211d

Interesting to see the new guys in charge not willing to cave to pay demands from the likes of GSP. They probably consider him old hat and not worth the money. It will make many fighters who want to walk away for a couple of years think twice before doing so. IMG are gonna squeeze every last ounce they can from the fighters.

I remember when Canada got the first stadium show, multiple cards a year and was producing a lot of talent.

UFC sure killed that market.

Ari doesn't give a fuck

200.gif

I remember when Canada got the first stadium show, multiple cards a year and was producing a lot of talent.

If Canada loves GSP more than the sport of MMA, they don't deserve the UFC. GSP was the Canadian market. Once he left, there was no reason to beg Canadian fans to love the UFC. I say, fuck em'.

If Canada loves GSP more than the sport of MMA, they don't deserve the UFC. GSP was the Canadian market. Once he left, there was no reason to beg Canadian fans to love the UFC. I say, fuck em'.

Kinda true actually. It was only GSP who was a big draw. Rory obviously didn't live up to the expectations. Maybe things would have been different had Rory been a star over there.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Canadians.

I just spit out my maple syrup in disgust.

GSPs og contract allowed him millions in sponsors. The UFC should match that since they took away his sponsors. He is the best fighter the ufc has ever had under contract, they should make it happen

GSP - I want to return to the UFC. Pay me, bitches !

Ari - Hi GSP. I'm Ari, the new guy in charge of the UFC. Here's my offer; eat shit.

GSP - You can't talk to me like that ! I am your gateway to Canada !

Ari - LOL Canada - the place where Maple Syrup and hockey is life ? No, you'll get your standard pay rate because you're standard now. It's been 3 years and no one gives a fuck about you.

GSP - Fine, I'll leave to Bellator !

Ari - LOL OK, enjoy yourself. No, we aren't going to validiate your parking ticket. Now, fuck off.

GSP - You haven't heard the last of me !

Ari - Goodbye, GPS.

GSP - IT'S G S P !!

Ari - No one cares.

I really don't understand the logic here, if adding GSP to the card will add an additional 400,000 PPV buys for example, as well as a couple extra mill to the gate (not unreasonable considering how big GSP is in Canada), surely he's worth the money.

Kinda true actually. It was only GSP who was a big draw. Rory obviously didn't live up to the expectations. Maybe things would have been different had Rory been a star over there.

GSP only did one show in Toronto and he was never asked back. The only reason they sold out the Rogers Centre is because it was Ontario's first legal MMA show. That's it!

If Bellator snatches St-Pierre, and they do a supershow at the Rogers Centre with St-Pierre and MacDonald on the card, then UFC dun goof'd.

Bellator could take the Canadian market in one fell swoop.

I really don't understand the logic here, if adding GSP to the card will add an additional 400,000 PPV buys for example, as well as a couple extra mill to the gate (not unreasonable considering how big GSP is in Canada), surely he's worth the money.

I think the new guys want overall quality over quantity. They are thinking the UFC has over-saturated the market with too many cards, too many fighters. I don't think it's the worst idea in the world to go this route.

My perspective is that you are correct. 95% of people up here don't know or care about any non-GSP fighters.

I dont think Toronto gives a FOOK if anyone on the card is actually a Canadian. Just give us a decent card, how about that??

I think the new guys want overall quality over quantity. They are thinking the UFC has over-saturated the market with too many cards, too many fighters. I don't think it's the worst idea in the world to go this route.

So... GSP isn't a quality fighter?

hahaha, as someone said, it's unbelievable, but these new owners are even MORE greedy than dana and lorenzo (I know, dana is still there, but you get the point)

you mean, WME killed it. well, ufc helped too, with dana bashing gsp nonstop

50-44 over askren.

3rd round sub over Conor.

You must have forgot who GSP is, TS.

Back