What was the general consensus on Sherdog before Mir/Lesnar 2?

13 others

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This place must of been lit up with Conor like threads about Lesnar, especially since he managed to bang up Mir a bit during his debut, but also managed to stop Herring and Couture before the eventual rematch at UFC 100, where we saw Lesnar destroy Mir.

My main question is, did he have a lot of believers at this point? And was this place Armageddonesque after the Lesnar win?

A. Brock didn't stop Herring. boring UD were he dominated but never got close to finishing the fight
B. Alot of people who were giving honest opinions thought Brock would win, or at least I did. Better athlete could avoid the striking altogether and take Frank down and pound him.

I hoped Mir would win. I was not Shocked that Lesnar beat him easily. I was more shocked by the post fight interview.

That's about it.

GSP is my favourite fighter. He had already taken care of business with a busted groin. It was all good.

It was perfectly reasonable and everybody was in agreement.
Sherdog is that way.

A lot of the new Brock fans on sherdog were parroting conspiracy theories about Mir being gifted the win and their first fight due to Mazz fucking up.
I think it's safe to say the majority thought he'd beat Mir. At this point we didn't know that Brock was afraid of getting hit, I think most people rational people saw it as a close fight just due to the nature of heavyweight.
Mir did himself no favors in promotion though, he came off kind of douchey even though I personally liked it.

Last edited:
The Brock insanity didn't really jump into high gear until after he beat Mir. Before Mir/Lesnar 2 it was alot of people thinking the fight would be pretty similar to the first IIRC.

I remember I predicted a one sided beatdown with a round 2 finish

There was no general consensus. It seemed like a toss-up at the time.

I hoped Mir would win. I was not Shocked that Lesnar beat him easily. I was more shocked by the post fight interview.

That's about it.

GSP is my favourite fighter. He had already taken care of business with a busted groin. It was all good.
GSP? Damn ZzZZzzZZzZzzZ boring as fuck

The GOAT Conor will teach him how to fight and be exciting

GSP? Damn ZzZZzzZZzZzzZ boring as fuck

The GOAT Conor will teach him how to fight and be exciting

1452897219822.gif

I don't remember what the fuck was going on here at that time . I was just a lurker and was just mesmerized by the whole MMA thing. I just remember UFC 100 seeming magical. And the Buffer 360 :D

I don't remember what the fuck was going on here at that time . I was just a lurker and was just mesmerized by the whole MMA thing. I just remember UFC 100 seeming magical. And the Buffer 360 :D

It was pretty magical man. I remember me and about 10 buddies that I went to highschool with at the time being crammed into my living room, and us being blown outta out minds by the whole thing.

IIRC, Brock was slightly favored here, but that also had to do with Brawk's legion of fans already hailing him as the HW GOAT. I thought Mir would win via triangle. After the fight many thought no one would beat Brock.

Brock slightly favored lot's of ppl who would call themselves "purest" if you will where rooting for Mir hoping skill and experience would win over size and strength. A lot of ppl were talking about passed Mir TKO's and as pointed out everyone thought that Lesnar was some striking powerhouse after dropping Herring and Couture.

Overall though a large portion thought it was a toss up if Mir were to grab a limb.

Mir looked in great shape but was the smallest he'd ever been and for some reason seemed to have focused mostly on striking, as if he and Brock were going to be doing much striking. I think Brock was the betting favorite and also a slight favorite on here.

This place must of been lit up with Conor like threads about Lesnar, especially since he managed to bang up Mir a bit during his debut, but also managed to stop Herring and Couture before the eventual rematch at UFC 100, where we saw Lesnar destroy Mir.

My main question is, did he have a lot of believers at this point? And was this place Armageddonesque after the Lesnar win?
There were obviously 2 sides to the tale, and then everryone in the middle.

Lesnars gnp was his best weapon but mirs is his submissions so its always a discussion of "whos more dangerous on the ground"

Mir fans made fun of brocks penis tattoo relentlessly and brock fans would talk about how brock was a goat and how his "raw natural talent set him apart from any fighter before him".

its a lot lke th mcrgregor talks actually.

A guy who really hasnt done that much but people blow way out of preportion.

It was pretty magical man. I remember me and about 10 buddies that I went to highschool with at the time being crammed into my living room, and us being blown outta out minds by the whole thing.
haha I was in school too then, you just reminded me when I used to do Brock Lesnar impressions of him saying "Frank Murr" lool good times :D

Back